The case for Ben Ainsworth

Asked my brother whose son did pre season with gippy power about Ainsworth. Very gifted small forward but can’t handle a tag - undisciplined.

McCluggage or Mcgrath better

As long as he doesnt get into trouble off-field and bring the club under scrutiny, he can be the biggest arrogant ■■■■ the AFL has ever seen if he kicks 3+ goals each week

Don’t know if we’ll pick him, but I reckon he’ll turn out to be the most damaging player from the draft.

Ainsworth has the potential to be the best small forward in the comp and I don’t think it will take him long to reach it either. I could see him making an immediate impact for a finals team next year.

In two years time, we’ll do a copy and paste of the Lav thread and change the name.

Are you the houli dooli I met Saturday night?

Yeah mate was good to meet some Blitz royalty about town! How was your first hit out at CQ?

Didn’t mind the joint at all.

We should look at picking up these 2 beasts
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
JB x Houli cutting shapes

**also have no idea why it’s rotated like that considering the pic is normal on my phone and on tinypic… useless!

I honestly think Ainsworth’s absolute best footy is better than McCluggage, Brodie and McGraths, but consistency is a massive problem, Kicks 4 goals in 1qtr vs Metro , next game gets 7 possessions vs Allies.
Ainsworth is as good as a small forward you could hope to ever draft, what a talent he is.

I have actually thought of how awesome it would be with Ainsworth Tippa and Fantasia, but McCluggage, Parish, Heppell, Merrett standout just that little bit more for mine.

Great effort putting this tread together by the way.

Are you the houli dooli I met Saturday night?

Yeah mate was good to meet some Blitz royalty about town! How was your first hit out at CQ?

Didn’t mind the joint at all.

We should look at picking up these 2 beasts
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
JB x Houli cutting shapes

**also have no idea why it’s rotated like that considering the pic is normal on my phone and on tinypic… useless!

Hahaha shiiiet!! Couple of heads or what lol
Was good to meet you mate even if I can’t recall a heap of what was said haha.

The kids about as loose as it gets, has a ■■■■ manager that will only cause problems and has question marks over his endurance and midfield nous.

No chance for Pick 1

When you are talking about a very high pick, perhaps even pick 1, you are obliged to mention the knocks as well as the attributes. I would be shocked if a clear top 10 player didn't have a highlights package to back that up. But the weaknesses should be noted.

The knocks on Ainsworth include:

• Professionalism - does he rely too much on his natural talent?
  • Tank
  • Midfield nous - will he ever be a star mid worthy of the invested pick
  • Size
  • Agility - I am told he lacks agility
  • Character - Is he a team player?
  • Conners - already mentioned

I also note that the highlight package included a lot of 2015 footage from his championships as a bottom ager.

SPS also played as a bottom ager last year and from what I saw of him last year, had an even more impressive list of highlights from that year. SPS showed last year that he was a scintillating talent. I don’t know what has held him back this year, but if you want a highlights package I suggest you look at what SPS managed to do in a weak team as a skinny bottom ager in last year’s champs.

Ainsworth has reportedly been getting 30 disposal games and kicking goals since the end of the nationals.

For me the absolute dream is getting Ainsworth and McCluggage somehow. Won’t happen but I think that would further us a lot like Parish and Francis, Lav and Lang, and Zachy and Raz.

Its incredibly unlikely, but could happen. The necessary ingredients are: we trade #1 for #5 & #7, Freo goes tall (which I kind of think they have to do, but is limited by players available), Brisbane bid on Bowes and then take the Lion’s supporter SPS. Then it could pan out as:

#1 McGrath (GS)
#2 Bowes (wiping out GC’s #4)
#3 SPS (Brisbane’s pick)
#4 English (Freo)
#5 McCluggage
#6 Brodie (GCS)
#7 Ainsworth

If we got #5 and #7, it would definitely be on the cards.

Do not want. Don't know him personally but know some twins drafted last year that think he's a real turd.

The twins that play at Carlton and North Melbourne respectively.

Do not want. Don't know him personally but know some twins drafted last year that think he's a real turd.
I mean Essendon cannot possibly have drafted turd people. Hurley belted a taxi driver. Pig threatened someone at 3am in a subway. Lovett got investigated for rape. Eades got into trouble that no one mentions what it was. Carlisle is a coke fiend.

Total alter-boys at Essendon.

Of course personality factors into drafting. By all clubs. The fact that some clubs rate a player talented enough to offset the perceived attitude deficiencies doesn’t mean they did factor them in.

Also all the players you mentioned got into trouble after we had drafted them. Would we have picked up someone if they had been accused of rape or drug use prior to the draft?

Then there is the fact that Ainsworth isn’t a stand out at our pick so if all things are equal (ish) you go for someone with a stable personality. And who doesn’t have a ■■■■ manager.

“Average bloke” is relative. Is he cheating on his Mrs or is he out on bail awaiting a murder trial? It’s all relative and it’s all a matter of perspective. Maybe he thinks said twins are dickheads. Who knows.

What people need to remember is our boys aren’t perfect. If you ranked each list from 1-44 in terms of “good bloke-ness” each club’s #44 would probably be a pretty average bloke. It’s also worth noting that not all players at each club get along with or even associate with one another. And yes, that holds true at EFC. Lloyd said he has 4 close friends from the playing group at EFC (and Blitz golden boy Jimmy isn’t one of them). Is that a slight on Lloyd (or Jimmy)? And would you have picked it when we belted teams till the early morn’ in 2000? ■■■■ no. The question is whether or not they can have a working relationship and form a good culture of what matters at the club and get the best out of themselves and each other. Whether or not Ainsworth can do that I have NFI and I’m not about to guess.

Unless someone has serious character flaws I wouldn’t be putting a line through anyone, what is important is do they have the requisite character and application required to make it in footy without getting distracted or going off the rails. Which is just another factor in draft as is kicking, speed, tank, agility, strength, size, leadership etc.

Shall we rename you Sandra sulley?
"Average bloke" is relative. Is he cheating on his Mrs or is he out on bail awaiting a murder trial? It's all relative and it's all a matter of perspective. Maybe he thinks said twins are dickheads. Who knows.

What people need to remember is our boys aren’t perfect. If you ranked each list from 1-44 in terms of “good bloke-ness” each club’s #44 would probably be a pretty average bloke. It’s also worth noting that not all players at each club get along with or even associate with one another. And yes, that holds true at EFC. Lloyd said he has 4 close friends from the playing group at EFC (and Blitz golden boy Jimmy isn’t one of them). Is that a slight on Lloyd (or Jimmy)? And would you have picked it when we belted teams till the early morn’ in 2000? ■■■■ no. The question is whether or not they can have a working relationship and form a good culture of what matters at the club and get the best out of themselves and each other. Whether or not Ainsworth can do that I have NFI and I’m not about to guess.

Unless someone has serious character flaws I wouldn’t be putting a line through anyone, what is important is do they have the requisite character and application required to make it in footy without getting distracted or going off the rails. Which is just another factor in draft as is kicking, speed, tank, agility, strength, size, leadership etc.

If he’s a once-in-a-generation player it can be overlooked. But if he’s top 5 in an even top 5 he’s getting picked 5th.

Shall we rename you Sandra sulley?

just saying that these guys don’t even play at esendon, so don’t really value their opinion. People can be dicks as juniors and grow out of it, some don’t
If we trade pick 1 for 5+7 would have no probs with selecting him, knowing he has Connors as his manager, and by the sounds of it is very confident in his abilities. Foggy saying he is a turd, isn’t really saying he has substance issues or anything like that to be concerned about.

I would be more concerned about what Parish thinks of him, he played with him last year.

An “average bloke” would be the highest honor at Whoreforn.

Whether people like it or not, the players' character comes into it when recruiters are at the selection table.

If he had the right attitude then he has the talent to be the number one pick. But he won’t even be top 3.

The Dustin Martin comparison is hilarious. Remember how he was shipped around last year and not a single club wanted him? That had nothing to do with his footy ability.

Well there you go you can see he has the talent to be number 1. That is huge in itself.

When you refer to his attitude are you referring to his ability to play to instruction, adhere to team rules, doubts on his thirst for the contest etc?
Or more just what he is like off the field? I can handle him being arrogant. I think we need a bit of arrogance actually.

I know for a fact from people who would know, Toby Greene is an absolute farking menace off field with some of the ■■■■ he gets up to but look, he’s an All-Australian, hits the scoreboard, stands up for his team mates and isn’t afraid to take it to the opposition. He’d be an assett to any team as I feel Ainsworth would be. But as Dell said, if what you’re withholding about Ainsworth is gravely serious then I take your point and it’s fair that we look elsewhere.

Dale and Lindsay.

Further, imagine if he was indigenous. Wouldn’t get drafted at all.