The future of Zaka

We have a distinct lack of outside mids on our list let alone ones with pace and good disposal and non of the developing players that look likely really fit this role. It’s one of the reasons Colyer who has been relatively poor this year continues to get a game. He has also been one of the biggest contributers to our good football in the last two months. So yes, I believe we would absolutley miss him and a late second rate pick wouldn’t be adequate compensation.

3 Likes

Isnt Ablett going to Geelong for less money and a much higher chance of success? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

You get done for draft tampering if say another club deliberately pays overs for a player A who is a FA, so compensated club gets a better pick?

Then compensated club does something like take player B off the other club in a trade that’s favourable? Maybe involve third club to cover tracks?

You mean did the hawks get done for draft tampering? No.

4 Likes

1 Like

Lol at people who would turn down a million dollar a year salary.

10 Likes

True, although it would depend on what you had to do for it.

Playing footy? Hell yeah.

Reality is you need to be insanely dedicated, gifted and lucky and usually have great parents to get you there.

Think of it as the job you’re already doing but they promoted you to team leader.

1 Like

Think he got robbed of goal of the week.

Money is one signifier of success, and only unsuccessful and poor slobs think otherwise. Not the only one, but having money sure beats having none, and Gazza has earned every cent that has come his way.

3 Likes

[quote=“Bacchusfox, post:90, topic:10983”]Money is one signifier of success, and only unsuccessful and poor slobs think otherwise
[/quote

Do you think that in itself is an arrogant thing to say? Rich or poor people can say / think the exact same thing yet you automatically think a poor person would come to that conclusion.

Not arrogant at all. Perhaps it is a bit naïve of you to reject the link between success and financial reward.

1 Like

200k does not put one on easy Street as some people seem to imagine.

Not disrespecting good hard working class folk like my family etc who at times do it tough but 200k doesn’t make you rich.

1st world problems, but not rich.

6 Likes

Can’t be right.

James Frawley left Dees to Hawks and they got a first rounder.

$$$ & length of contract keys. And I think other aspects like B&F placing etc factored in.

Either way Zaka will stay IMO

There are many forms of success and Money doesn’t come into the equation.

1 Like

Lol

2 Likes

How many players play for a sustained period? Most players will get 1-2 contracts past their initial draft salary so while 200K a year is a wage anyone could live very well on, its hardly setting you up for life if you only earn it for the average football career. .

1 Like

I think if you make 200k a year, that’s a house in a nice suburb, driving a late model European car and travelling/eating well.

With some foresight also an ability to save for your kids education and your own retirement at a reasonable age.

To me that’s ‘rich’.

Particular if you then have a partner who makes a decent living.

2 Likes

If you make 200k over a 30-40 year working life then yes you will do nicely.

AFL careers are something like 4 years on average and highly subject to injury free health.

Non-comparable.

2 Likes

How many footballers go on the well paying jobs? I mean the majority of footballers. Your play 0 to 10 games then delisted types.