The Guitar Thread

If you want to learn specific songs, Songsterr is worth a look.

1 Like

Anyone have any experience with a Positive Grid Spark 40w?

2 Likes

Im not really an acoustic guy, but for a while Ive really had a desire for a nice sunburst acoustic with a cutaway and naybe some block inlays. The closest I could find to fit the description was the Gibson Songwriter. …

But, due to it being a Gibson, its way outta my price range. Add it to the list of “Lotto Purchases” I have in my mind.

However…

This beautiful thing came up in my reverb feed. $650 plus $50 delivered…yeah, I could scrounge that together…

The Fender Kingman. It even has the added bonus of a Strat headstock, which may not ve everyones cup of Bonox, but it sure as hell is mine.

Plays as good as it looks. Very happy.

6 Likes

I have one.
I’m usually playing pretty quiet or through headphones so can’t give you any feedback on the sound. When I have cranked it I don’t have any issues but have never played with a better amp.
I really enjoy the app it comes with, you can find any vid on YouTube and it will provide you the basic chords(eg. Will just say C if it’s a C6,C7 etc). Also very cool presets to play round with if you don’t have pedals. Also can be used as a Bluetooth speaker.

2 Likes

Thanks, mate. I bought one used a few days ago, and initial playing around with it has been fun :slight_smile:
I have a number of amps but valves have blown and the price of them these days…

See a lot of the spark stuff going second hand with generic comments like “doesn’t suit what I’m after”. My take is that it’s just not up to the likes of fractal.

Just a fun little practice amp to play around with, I think.

1 Like

I wonder what a Fender Batcaster would be worth these days.

4 Likes

That cardboard/foam Marshall head with offset dials and matching 4x8 cabs has to be worth…………something.

2 Likes

Have been wanting get an acoustic that plays like an electric (faster, lower action than your typical cutaway electric acoustic), what’s everyone’s advice.

Have looked at the Fender Acoustasonics (but not played one yet). Ditto the Ovation slimline type series. Ibanez have a few but they do not sound good unplugged.

It’s really for me playing regularly at home. Will play it unplugged somedays and will want to plug it in others.

Look forward to what experiences others have had that would be relevant.

I got a Little Martin LX1E and I love it!

Prior to that, I had a big dreadnought acoustic guitar and an electric. The acoustic feels a bit too massive and the electric is a bit too much when you don’t wanna wake everyone up… so I was looking for another guitar.

The Little Martin is really small and comfortable to play, the sound volume is quite good for an acoustic (and you can plug it whenever you wanna play with mates).

2 Likes

I second what @Bush said.

Mini Martins are fun to play.

It’s the guitar Ed Sheeran plays. Have good sounding pickups in them too.

My guitar teacher back in the day had a black Maton thin bodied electric acoustic.

Sounds like what you are talking about, played more like an electric, but couldn’t find anything similar when doing a quick google.

I’ve had a mini Maton since 2006 and am mainly an electric player. Or other option get a Fishman power bridge for your electric

Any 000/parlour sized acoustic and put 9 or 10 string gauge?

2 Likes

I actually ended up getting another budget guitar - the Ibanez Talman TCY12E. Photo below:

Had it for a week. Quick review:
Pro’s:

• great looking guitar (at least in my opinion)
  • quality is very, very good for a $369 electric acoustic
  • very low, fast (for an acoustic) action
  • tuners are very good; strings hold tune very well, even with repeated use of a capo
  • very easy just to pick up and play being so slim and light
  • finish seems flawless

Cons:

• being a slimline body shape the unplugged sound is not great; you have to accept that at this price point - but still sounds way better unplugged than Fender Acoustasonic. It’s a very thin sound. When it’s plugged in my small, cheap Fender amp it sounds way better; just turn the bass right up on the preamp it comes with.
  • didn’t even come with a guitar strap. I know it’s a budget guitar, but seriously no guitar strap.

Overall:

• whilst the unplugged sound grates, I actually really love it. Quick and easy simply to plug in to an amp if it really bothers me.
  • Will suit beginners, electric guitarists who, occasionally, want an acoustic sound instead, both intermediate & advanced players looking for a quicker action on an acoustic.
  • Highly recommended.
  • Finally, I am using the strings it came with. As they tire, I am going to replace them with Elixir strings which transformed the sound on my previous, budget electric-acoustic.
5 Likes

Signed up to guitar making school, started today on my new tele. Decided to do it mostly for fun, but also for the knowledge and skills, and to spare my old vintage tele from a costly refret. So I’m wondering what pups to put in it. The default ones in the parts box are Tonerider Vintage Plus, which from what I can see in reviews are just fine. But I’d like to try a humbucker in the bridge, maybe even the neck as well (I use the neck more than the bridge on the old one). One option is SD Hot Rails, single coil size and switchable. Anyone used either of these in a tele or anything else? Or any other single size splitable humbuckers?

5 Likes

And here’s progress picks day 1

4 Likes

8 Likes

I did replace the strings it came with, what I consider to be the best guitar strings out there - Elixir 11/52s.

Unplugged sound improves 100%. Still very enjoyable to play being so easy and light to just pick up when you have a spare, few minutes.

2 Likes

Let us know how the course goes.
Always been interested in something like that.

Absolutely not a carpenter or woodworker, but can follow instructions.

Have assembled guitars before, and can do most maintenance (haven’t changed fret wire before or wound my own pickups, for example).

Also have a tele sized hole in my guitar collection.

1 Like