The concert and gig thread

Ticketmaster site doesn’t seem to want to give away the ticket price for the Hangin Rock gig. Got it for the Bowl, … but not that one?

Anyone have an idea what they’re worth, or if I’m doing something wrong?

Cheers mate. Same page, & as I said, the drop down gave the Bowl price … wonder WTF is going on there ?

Edit: Ah, I see, Bowl was under Prices link, … that one is under event info link. Nice work Ticketmaster!

Got tickets to see Patti smith and nice support with little miss Courtney Barnett

Off to see Ups And Downs (superb Brisbane band from late 80's-early 90's, same genre as Go-Betweens/the Church, couple of Double J/Triple J hits - Perfect Crime, The Living Kind, Solitary Man, Lit By The Fuse - way back when) in April. Never thought I'd see the day!! Last saw them playing with The Hummingbirds in 1988 (!!) Footage of them playing gigs a few years ago sounded great, which augers very well indeed...
My brother put me onto them not that long ago. I didn't realise Big Heavy Stuff guys had an earlier band, and was impressed by the stuff I listened to on YouTube.
Off to see Ups And Downs (superb Brisbane band from late 80's-early 90's, same genre as Go-Betweens/the Church, couple of Double J/Triple J hits - Perfect Crime, The Living Kind, Solitary Man, Lit By The Fuse - way back when) in April. Never thought I'd see the day!! Last saw them playing with The Hummingbirds in 1988 (!!) Footage of them playing gigs a few years ago sounded great, which augers very well indeed...
My brother put me onto them not that long ago. I didn't realise Big Heavy Stuff guys had an earlier band, and was impressed by the stuff I listened to on YouTube.

Ups & Downs are somewhat lighter and more jangly than Big Heavy Stuff, but no less good. If you like Greg Atkinson’s sublime voice and knack for a melody, then you’ll definitely like U&D (their EP “Sleepless” is an Australian classic IMO). It’s also worth checking out the Atkinson brothers’ CD “Worker Bees” which was released after BHS finished. This project is what ultimately morphed into U&D again, since they ended up with various members either playing live with them or on the record.

Second row ticket to Oils @ The Domain: check.

Sidney Myer pre-sale tickets open 4pm.

Not doing Hanging Rock? Better value for bucks by far, and provides the “Weekend getaway” opportunity.

I thought three in a week might be overkill, even for a legendary live band like this…

The Sydney show is the last in the tour, and maybe forever, so it won out.

Fair enough.

Meant to ask you at the Barby,… did you go to Sydney for the Wave Aid gig?

Fair enough.

Meant to ask you at the Barby,… did you go to Sydney for the Wave Aid gig?

Nope.

If I could be guaranteed a set heavy on stuff from Species Deceases back, I’d go see the Oils again in a heartbeat. Unfortunately (with the exception of Redneck Wonderland, which had teeth, and Diesel & Dust, which was OK) I didn’t really connect with anything thereafter.

Seeing them around Red Sails… was breathtaking.
Seeing them at Kooyong on the Species Decease tour was spectacular.
Seeing them on their Blue Sky Mining era tour (at the Tennis Centre) was severely underwhleming - there was barely anything from their back catalogue.
Seeing them barely a week later at the hastily-convened “Concert for The Kids” at the Music Bowl offered some redemption. They delved reasonably heavily into their past (“Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers” played with the Salvation Army Brass Band was simply awesome!). One of the best concerts I’ve been to.
Seeing them on the Earth and Sun and Moon tour again was disappointing. Again, virtually nothing pre-Diesel & Dust.

The only time they seemed inclined to offer any significant portion of the back catalogue was on the 20,000W RSL tour, and then it was only the luck of the draw as to what the “chocolate wheel” landed on…

Don’t get me wrong - they were still a decent live act. It’s just that they became almost too well rehearsed as time went on, and there seemed to be little remaining of the energy, edge (and danger) of their earlier shows. Even Garrett’s rants seemed a bit tame.

I’m content to listen to the records - from Head Injuries to Species Deceases is as good a string of releases as any Australian band has ever put together!

Ha. Not sure what the point of a presale is, Sidney Myer, when you only sell the lawn spots.

Agreed DJR . But I didnt want to run the risk and miss out. GA for me.

If I could be guaranteed a set heavy on stuff from Species Deceases back, I'd go see the Oils again in a heartbeat. Unfortunately (with the exception of Redneck Wonderland, which had teeth, and Diesel & Dust, which was OK) I didn't really connect with anything thereafter.

Seeing them around Red Sails… was breathtaking.
Seeing them at Kooyong on the Species Decease tour was spectacular.
Seeing them on their Blue Sky Mining era tour (at the Tennis Centre) was severely underwhleming - there was barely anything from their back catalogue.
Seeing them barely a week later at the hastily-convened “Concert for The Kids” at the Music Bowl offered some redemption. They delved reasonably heavily into their past (“Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers” played with the Salvation Army Brass Band was simply awesome!). One of the best concerts I’ve been to.
Seeing them on the Earth and Sun and Moon tour again was disappointing. Again, virtually nothing pre-Diesel & Dust.

The only time they seemed inclined to offer any significant portion of the back catalogue was on the 20,000W RSL tour, and then it was only the luck of the draw as to what the “chocolate wheel” landed on…

Don’t get me wrong - they were still a decent live act. It’s just that they became almost too well rehearsed as time went on, and there seemed to be little remaining of the energy, edge (and danger) of their earlier shows. Even Garrett’s rants seemed a bit tame.

I’m content to listen to the records - from Head Injuries to Species Deceases is as good a string of releases as any Australian band has ever put together!

Yeah, I’m a bit apprehensive also and, like you, didn’t connect with much of their later stuff. I’m taking the risk anyway, hoping the Brisbane Riverstage is a good venue being not too big.

Just bought my Oils ticket for here in Perth :slight_smile:

Oils for Sunny Coast. : B)

Ha, I just realised I’m pretty much guaranteed to get Armistice Day at the Sydney concert.

http://www.midnightoil.com/new-shows-added-in-sydney-and-melbourne/

The new concerts will take place in Melbourne on Wed 8 Nov at Sidney Myer Music Bowl and in Sydney on Fri 17 Nov at The Domain.

Pre-sale tickets to the new Melbourne and Sydney concerts will be available to Midnight Oil fans who have signed up to the band’s newsletter from 1:00pm AEDT on Mon 6 Mar for 24 hours

My sister was using a link (viago…) provided by a ‘friend’ to buy Domain tix and was going to surprise me with one to lure me down from Bris. This was on the day they went on sale and they were asking 350-400+ EACH. She had trouble with the system, thankfully, and didn’t end up getting any. She phoned and told me about it, at which point I said she could have one of the 3 I just got for Brisbane at the official price, fly up and back and still have change in her pocket. What a farkin rort.
(Also, if I’d have missed out I was just going to anchor my boat on that bend in the river about 80m from the stage, listen and stay the night, though there may be a few others with similar ideas so could be a bit congested)

Oils at music bowl is locked in! First time since early 90s. Never been to a concert at the bowl. Is it any good?
Yes, but as with any venue alot comes down to the quality of reinforcement and the mix. MO have generally got this right in the past.