The "I was wrong" Files

I know Greg Perry, Ian Payne, Keith Gent (who was wounded in action) and Lindsay McGie went. I think there was one, or even two, others. Possibly Wayne Headlam.

I’ll have to look through the lists from about 1965-72 to try and remind myself.

What are you insinuating? @G-Unit

Found a web page…I left out Ian Anderson, a red-headed ruckman wearing #25. He kicked 7 in Round 1, 1968 and I recall him at the first bounce in the last quarter - he tapped to Bobby Greenwood (one I expected a lot more from, but he was a bit of a larrikin and did his knee too) who drop-kicked well through the goals next to the Showers Pavilion.

I also left out Bill Thompson, #12, a half-back who was a bit slow and had a pretty good career with Dandenong in the VFA.

VFL players in Vietnam

Our 1966 Under 19 team thrashed Collingwood in the Grand Final despite atrocious kicking. From memory (and I don’t think this is quite right) we won 7-25 to 2-8.

We had guys like full-back Ken Fletcher, ruckman Wayne Headlam, rover Bobby Greenwood, wingman Wally Buhaj, full-forward Ross Sporton. Geoff Blethyn had played during the season but didn’t play in the finals. He was only 15.

I thought the star of the team was Greenwood. Made his debut the next year and was quite impressive but he had the reputation of being a lad who liked quaffing an enjoyable ale or six.

Did his knee 3 or 4 years in and ended his career at Claremont.

I remember one day down at Kardinia Park. It was soaking, bucketing wet and he came on as a reserve (no interchange at that time) at half-time and was credited with 21 kicks and 12 handpasses. There were no official stats and the other stats man gave him 27 disposals.

1 Like

Thought Bradley Plain was going to be a star.
Even longer ago than that, I thought journalists just reported the news, truthfully!!

I was wrong in early 2016. I said Conor had “plateaued”
Turns out, he just spent some time in the foothills , and now he has passed the base camp on the way to the summit.

I was wrong about being wrong about Carlisle being a forward. That doggies game though…

I was wrong about Hurley forward, too.

Plus I sold my shares to the ‘Conor’ bandwagon the week before it went public.

1 Like

Aaaaaand we salute you.

3 Likes

Lalich would have been more value than Barnes in the 01 GF. At least he could still jump.

I thought Kyle Reimers was going to kill it… He even injected himself with Hamster Ovarie juice according to Russel crowe… But his spinal injury phobia was too much for the club to take.

It pains me to say it but I had major concerns over Jobe. I thought he was too slow and his kicking was horrible. Remember those dinky little passes that went straight to the opposition? I certainly didn’t write him off but early doors I didn’t hold out much hope. I did write off David Myers, he was supposed to be this smooth moving quarter back type that would lead our half back attacks for 10 years. I was horrified as all I could see was this slow, cumbersome bloke who was terrible overhead with an enormous turning circle.

On the flip side I thought Sam Lonergan was going to be a contested ball beast and at one point I told a mate that Kyle Remeirs was the most talented guy on our list.

Hurley would have been an absolute gun forward, if his wrists weren’t completely shattered, and he could take a mark in front of his eyes.

In this day and age you simply can’t play forward if you can’t take that mark out in front of your face with arms out straight. Then for good measure cop a chop of the arms every time. If Hurls did play forward it would serverely shorten his career.

I was wrong on Hooker. Whenever it was that we wanted Caddy and offered Hooker and our first pick I thought “If Gold Coast go for this they’re crazy!”

Definitely worked out for us there.

I thought Essendon could make the finals this year

1 Like

I thought the returning players would be hungry for success and stop at nothing to achieve it.

5 Likes

I thought we were a chance of eradicating Essington.

1 Like

I thought Quinn would play more AFL games than Myers.

I was wrong about being wrong about us being rubbish.

1 Like

Took me a while to find this thread again

I was completely wrong about McKenna. Early in the season I called him a pretend footballer. He has proved the complete opposite. The guy is legit

Well done Connor

4 Likes

CONOR

1 N.