The concert and gig thread

Queen with Adam Lambert heading back this way next year. Really enjoyed these guys last time - hoping for additional shows to be announced, would go multiple times!

Here’s some good news. Some very very good news.

Architect confirmed for the revival of a live music icon

Kirsty Sier

You know a venue is loved when it comes to be best-known not by its actual name, but by an affectionate nickname.

Such is the case with The Esplanade Hotel in St Kilda, locally known as ‘The Espy’. The 139-year-old building has not only become a staple of Melbourne’s music scene over the century-plus of its existence, it has also become something of an architectural landmark.

In recent years, however, The Espy has been in a dire state of disrepair. For two years, its doors were shut to the public, and its future seemed unclear. During this time, many locals feared its demolition and ultimate replacement by a high-rise residential development, but in March it was confirmed that this was not to be the hotel’s fate. The historic landmark was purchased by Sand Hill Road – an entertainment agency whose portfolio includes some of Melbourne’s best-loved watering holes, such as The Terminus Hotel and Prahran Hotel – who planned on giving the venue a second lease on life.

Now, it’s been revealed that Sand Hill has commissioned another hospitality veteran for The Espy’s refurbishment. Technē Architecture, whose formidable hospitality portfolio includes a number of projects – The Garden State Hotel, Prahran Hotel and Bridge Hotel among them – that are managed by Sand Hill, has been announced as the project architect for The Espy’s second wind.

Although the project is in its very early design stages, Technē’s director and project leader, Justin Northrop, says the firm is planning a “top-to-bottom overhaul” of the venue, which will include opening up several areas within The Espy that have previously been underutilised.

“The renovation will be a top-to-bottom overhaul of the venue, opening up some areas that had previously been inaccessible to patrons and breathing life into new spaces,” says Northrop.

“We’re looking forward to opening up new spaces within The Espy and telling the stories associated with these rooms. The Espy also has a massive archive of original gig posters that we’re hoping to involve in the new design.

“We have an overarching stylistic direction for the refurbishment but the functional brief isn’t static. It will continue to evolve through the sketch design process and as the possibilities of the spaces are revealed.”

While the word “overhaul” suggests an insensitivity to the long-standing heritage of the architectural icon, Northrop says this is not the case. The first touchpoint for the design process was the existing architectural design of The Espy, with all its “rich, layered history”.

“Our vision for The Espy will be mindful of its heritage, its legacy and the esteem in which it is held,” says Northrop. “We want to remain true to the spirit of The Espy and create a space that continues to inspire such dedication from its patrons.

“While the venue will undergo a full reinvigoration, we’re working to retain the venue’s rich history, and some areas – such as the Gershwin Room – will remain largely untouched.

“We want the rough edges and layers of The Espy’s history to remain in-tact. The building has developed a fantastic patina over the years and it would be wrong to remove these elements, as they date back to its establishment."

At this stage, it’s too early to know what the new Espy will look like. However, Technē says that the design process is well underway, with construction expected to commence by the end of the year. Sand Hill plans to reopen The Espy – including the aforementioned spaces that were not previously open to the public – by October 2018.

1 Like

Radio Birdman in 3…2…

Kim Salmon was pretty ■■■■■■ rockin just then.

They should be selling Grecian 2000 at the merch stand. Would outsell the t shirts

1 Like

Miss Bomberben and I went to see Mozart’s Mitridate re di ponto at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden last night. The Times called it a cross between the Rocky Horror Show and Gladiator. There’s some weird stage stuff going on right there. A couple of the singers were late inclusions in the selected side because of late injuries to KPPs. It was interesting watching the rotations in the orchestra pit. A timpanist would sneak in - hit a couple of notes and then disappear again. Was like watching a goal scorer running off to sit on the bench.

Tell you what.

Aside from average sound quality in parts, that was aomw kind of show. 40 years since they kicked off, still got stage presence, rhythm and throttled that set. Quite surprised to be honest.

Super excited, My baby girl playing support gig here (display homes) tomorrow night at the metro in Sydney, Come and say gadday if you are going

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFpaZmIWsAEZXX-.jpg

3 Likes

Penny wise + The Bronx October 27th at Forum.

I’ll likely go along, the last gig at the Corber was old school chaos. Smashed guitars, Navajo dwarf roadies, some guys wheel chair ending up on stage without him. Fun times

1 Like

…and Fletcher totally wasted and not finishing half the songs

Grinspoon tonight franga

Yeah, first time I’ve seen a band just wanting to sack someone mid set. And it might’ve been you, but someone on hear said that fletcher went outside and caved in the roof of a taxi. Lol. Was a fun show.

Saw them here in Cairns on Thursday night. Awesome night! The band sounded good and Phil’s vocals were great.

Went to see The Screaming Jets last weekend. The Jets were solid but the Chelsa Rockwells, a 3-piece from the Gold Coast, were super impressive.

Oils ticket for Sydney has arrived. Not for Sidney Myer though.

I’ve booked the Caloundra music festival for my birthday. Spiderbait, British India, Xavier Rudd and a few others. There’s a bit of overlap with Pseudo Echo and Parliament; Oh no what do I do?

about to see Lift to Experience. Reformed after their 1 album 17 or 18 years ago. Should be interesting.

Oils ticket arrives in the mail on the same day I get an invite to 40th year school reunion…same farking day

1 Like

Dweezil Zappa, Tivoli Brisbane in February. Been waiting a while for this one.

1 Like

Oils!

2 Likes

Gangs of youth are playing Friday across the road from the SCG. Not sure if they will have tix on the door if looking for something to do.

I’m broke. Always find things to do when money is tight.

Original lineup of Veruca Salt returning to Melbourne next March.

2 Likes

Saw these guys in 94 in Amsterdam, just after Seether was released, was a pretty good show. My big regret at that time was missing out on seeing Bettie Servent - tickets all sold out…