The Defintion of Insanity - following the EFC

Remember that @westozziebomber bloke. Seemed to be super passionate. Always loved his views and rants.

2 Likes

It might be a saying but that doesn’t make it remotely accurate. You shouldn’t believe something just because people parrot it. If that’s your point then you’re way off the mark.

Nor is it relevant to the EFC. Essendon’s issue is more along the lines of doing things differently each time and getting similar results.

So what I take out of this, is you want us to go after Ratten?

I didn’t express myself well. I was genuinely concerned that some posters are so affected by how ■■■■ the club has been that is has sucked all their enjoyment out of watching, what is at the end of the day, a game.

It is a throw away line to go follow another club, for some on here, i think the club is adversely affecting them. For them, i was suggesting that they should do something else.

2 Likes

I don’t hear anybody suggest we should win it every year or even every ten years but it’s not too much to ask that we win 1 friggin final FFS. That’s what upsets people the most IMO. Sure a flag would be great but just winning a final would be a massive achievement for this club

5 Likes

What exactly is the evidence for this?

Our form this season… dahhh

You simply have to grab all the saga yrs and minus them from the 15 year without a finals win.
And you could argue the years since then.

Still not good enough,but not quite as bad as 15 yrs is.

We all know the mistakes Sheeds made in his last couple years,the Knights appointment and then well, the rest we know.

Its been farked,but maybe we should be asking ourselves, “Does this list have the talent to win a final?” I say yes.

Thats how you remain hopeful.

4 Likes

Don’t think I am naive, but up until the point McKernan went down thought finals were a definite possibility for EFC.
Maybe you could also throw in the fact I’m just not a miserable c…t.
Might have something also to do with having them winning a lot more than 5 games like a few others predicted, you spring to mind actually.

This thing our much loved and often frustrating club is good at is giving us fans a glimpse of what we could be like. A couple of cracking wins, sneaking into the finals (and then getting flogged), an exciting brand of footy, some great recruits or a mark/goal of the year.

It’s just good enough to keep us thinking we will be better next year…we usually are not.

Every time I tell the Humbles “gee we will be good next year” they look at me with a sad smile…

When you follow the EFC “there’s always next year”.

3 Likes

Only three clubs have performed consistently well in the 2000s; Dorks, Geelong and Sydaney.
No other club has had the saga to deal with. Lack of draft picks were a big punishment. We got thru that relatively intact. Survival not premierships was the objective. We are not broke and have 80000 members.
And this year our best 2017 AA forward never fired a shot.
And last trade period attracted 3 first class recruits to the club, and selected a NAB rising star only 2 years ago.
AFL is a hard business and mistakes are easy to make. We made 2 diabolical decisions in the last 15 years; handled post Sheedy era badly and listened to the weapon, Robinson.
However we are definitely making more good decisions than bad decisions of late and we need to stick fat.
Carlton, Melb, Richmond, Dogs, Saints, Power, Dockers, Crows, North have done no better than us over last 20 yrs.

2 Likes

Say what you want about WOB, but he certainly came good on his promise to leave. Last post: July 9. Last time online: July 9.

That’s the problem. That’s actually been the problem for 15 years.

Have we started wondering down blitz memory lane in here yet or do I need to stay out a while longer?

2 Likes

No memory lane for me, I’m dreaming of the future but the hurt of failed seasons remains. I take posters point that it’s just a game. Thing is, most are emotionally invested and turning off the love/passion for the club is not an option.

So we sit patiently, waiting for the day when the team becomes footy relevant again. It’s been a long wait. At seasons’ end most are feeling empty at hope being dashed yet again. Actually, after the euphoria of Sydney, to come crashing down against my most despised team only heightens the angst unfortunately.

3 Likes

And; we are also the ones who are left behind when the famous catch cry comes, “just move on.”

Almost everything in football clubs changes, the beloved red and black, including the jumper design - except the supporters who rarely change clubs at this club anyway.

duplication of post

Melbourne haven’t won a flag since 1964, they have the longest premiership drought of any team in the game, and last played in a GF in 2000. How competitive they will be in the finals this years remains to be seen. Not the best example to choose.

3 Likes

Fair point, although since their refresh 5 years ago Melbourne have made steady progress with the development of a strong list / game plan that looks capable of winning finals while Essendon play a flakey brand of footy that produces some highlights and that’s about it. Cold hard facts say that Essendon have gone backwards this year + the mettle/quality of their list to play finals footy remains an unknown.

1 Like

It is almost 3 years since the toughest sanctions ever imposed on a team hit EFC. If you give Melbourne 5, then you should afford the Bombers the same amount of time, given that they are coming from further back.

1 Like