Pepe Le Pew was always a bit creepy

3 Likes

Ewok being an anagram of Woke :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

:100:

Went the way of social justice warrior.

Did you think it was terribly woke to give people with a darker shade of skin equal rights, or do you believe exterminating the Thylacine was perhaps not a great idea?
Nothing wrong with social evolution.
You can spin these kind of things anyway you choose.
Wtf am I doing talking politics…

5 Likes

I can agree with some of those, but most I’m not aware of as I live under a rock.

The majority of “woke” claims I see, however, are usually just people being outraged at positive messaging towards minority groups (e.g. rainbows, pro LGBT, non-white representation in media, etc.)

1 Like

If you’re going to accuse ‘the woke’ of being upset about everything, I think you have to make a case for legitimately being upset by the stylings of Andy friggin’ Maher first.
Who really has the thin skin in this scenario?

2 Likes

Society is a pendulum that swings one way and then the other. We overcompensate, go too far, get resistance, swing back too far the other way, then swing again to something sensible.

“Woke” is bringing attention to very real problems in society. Sometimes the woke actions lack subtlety or are badly communicated. “Anti-woke” is the response from people who aren’t comfortable with the change or that feel it went too far, too fast.

Anti-woke response has now gone over the top, with some very Nazi Germany book burning vibes in Florida. That’s going to get reversed over the coming decade as the insanity of that overreaction becomes obvious to all.

My view is woke is simply acknowledging the legitimate harm being done to other people by our habitual behaviour and trying to do something about it.

I’m not going to change how I talk about gender pronouns. That just feels like overkill, but I’ll support that population in other ways. I’m more than happy for Apu from the Simpsons to be retired as it directly hurts people, in the same way the world retired black face.

Some of the actions being taken at that social edge aren’t sustainable, but the driver is to simply stop hurting others. I’ve never really understood the justification from the anti-woke crowd beyond “I don’t give a ■■■■ if I make your life worse by my behaviour, ■■■■ off and leave me alone”. If there’s a more nuanced explanation of why we shouldn’t look to tweak our ways to prevent harming people, let me know.

16 Likes

A member of LMW’s squad is a trans man.
He is the blokiest bloke that ever bloked, and his facial hair is, dare I say it, almost as legendary as mine.

Calling him her isn’t being woke or anti-woke, it’s just being a complete ■■■■■■■■.

7 Likes

If I meet someone on that journey, I’ll ask what they prefer and roll with that.

But people introducing themselves by including their pronouns just feels more about trying to show off how good they are.

7 Likes

100% agree with social evolution and that everyone deserves equal rights. The catastrophes of the past should never reoccur.

On the other hand, not everything that has been put in place has to be changed. Crime is at an all time high and respect for authority is at an all time low. Kids are getting away with ■■■■ that I would rightfully have been put in my place for. What has happened to family values?

1 Like

I get that.
I don’t 100% agree, but I get it.

Edit: also, you wouldn’t ask because there’s no way you’d know unless you were told.
And he doesn’t start every conversation with, ‘Hi, there! I’m trans!’

1 Like

I don’t really understand what the ending of Ace Ventura and Apu has to do with family values?

1 Like

I don’t really get what your question is?

I’m not following all the separate parts of your argument against wokeness? I may have missed something, and maybe you weren’t intending for them to part of the same thing, but talking about the over correction and cancelling of certain pop culture characters and then talking about crime rates rising and family values?

1 Like

I was sooking when I woke up this morning

These are all symptoms of wokeness and not necessarily linked.

Humans are the dumbest creatures in the universe

5 Likes

That is interesting. And I think there is a criticism there of the anti woke, that everything happening in society that some don’t agree with can be contributed to ‘wokeness’. But maybe you could flesh that crime thing out abit and explain how it’s connected to ‘wokeness’

1 Like

What? Any stats to back that up, as I think you will find the complete opposite.

Otherwise your coming off a bit old man yells at clouds.

5 Likes