The sooking about “woke” thread

a man who shockingly manged to leverage the lyrics “Bawitdaba, da bang, da dang diggy diggy
Diggy, said the boogie, said up jump the boogie” into a 25 year music career

4 Likes

Don’t know, and legit don’t care. These people exist in their millions, though. And they probably used to buy a million tons of Bud Light (and watch nascar, vote republican, and own 172516 guns each).

The sooner murica has Civil war 2, the better.

Companies can’t have it both ways. Big brands like Budweiser aren’t just selling beer they are selling you a lifestyle. Like VB has always been marketed to the working class. People often buy stuff because it gives them some kind of status being associated with that brand. Budweiser and Adidas can’t suddenly associate with trans people and then say the brand messaging shouldn’t matter, it’s everything.

2 Likes

What I don’t think a lot of people realise though is at the end of the day companies are just trying to market their products to Millennials and Gen -Z because they have the most disposable income.

Despite what a of of people might think a large chunk of those generations are a lot more liberal in their world view than cranky boomers and gen xers are so coming out and being pro LGBT is good for business. I read somewhere that 1 in 5 people in that generation identify as part of that community (cool your jets conservs :joy:) and that 4 in 5 support the LGBT rights. So what else are these companies meant to do?

3 Likes

hang on, buying VB gives you status?

2 Likes

And they’re also drinking a lot less than generations before them, so beer companies really feel the need to win them over.

1 Like

exactly, 20% less than the generations before them.

Just for those playing along at home, this isn’t because they are more straight edge… LOL

1 Like

That’s because they’re all on the nose candy.

1 Like

yep, because its cheaper, and lasts all night

It’s not just beer companies though, I work for an Audio brand and almost our entire marketing budget goes into things directed straight at those generations. Point is, your Buds of the world weren’t doing anything different to tonnes of other companies, it just ended up ■■■■■■■ off people more because it was non-craft beer, which appeals more to your Kid rock loving types.

1 Like

It’s up 6%. Congrats one fifth of the drop switched allegiance.

I don’t know the exact rational, but I reckon the trans spokesperson was a deliberate marketing strategy to get attention. Probably didn’t land exactly how they hoped, but the brand awareness has gone through the roof.

Kinda like Scotty from marketing driving the “where the bloody hell are you” campaign in the UK purely to get angry media coverage.

1 Like

But who was fighting the wars?
Over time the “native” population morphed into something different than it originally was.
And for the original natives ?
I guess that was just a different time … back in the day when, ■■■■ happens.
People conquered other people … deal with it.

exactly right. as much as you’d try and dress it up with social values or whatever, it’s sales execs going “there’s gold in them thar hills”, as is the motivation for literally every decision made by all publicly traded companies

also worth noting that the “plummet” of bud light sales amounted to 1% of anheuser-busch’s global volume for april, which if not recovered by now anyway will probably be done so by july as it is approaching summer in the northern hemisphere

-edit- also the so-called promotional cans were six (6) cans, all sent to the trans woman in question. not on every can available for purchase

1 Like

There is a difference between supporting LGBT rights (human rights) and agreeing with their chosen lifestyle.

I am all for people living their lives the way they want and if I saw someone being abused/attacked, I would intervene regardless of how they identify.

Edit: Unless they are Fark Carlton supporters!

1 Like

This is so obvious that it makes the cries of a “woke agenda” particularly baffling. As cringeworthy as one may find a black Cleopatra or whatever, these are just capitalists realising there’s another market to sell to.

They will not make any decision which negatively affects the bottom line.

2 Likes

Exactly.

It also goes back to this binary conclusion epidemic that’s happening the world right now, the “if you support that lifestyle then you must not support mine” extrapolation

You know what, they just want to sell their product to as many people as possible.

If someone is supporting queer and trans people doesn’t mean that they don’t like straight people.

Maybe this needs to made clear?

2 Likes

There’s echos of this exact phenomena throughout history. When times get tough, conspiracies emerge and minorities get blamed. Antisemitism was particularly high during the various great plagues, LGBTQ people were a target of fascists in the 20s and 30s for two examples.

And this here is why woke is a thing. How insulting to call it a chosen lifestyle. Is your marriage/relationship a chosen lifestyle or is it a fundamental part of your life and identity. There’s no need to think less of people just because they are LGBT.

7 Likes

It clearly is a thing, otherwise there would be no such thing as LGBT.