The sooking about “woke” thread

Didn’t know if it didn’t represented traditional culture as you claimed, so I googled it and Wikipedia ( I know) says this:

Welcomes to Country are a form of Aboriginal ceremony dating back many thousands of years, used to welcome other peoples from other areas[6] and as a cultural exchange.

I never perceived it as tokenism. We did you get your facts from?

I don’t know much about it, but I like it. It gives us some culture lol

2 Likes

I just did the same as I haven’t lived in Australia for years and wasn’t familiar with its meaning or prevalence in recent times.

I have noticed Welcome to Country often recently, as well as websites, podcasts etc making a note to “acknowledge the (insert) people as the original owners of this land” type stuff. Is this something people see a need to do, or is it more something the indigenous communities want to see more of?

Again, coming from the position of someone removed from modern Aussie culture. Except through Blitz :smile:

A quick Goog indicates the practice is a new one, with some inspiration from local land welcoming ceremonies.

It’s certainly hard to imagine tribes separated by thousands of kilometres and years could share a concept of country, but that’s a guess.

Welcome to country is based on an old indigenous custom.

Acknowledgment of country is a fairly recent modern concept.

1 Like

‘ when you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression’

Someone better with words than me.

1 Like

I’m fairness, the book burning horse shyte has affected both sides of the left-right spectrum. I mean, it’s common place these days for people to publicly burn harry potter books due to JK Rowling’s defence of feminism which conflicts with trans issues.

Are governments doing it? Because it’s one thing to destroy your own possessions. It’s another to ban society from accessing written content.

And I’d argue that whatever fringe left idiots are doing is inconsequential compared to legislated impacts.

2 Likes

No, just individuals as far as I’m aware. Yikes, what exactly is happening in Florida?

Book banning. Schools are only allowed to have books approved by the state. That led to a period where libraries were empty because no books had been approved. Books are banned on the strangest fringe reason by a single parent complaining.

They have banned discussing homosexuality at all from prep until an appropriate age, which as legislated is graduation from high school.

It’s all political crap designed to give Ron DeSantis a platform to run for president.

3 Likes

I see. I thought you meant they were actually burning books. But any form of censorship is a disgrace imo.

My view is that we should just let all ideas be heard and use them, no matter how grotesque, as a way to get people to question ideas and as a tool for education. That way, education is neither left nor right leaning, but just neutral as it should be.

5 Likes

The challenge we are facing with education is when facts conflict with mythology. When reality hurts ego. When balanced information clashes against dogma.

That’s the US. They’ve got some pretty ugly history with slavery and racism that directly impacts their society today. They can own that problem and work through it, or they can bury their head in the sand and lock in the status quo.

Their religious dogma has been clashing with science and education for decades, with the growing fight over teaching of evolution. It’s starting to flow into anything and everything.

Australia has some pretty ugly history. It was largely done by generations long dead, but there’s an ego hit to admit you’re team is in the wrong. We are going through a similar journey, just without the hyper partisan and hyper religious layers.

Edit - and I’m sure someone in America is actually burning books, but I’ll consider small scale nut job actions from either side to be largely irrelevant unless they become a trend.

2 Likes

Can we wait until the bombers are on top of the ladder before we stop the music?

its ok you dont have to masquerade pingas as google.

3 Likes

the anti-wokes don’t even know what they’re arguing

2 Likes

P1ss poor guess.

Welcome to country goes back centuries for indigenous mobs. Custom to welcome visitors to tribal lands is where it started, most indigenous traditions are kept in-house, but the welcome is an honour to receive.

1 Like

Pingas is now racist to pingu penguins.

1 Like

shut your clam

κλείσε τις αχιβάδες σου

penny gnocchi vaffanculo

Gnocchi clams are permanently shut. What you gonna do about it re?