The Defintion of Insanity - following the EFC

Forget the whining over this year, it was done after round 8.

But 2019 is sinply a must make finals and be competitive winning one if not all of them.

Sadly where everyone loves our game plan, i worry incredibly about our forward line continually standing behind there man and never leading at the ball, as has been done since lloyd retired

2 Likes

I just don’t get how the happy clappers can actually be content with what was delivered this year. Our list is far far far too good to be finishing out of the finals and possibly as low at 12th etc…

There is no way to measure this season as anything other than a failure. Neeld the only casualty for yet another chronically under performing season. That’s insanity.

And the talk of the team needing to ‘gel’ was a stupid at the start of the season as it is now. Every single farking club brings in new players… they don’t all finish in the bottom 8 when they do it!

But yeah… we will be told its all good… stay calm… buy memberships, donate to the flight plan and next year will be the one… club needs to take a good hard look in the mirror and work out what it stands for. I posted before the season started as they were announcing another partnership or whatever that results on field are the only thing that matters… and it is still true. Until our club remembers that we are here to win flags… then things won’t improve. It doesn’t matter how much money we have, sponsors we have, fancy training facilities etc etc… if we can’t deliver results on field then we are failing. I hope we get ruthless.

4 Likes

Yep, time for excuses is over.
And scrapping into the 8 won’t cut it.
No finals says coach/assistants are gone.
No finals says changes off field too.
At least top 4 finish in 2019.
Apparently Essendon have the “talent”.
That’s what the club tells supporters.
No more excuses Essendon.
“Time to deliver” …
Maybe that should be the 2019 slogan!?

1 Like

I think you’ll find nobody is content with what we delivered this year. It’s been a very disappointing season after all the preseason hype. What has been good though has been our improvement since round 8, especially without our marquee forward and then losing Smack too. Stringer and Raz also missed games. Our pressure improved massively. We got a lot of the unforced errors out of our game that we saw early in the season.

There has been a lot to like about the way we have been playing. Good consistent football.

But don’t say we are content with how the season has gone. And don’t worry, if next season begins the way this season did then the natives will be getting very restless. This happy clapper included.

4 Likes

Yeah that would be nice. Rather than awarding contract extension in the first month before anything has been farking achieved!!

Imagine if we hadn’t re-signed woosha… would anyone else be wanting his signature now? Would we be wanting it now? No and No for mine.

Club needs to publicly put his job on the line (it should have been this year ffs) and say a finals win or your are gone. There is no grey area here. Every club gets injuries, every campaign will be tricky. Time to deliver or move on.

Not just finals but actually winning (or at least being very very very competitive ) a final is the minimum. Absolute minimum.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I can respect that. Really it is boiling down to where each individuals ‘breaking point’ was…

So, in hindsight, do you think it was the right call to extend Woosha when we did or could it have waited until actual results were delivered?

And yes, I think we have all enjoyed the last 8-10 weeks… much better football and a glimpse of hopefully a very very very bright future!!

1 Like

I had no problem with the extension at the time. Fast forward 8 weeks and I could definitely see why holding off could have been a better option. But as we are now, if we held off on the extension do you think Woosh would be given another 2 years from what we’ve seen to round 20? I’d say yes.

And I know where you stand, but what about others who thought we should have held off the extension till season’s end. Have they seen enough to warrant an extension?

1 Like

Dare I mention the S-word, but following this club/footy for the previous 4 years has suuuuuuucked. This year, it was fun and enjoyable again. That alone is good enough for me.

Yeah we’ve underachieved, but jeez we looked good doing it.

3 Likes

Interesting question… would be keen to hear answers!

a think there was a list of 12 or more that have been told that they are gone, not sure if any of them were from us

Yeah, that was my point. Many on here continue to call for coaches to be replaced, yet the date has passed for them to have been told. So either it’s being kept a secret or they are staying which is the more likely.

I used to be of that mindset. But we’ve looked good underachieving since Knights took over. I’m getting bored of being almost good enough. It just feels like that’s who we are now. “Go out and have a red hot crack and go for a run and have fun. If you win then shakas for everyone and if you lose then no biggie. She’ll be right mate.”

I’m just hoping the personalities of Smith and Stringer infect the rest of the group. They’re so not Essendon it’s not funny. And that’s what we need.

2 Likes

If tradition continues, we’ll have ruined Smith and Saad in 2 seasons time.

6 Likes

Can’t think of anything that’d affect the group’s mindset over that period. Anyone got any ideas?

I’m actually glad the group (as a whole) has started playing fun, exuberant footy. They had to live through 5 years of absolute ■■■■ in ways that we probably can’t imagine.

1 Like

You actually don’t take that marketing stuff with a grain of salt?

They’ve actually looked better since arriving at EFC.
Stringer has a way to go but he’s on the up since getting the sars from Bevo.

1 Like

I reckon being kept secret is just as likely. How many coaches have we heard about being moved on so far? The St Kilda ones and Ratten?
There would have to be plenty more moving on so plenty of clubs are keeping secrets well so far.

I don’t think he should have got an extension, and I wouldn’t be renewing it now, based on this years’ performance.
He presided over the debacle at the start of the year.

He has demonstrated over and over again that he is not a good match day coach.
He doesn’t have a great track record - one flag won by one point with one of the best midfields ever, and a team playing on drugs to “make them feel bullet proof”.

Since then, he has won more spoons than flags.

3 Likes

We will know by round 5 next yr.
Play the kind of footy we have generally played the last 10 weeks,we are going somewhere.

Slip into Essington,well…

We kinda win either way.

We either get a great team or we get to off bigly.