Redman, Ridley, McGrath
Martin Parish Langford
Jones Wright Tippa
Davey Weideman Stringer

Draper Merrett Hobbs

Cox, Caldwell, Shiel, Durham.

By mid year I would like:

• BZT in for Kelly
  • Baldwin putting pressure on Weideman/Jones.
  • Munkara/Tex/Guelfi putting pressure on the small forwards.
  • Tsatas/Wardlaw/Phillipou/Voss/Perkins putting pressure on our mid/forward rotations.

Hopefully we have some players in good form in the 2s (Pick 4, Munkara, Tex, Baldwin, BZT, Bryan, Guelfi, Snelling, Voss) all ready to pounce if one in the 22 slips up.

I don’t want to see Stewart, Hind or Phillips getting opportunities instead of the above without some seriously irresistible form.

1 Like

Think we might’ve found a role for the ex-skip, he’s probably the perfect sub, given that he can play a few positions and being a leader, should be able to step-in and give it his all.

1 Like

1’s

Ridley Zerk Heppell
Redman Lav McGrath
Durham Shiel Martin
Langford Stewart Perkins
Stringer 2MP Hobbs
Draper Parish Merrett
Setterfield Caldwell Guelfi Cox
Hind

2’s

Kelly Reid Eyre
Lord McBride D’Ambroisio
pick4 Rasinac Atley
Menzie Voss Wanga
Weidemen Baldwin Jones
Bryan Bernacki Snelling
Davey Phillips
3 Likes

B: McGrath Reid Laverde

HB: Redman Ridley D’Ambrosio

C: Martin Shiel Merrett

HF: Perkins Weideman Hobbs

F: Stringer Wright Walla

Foll: Draper Parish Caldwell

Interchange: Setterfield, Guelfi, Cox, Langford

Sub: Heppell

Emerg: Durham, Hind, Jones

Apologies: Kelly, Snelling, BZT, Phillips

2 Likes

When will the AFL let us know there will be a 5 man bench.

Brad Scott probably knows. That’s all that matters

4 Likes

Best 22 going off the statements from the club.

• Weideman would have been sold a best 22 spot, as the third tall and second ruck.
  • seems like they’re going to persist with Stewart in key defence so Lav doesn’t have to play the main role
  • I see a lot of people don’t have Snelling in their best 22, but he will likely be picked if fit.

Laverde Stewart Ridley
McGrath Redman Hind

Martin Draper Langford
Parish Shiel Merrett

Perkins Jones Snelling
Guelfi Wright Stringer

Bench: Z-T, Caldwell, Setterfield, Weideman

I think the unknowns are:

• whether the coaches pick Kelly or Z-T for the 4th tall role. Assuming Stewart gets moved back to defence, I can’t see both of Kelly and BZT playing.
  • whether Hobbs or Setterfield gets the 2nd bench midfielder spot. Setterfield may get preferred as he has the more developed body and can play a more defensive role.
  • whether Scott will want to play Heppell for his experience

It’s an exciting time from a list position to think that if we get a good injury run, we could potentially have Hobbs, Tsatas and Setterfield in the VFL

I Hope Stewart isn’t going to be persisted in defence, thought that had failed and moved back as a forward. or just as KPP cover.

Much prefer Zerk-Thatcher in defence,

7 Likes

I think we need to fast track high level kicking and vision into the backline. I don’t mind Merrett floating back from the midfield but I hate the idea of him playing as a half back, it would take too much freedom from his game.

Pump games into D’Ambrosio back there

2 Likes

I really don’t want Stewart anywhere near defence unless it does to an injury crises of epic proportions. As far as I’m concerned the kpd depth chart (including punch hitters) looks like this

1. Rids
  2. Zerk
  3. Lav
  4. Reid
  5. McBride
  6. Weid
  7. Voss
  8. Kelly
  9. Stewart

Has eyre retained a spot, can’t remember

No announcement either way for Eyre so far

I think (like always seemingly with Essendon) it’s less about talent and more about balance.

Z-T, Ridley, Lav and Kelly is just undersized as a group. Until Reid puts on about 10kgs, Stewart is viewed as the placeholder.

Not much love for Baldwin here. I think he may be one to take the next step.

4 Likes

Please no more Stewart in the backline - that effort last year in the goal square when he failed to touch the ball was the last straw. Some players just don’t have the desire/commitment/desperation required to be a good defender.

Please no more Heppell in the backline - slow decision making, slow moving, loopy kicks and handballs to peoples feet don’t cut it coming out of the backline in todays game.

4 Likes

Cox is a KP backline option in my opinion.

3 Likes

Ridley has performed well against the big guys in the past. lav has held his own too. Zerk has come on significantly in the last 12 months.

i think the quality of our defense has more to do with what happens up the field and how they organize themselves than it does with putting in an extra 200cm guy. if we do the stuff up the field right zerk, lav and rids are perfectly capable of controlling the defensive 50 IMO. if we don’t get the stuff up field right it doesn’t matter who is there

Cox should go high in that list after Reid. I’d swap McBride and Weideman too.

1 Like

Ridley has been good against the more athletic forwards but no way you want him on Tom Hawkins or Harry McKay. You don’t want BZT on them either

1 Like