The fixture is in - 2022

Apparently, all opening round games are in their home states or at least the 10 Vic teams. So guess that makes us travel to Sydney for R2 with Buddy.

1 Like

The Age reporting Cats v Don’s round 1

1 Like

G or down there?

Doesn’t mention a ground

The AFL will open the season with a grand final rematch between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs on Wednesday night as the league locks in round one ahead of the expected fixture release next week.

Industry sources said Geelong will play Essendon in a Saturday afternoon blockbuster between the two finalists from last season while Carlton are certain to meet Richmond in the traditional Thursday night clash between the two power clubs.

A Christian Petracca-inspired Melbourne stormed to premiership victory over the Bulldogs.

A Christian Petracca-inspired Melbourne stormed to premiership victory over the Bulldogs. CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

Collingwood will play St Kilda and Hawthorn will play North Melbourne with the AFL able to reward football-starved fans by having all 10 Victorian teams play each other in round one giving Victorian fans the chance to see their teams live.

A club source said it was likely that either Melbourne or the Western Bulldogs would play Carlton or Richmond on the following Thursday night to open round two.

Advertisement

The battle of the bridge between Sydney and the Giants will also open the season with Lance Franklin just five goals from reaching the 1000 goal milestone which would give the Swans the opportunity to play two home games at the SCG to start the season.

RELATED ARTICLE

Jordan De Goey pictured outside of a New York court.

Collingwood

De Goey hopes to meet with new coach McRae as court hearing looms

Sources at the northern-based clubs, the Brisbane Lions and the Gold Coast, said they expected to be playing teams from South Australia or Western Australia, with a league source confirming that would be the case.

The most recent grand final rematch to open a season was in 2009 when Hawthorn played Geelong at the MCG in the opening round after beating the Cats in the grand final. Geelong won that match to start a streak of 11 consecutive wins over the Hawks in what became known as Kennett’s Curse. The run ended in the 2013 qualifying final after Jeff Kennett had finished his first stint as Hawks’ president.

Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT

CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL

The AFL is expected to release the first nine rounds of the 2022 fixture next week with the timeslots for the remaining match-ups after round nine to be decided closer to the games to ensure blockbusters are in the best time slots and to also give the league flexibility if COVID-19 impacts on the season.

AFL ROUND ONE MATCH-UPS

• Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
  • Geelong v Essendon
  • Richmond v Carlton
  • Collingwood v St Kilda
  • Hawthorn v North Melbourne
  • Sydney Swans v GWS Giants

MCG apparently.

2 Likes

So they’re not even going to say who is playing who until a couple of weeks before? Hate that.

Bring on Geelong. Will beat them.

2 Likes

CAN WE WIN!?

YES WE CAN .

2 Likes

They are so nursing buddy to 1000.

Please let it not be “Syd v Ess” round 2.

Mind you I’m done with us consistently losing by a kick at the scg. Maybe we would roll them.

What a great test for us round 1

Bring on the cats

If there’s a club I want to spend years drubbing into the dirt, it’s Geelong.

They are done and I want to smash them when we play them.

I’m very confident we’ll go past them this year.

6 Likes

It’s a Geelong home game which will spare us a trip to Kardinia Park next year.

I’m not convinced yet of the Cats predicted downfall next season. It’s been widely tipped for years yet they always find a way. Considering our recent track record against them it’s going to be a big test.

4 Likes

Well there you go. Cats first up round 1 confirmed. Bring it on

Saturday afternoon, MCG, 60-70k?

What’s not to like.

Can’t wait

3 Likes

Sunday’s games are absolutely putrid watching

3 Likes

How does Hawthorn vs North get a better timeslot than Adelaide vs Freo?

1 Like

Country game round 1?

1 Like

MCG, SAT ARVO 2:10PM

6 Likes

Great move by the AFL (can’t believe I am saying that!) to get rid of Carltank vs tigers as the opening game of the season.

I am all for tradition but that has become an embarrassment.

3 Likes