The Guitar Thread

We have about 4 of them, 3 of the colourful ones and a slightly higher specced one (that doesn’t hold tuning as well :frowning: )

Here’s a link anyway. Should be able to get a fair bit and have plenty of change

https://www.mannys.com.au/brands/mahalo

1 Like

I see there’s soprano and tenor, but mainly soprano - is that better to get?

So within the last couple of weeks I bought this:

It’s a Sigma 000 acoustic electric with a solid mahogany top. For the price I figured it should hold up well in future, when I can hopefully play much better. I must say, I didn’t realise how much harder acoustic is than electric, you have no where to hide. I can hear how bad my chords really are now :no_mouth:

7 Likes

Congrat! Looks great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m commited to learning how to play Bass Guitar.
Can realistically devote 10 hours per week to practice as a minimum, though could probably stretch that if I limit my football watching and Blitz time :kissing_smiling_eyes:

My son has been playing guitar for about 5 years, and certainly possesses some natural talent.
I’d like to be able to play some simple grooves along with him within a year.

Any suggestions from Bass Guitarists on here on the best place online to get started practicing good techniques and fundamentals ?

I ordered a kit online as I enjoy the sanding/staining/finishing/building process, and I want to become proficient making neck adjustments, stringing, action, setting correct intonation etc…

Will begin sanding, dyeing the maple neck, and shaping the headstock this weekend.

2 Likes

I’ve long wanted a really good acoustic 6 string. In Covid iso, bored and window shopping, I just bought one of these
https://www.esptakamine.com/products/15884-tsf48c

I probably shouldn’t have spent that much money (on special a bit under 3k), and it is generally my policy to try before buying when it comes to guitars, amps etc. But, I just love the look of this, and I can’t find many negative words about it, so I’ve taken the gamble. I have an old and slightly beat up EN-40C (picture previously), which is similar in design and materials, so I think I know what I’m getting (love the EN40). The new one will obviously take some time to mature.

I’m interested to know if others here have (a) bought guitars online unseen, and (b) owned a Takamine (esp. mid-range and up). If so, what are your experiences?

1 Like

I bought a brand new dreadnaught (low end)during lockdown and the action was very high and had to get it lowered.
I bought a used electric (high end) and it was a dream from the get go.

So being a new one you might get a high action however being a pretty high end guitar they should be sending it out ready to go.

1 Like

I bought a $200 tele copy during lockdown last year. I like it quite a bit, but it was just replacing my 25yo 200 strat copy that was always as dodgy as. My “good guitar” is an acoustic (low end Martin), and I don’t play any of them as much as I should, so I’m not sure I can provide you with anything meaningful!

I’ve bought many electric guitars online sight-unseen, but I wouldn’t buy an acoustic without trying it first.

That’s always been my policy, until last week. I suppose I’m a little nervous now until it arrives

Haha - too late now, mah man!
Now you’ve just got to love it :slight_smile:

For me, there’s a certain intimacy and personal relationship with an acoustic guitar - I’d have to fall in love with it before taking it home.

So I’m relieved to be very happy with it. It doesn’t have the depth of tone that the old EN40 has, but I expect that will come with time.

2 Likes

Also got some wall hangers

2 Likes
3 Likes

That test seems to confirm what I’d heard many years ago about electric guitars. Thanks for posting.

Hmmm. A used Paloma has come up at a decent price - tempted to check it out.
Thing is, I kinda liked the P90 of the Starplayer TV that I borrowed - the HB & P90 were a nice foil to my tele.

@Bomber93 How do you find it sound-wise? Strat + HB?

2 Likes

Yea like a strat with a Humbucker but does have its own unique sound, very comfy to play and a versatile guitar that’s for sure.

It’s a lovely guitar imo

1 Like

So, it’s a bit of a laugh, but have to start somewhere. This is my kids Epiphone Les Paul Special II. They never use it and I figured it’s time I give it a go.

So, the $64,000,000 question is…what’s a good way to learn? I was thinking of just doing a few YouTube vids to get some tunes going (to get me hooked) then get some lessons in about 6 months or so.

4 Likes

I use JustinGuitar, Ultimate Guitar, and sometimes just look stuff up on youtube to fill in gaps. As I bought a strat starter kit, I also used the free fender lessons.
JustinGuitar is a fairly well structured site, and free. He does have some content you need to pay for I believe, but I haven’t really looked into it. UG is for sheet music/tabs. I paid about $30 (on sale) for a year’s subscription and I couldn’t speak highly enough of it. I honestly think I might’ve chucked it in (again) without it.
If you find you are enjoying it, I would recommend buying an acoustic at some point. It’s harder than electric, but it’ll make your fingers become much more dextrous. Even with my small hands, the strat feels “small” for me now.
Very nice guitar too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Andy Guitar on YouTube is decent. You can go right from beginner with plenty of free vids, and he gives you stripped down versions of popular songs to give you added motivation that you can do it until you progress a bit more.

1 Like