The Guitar Thread

Anyone got a recommendation on a guitar pedal or some kind of extra thing to buy someone who is just starting out, and wanting to keep it interesting?

I know what you’re probably thinking…that it’s overkill…get some lessons…but i just thought it’d be fun to have something with and it’s hard to buy gifts for teenagers.

(And yes I want to have a play with it too)

Theres plenty of cheapo multiple fx peds these days. Berringer is a good beginner brand of pedal.

2 Likes

My usual moto when starting out something is ‘all the gear and no idea’. So if I start a band, this will have to be my name, possible the quality of product too.

2 Likes

I recommend getting a looper pedal.

It’s lots of fun to make tracks to jam over, but is also a very useful practice tool.

The TC Electronics Ditto is the most popular for around $150. It’s very simple to use. It’s possible to get some at half that price. Others have built in drums tracks and all sorts of other functions, and they can range in price from around $60 to well over $1k.

3 Likes

I don’t if we should approve of the all American Batman using British amps!

1 Like

Sure, will try to post a weekly update. The classes take up to 5 students (usually 4) to one instructor. Mine yesterday had only 3 students so I hope it stays that way. The 4 hour class seemed to pass so quickly and I didn’t want to go home. It’s a small workshop, but it was great just looking at all the guitars in various stages of construction and repair and the ones that were finished too. I feel like I should have done it years ago now, but I’d always convinced myself that it would be too hard, or I didn’t have the time or money. Then a couple of months back I happened to walk past a little school workshop in Newcastle when I was on a work trip. I ducked in for a 5 minute chat with the owner and that was it - I had to do it. That school doesn’t have services in Melbourne or Brisbane (where I live), but I happily found another one that does.

4 Likes

I restrung my acoustic for the first time a couple of months ago. I bought three sets because I knew I would stuff up at least one. I was “successful” on the second attempt, but it took me a couple of hours…
I just decided to put the same strings on; D’Addario .12, which are apparently light, however I’ve been learning fingerstyle, and finding them a bit tough. They do have a nice deep sound for strumming though, so I might just soldier on.

I am an absolute hack, but all of you in here who can play guitar very well are so lucky. Music is a really a gift to this world.

4 Likes

Well, I’m perhaps only an average player, but it ain’t luck. Work at it and keep doing it and you will get results.
As you would know, your fingers should toughen up with regular playing. If you’re still struggling after a few months of that you could go down to .11s just to try them out. You will lose some projection and tone, but greater ease of playing might compensate for that. Other factors apart from the string gauge can play a part too; how well suited the neck is for your hands, plus the set-up/action…

1 Like

I do feel that my fingers are slowly becoming stronger, but I recently played a steel string acoustic which I found much easier to play. I’ll look into what you mentioned though, thanks CB :slight_smile:

Only thing I find with elixirs is the mids go missing

Haven’t really noticed that happennng that much - if it does it’s small price to pay for strings that last me 1 year+ playing 7-10 hours a week at home; and they still sound good.

Anyone got another guitar to trade for a 2012 Fender USA standard. In rarer charcoal Frost with rosewood neck

I literally pulled the plastic off this guitar three weeks ago. Just have custom shops I like better. I’m in Bendigo but can meet any

1 Like

Tube screamer. It’ll remain useful for just about any iteration of a pedal board you can think of.

2 Likes

I found that nylons can hurt your fingers more than steel strings. Ouch.

And good on you for learning finger style, for me I reckon that gives you more options plus you can invent any pattern you want, and you can create some gorgeous tones just playing around with chord shapes even if you’re just a lounge room Hendrix/Knopfler/Clapton hack like me.

1 Like

I mean I have plenty of guitars that I would trade for that, but none that you would trade for that :):slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bought my son one of these, he loves it. Good value and has a lot of options to craft the sound in real time as well as loops and drum machine:

2 Likes

For multi FX. Try and find a used to nova system, line 6 M13 or if new line 6 hx FX

Unless you want to go for separate pedals.

2 Likes

You never know mate. I’ve actually been asked to play in a well known 80’s tribute so I’m actually after something for that hard rock era stuff. Ibanez , charvel . What do you have you would trade

This thing looks like it does a lot, and not expensive. Is it just plug and play, between the guitar and the amp?

Hahaha. Nah, I only have cheap knockoff strata that are 30 years old and in poor condition, and a covid purchased chinese tele look alike. Nothing worth more than $150. (And that guitar deserves a good home where it will be played every day, which these days isn’t me)