The sooking about “woke” thread

Umm…‘wokeness?’ Kinda appropriate given the thread, yeah?

Speaking of being offended easily:

Aside from the exceptions to the rule, under specific circumstances, where affect can be a noun, and effect can be a verb, but just ignore those for now.

4 Likes

It’s a verbal crutch.

Yeah it’s a weird one

Odd way to describe the term. Maybe you’re in the wrong thread.

probably around the time it stopped being about that, and started being used as a propaganda tool by people who proclaimed themselves “progressive thinkers” and “having a social conscience”.

cos progressive thinkers now a days think you’re being offensive if you dare to say woman don’t have ■■■■■’s and males can’t have babies.

of where you have say an australian cricket captain who on the one hand wants to crap on about climate change and exuding his “social conscience” while he drives around in a gas guzzling car, talking on his child and slave labour produced products, wearing similar clothing.

at least when you called people woke in the 60’s and 70’s they hippie enough to live by their principles .

now you get a whole bunch of whack jobs who try and enforce their ways on you, and when you don’t fall in line, they play the i’m offended, you a insert one of racist, homophobe, bigot etc

in short, it became an insult right about the time it became clear hypocrites and self righteous people were hiding behind the word.

3 Likes

I have a cousin who lives down the Mornington Peninsula. He doesn’t like wokeness. He thinks Ukraine is full of Nazis and that Tucker Carlson is a good bloke. He was/is anti-mask and took his kids to marches in Melbourne. He also thinks Trump is ok and keeps going on about Hunter Biden’s laptop. He likes ■■■■ stirers like Shapiro and Peterson. Doesn’t like how multicultural movies and tv shows are getting, or how there’s always a gay or trans person in every show. He refutes any notion of our white privilege. He’s got a huge southern cross tattoo on his back. (Ok I feel like I’m setting up a game of republican bingo)

When I ask him why he cares about wokism and how it affects him, he says schools these days are discriminating against ordinary white boys like his /our kids. He says schools won’t let anyone be school captain unless they have some combo of blue hair, are gay, have nose rings or are black/Asian/Indian etc., but any normal white kid will be expelled for having his shirt untucked. It’s like he genuinely fears he’s losing his privileges as a majority without a hint of self awareness.

At least he barracks for Essendon, so we have something to talk about.

3 Likes

It’s pretty normal. It only creates a stir when a white person talks about. But, you look at Japan and how they are incredibly ethnically homogenous and nobody judges them.

Not true, some do judge them. Nevertheless, they are changing and mixing it up as they need the workers.

some light reading for a friday evening lol

i think it’s wonderful that we are lucky to all be currently living in a time where progress has finished and everything will be like it is now forever

8 Likes

I guess it depends if you consider it ‘progressing’.

1 Like

i know right. we should have never moved past feudalism. that sht worked a treat

2 Likes

Uggh.

lol i love hearing sht like this

no one with blue hair, nose rings or non english speaking backgrounds can possibly achieve things oN mErIt

2 Likes

it never started.
we’ve only managed to overpopulate & trash a planet and develop more ingenious ways to kill each other.
that’s not really progress.

1 Like

That’s one thing that’s never changed about humans, we always have, and we always will kill each other.

1 Like

not happening fast enough for mine

well, 80-something at least

1 Like

for starters there’s a common hatred of the “all talk no action” types

The everyday observance of the ‘welcome to country’ land acknowledgement is probably a fair example of wokeness in Australia. It’s tokenistic and doesn’t represent traditional culture.

There’s actually some empirical evidence ‘wokeness’ has its roots in Australia, Canada and Sweden, not US universities as commonly believed:

[2304.01596] The Great Awokening as a Global Phenomenon