The "I was wrong" Files

Hennemen is my least and most favourite Essington player of all time.

1 Like

Tarnished forever by that flog bomberjez’s adulation.

I was completely and utterly wrong about Skipworth as forward coach. Wanted him sacked for about 3 years straight. Has proven me not just wrong, but very very wrong.

Our forward line is working as well as it has since the early 200’s.

7 Likes

You’ve earned back a ton of respect in my book.

3 Likes

Yes,… likewise. There’s a few others that could take a leaf, and earn some back too,. …

I was wrong about Gabe. Thought he would stay true to himself after his arranged marriage. Boy, was I wrong.

http://im - gur.com/DgSN5Wm

I thought he would get up again, made a login called Gumbawumba (as in, Chumbawamba)and a gif of a Gumby Train hauling a broken down bomber. Got a few likes.

That’s a #3 on the side of the train.

10 Likes

Nothing’s wrong when it comes to love. It’s 2017 god damn it.

Early 200’s?
You could be older than Noonan!

2 Likes

Paul Barnard. I was at a Hawthorn vs Kangaroos game and Dunstall was out injured. Barnard lined up there and he was the worst player I had ever seen. Was ■■■■■■ when we drafted him but he turned out to be very good.

Courtney Johns.

1 Like

The OP asked “Which players did you write off and ended up with egg on your face.”

Most people have answered the opposite. (Who they thought would be good but weren’t).

I have held off till now, mainly because I don’t write off players early on - I always hope for the best for their sake and our sake. Of those I have finally lost hope in, none have turned it around to make me reassess my opinion.

OTOH, like many here, there are a great many players that I hoped would make it but for one reason or another, didn’t. That should be the topic for another thread.

But we should all remember that any of these blokes who “didn’t make it” at least got to play for the greatest club in the world, which any of us would give a hell of lot to do.

3 Likes

Yep, I rated Haynes as well.

1 Like

Not to be confused with Barry Grinter, our 1970’s, slow as a wet week, ex copper, Dudley Do-Right looking & never-quite-sure-what-sort-of-kick-you-were-getting FB?

Number 4 vs Number 18.

Grinter arrested Steven Parsons during the Windy Hill brawl, didn’t he? He was a gentleman of the constabulary. I like both of them, but just a tad slow, the both.

Bronco sported the great chops, almost better than pazza’s chops back in the day.

More than any other player in the last 50 years, Grinter infuriated my Dad.

■■■■■■ Grinter again!

There were some pretty average conveyances around in those dark, dismal years.

I wouldn’t even have had Grinter in the bottom quartile.

1 Like

You reckon you would have a fairly reliable kick as a FB wouldn’t you? When Grinter kicked out after a point, he would often go the drop kick & grub it. Often cheeky little opposition rovers would stand 30-40m out from goal not manning up, on the off chance Grinter would miskick, the ball would grub straight to them, they would pick the ball up & casually kick it straight back over Grinter’s head.
When they talk about the demise of the drop kick & why it was banned by coaches, they should make a special mention of Barry.

3 Likes

Jerker Jenkin for me…particularly that day when Jezza was standing the mark, and the botched drop-kick hit him fair in the baby-makers.

It was just too low percentage a kick, beautiful when it came off, horrible when it didn’t, and you were restricted to only trying it on dry tracks, so there’s about 12 rounds of the season gone. We see the great exponents like Barrot, Tully, Price, Davis in the finals on the MCG but not at Brunswick Street or Western Oval in the mud. Shitful drainage in those days.

The Merretts’ great-uncle Thorold was a great exponent of the stab-kick which was just a shortened, faster version of the drop-kick.

I do remember another Number 4’s drop kicks as massive, in Lindsay McGie whose career was shortened by him being sent to Vietnam, along with another 4 Essendon players. Only two others, John Scarlett and Wayne Closter, both from Geelong, actually went to Vietnam after bering conscripted.

2 Likes

I have said it before, but it bears repeating: many years after he went to Viet Nam, they showed on World of Sport one of Lindsay McGie’s kick outs from full back - the ball went well beyond the centre of the MCG. The “experts” on WoS could not believe it, and they claimed it was fake footage, and was of two separate kicks spliced together. But I recall his kicking at the time: he was a superb long kick.

I did not know that EFC bore the brunt of the Viet Nam draft - thanks for that observation, AN.

1 Like