The travel thread - elimination final

About to board my flight now - as luck happened organised a couple of days in Sydney months ago and had to convince the gf for me to extend the trip while she goes back to look after the kids. Coincidentally I decided to buy her $1000 of clothes so we are all good but this is turning into an expensive game of footy.

16 Likes

At the Hirdy auction?

3 Likes

Just a tip for anyone flying into Sydney that the Train from the Airport is a pretty good option especially if you don’t have much luggage and are travelling alone. It is only a 10 minute trip to Central station and there is normally a train every 10/15 minutes. Cost is about $16.

4 Likes

That sounds hectic though. Hope the bus has sufficient leg room!

Going solo so a great idea

I shall wear a brown carnation on my lapel.

3 Likes

It’s a shitfight when it’s a packed crowd. And there is a rugby league game on next door at Allianz. Park as far away as possible.

1 Like

Anyone know if the club is televising the game live at Windy hill or Tullamarine?

Windy Hill I believe.

Anyone take up this offer?

def need PINGAS for that trip

2 Likes

We never lose when we march!

12 Likes

Yeah, definitely on. Check EFC website.

Find another bomber fan and split an Uber.

For the higher brow Essendon fan, I can tell you where to buy the most exquisite steak you will ever eat in Sydney CBD.

It will ruin your ability to eat regular steak ever again. It has mine.

Bookings at this restaurant only accepted at lunchtimes.

It would do well to beat Porteno or Firedoor which are both located in Surry Hills and right up there with anything I’ve ever eaten. Am keen to test it out

Hey fellow Blitzers

A tongue in cheek guide for you die hard Dons coming in from interstate for what’s shaping up as our Bombers biggest game in years that may help you understand why Sydney Swans supporters are such an insipid lot of wankers

How do I know this & what gives me the right to compile such a ■■■■ take …??

Having grown up in Sydney & been a Bombers supporter since my dad’s best mate took me to Windy Hill in the late 70’s I’ve experienced the entire history of the Sydney Swans from arm’s length and probably been to more of their games than most current supporters
Back in the early 80’s when the VFL shifted South to Sydney me & a few mates would get off the train at Central and walk the steep hill up Foveaux St where there’d be volunteers handing out tickets & begging for people on the street to come & watch the Swans play
Crowds those days were lucky to top 2500 but that was OK cos we got a real close up view of the Swannettes. These were two young female cheer squads located in front of the current O’Reilly stand & the Randwick end goals who’d get up & do a dance whenever the Swans kicked a goal. Mostly the girls kept their jackets on to keep warm cos they weren’t required to dance much back then …
Back in those days though you could get a beer & take a leak a lot quicker

My earliest memory of a Bombers win at the SCG was maybe 1983 when you could run on the ground after the siren for kick to kick. I jumped the old Hill picket fence and sprinted towards the centre square which was real muddy. Halfway across I yelled out to my fave player of that era, the late great Merv Neagle.
Merv was kind enough to wait at the centre square for me so he could sign my duffle coat which I thought was pretty cool since most of the team was already at the Members stand fence. You can’t imagine what a thrill this was for a diehard Bombers supporter who only got to see his team play live once a year. I was puffing so hard cos my duffle coat was weighed down with Watson / Daniher & Vanders badges so all I could say to Merv “good game today mate”
He ruffled my hair & replied “never stop following the Bombers son”

Back then the Swans were viewed by the entire NSW public as a joke who should go back to wherever the hell they came from cos this was a rugby league state with no room for “aerial ping pong”
I knew a few footy supporters from school who followed Collingwood & Richmond but we all really appreciated the fact that we got to go watch out teams once a season play the Swans & usually kick a big score, but we copped ■■■■ from rugby league supporters who’d be leaving either Redfern Oval or the Old Showground after Roosters or Souths games

I was there in 96 when Pluggers kick after the siren sailed over my head in the Randwick end
Was there in about 2007 when we won by a point after McPhee went OOB but handpassed off to Spike who goaled & Spider Everitt punched thru a point after the half time siren (kind of like Pops Kelly this year)
It really hurts that our last away win in against Shitney was in 2009 when Licha kicked four & Knights was our coach

Not even gonna mention the last 3mins of Round 14 2017 …. Maybe BJ don’t demand to take the kick outs this Saturday arvo

We’ve really endured a lean period up here and am hoping like hell we will bust our arses to get the win this weekend. I get the feeling that everyone involved with the club is primed to give it a shot and not fazed at all at the prospect of ending the Swans season dead in it’s tracks
It’s been way too long since we’ve been able to give them the “loyal supporters” chant halfway thru the last while they’re streaming for the exits
The media jizzing in NSW has gone on way too long & time for them to move back onto GWS so we can then end their season two weeks later !!

So what do you need to know about a Swans supporter that you may not have already been aware of :

• They have no sense of their own club history (I’m not even referring to South Melbourne) ask them if they’ve heard of Ricky Quade / Tom Hafey or Barry Round. You will get a blank look
• They have no knowledge of teams outside of their little bubble. Most Swans supporter’s I know weren’t even aware Buddy’s first name was Lance before they bought him & think that COLA is something they pay $4 a can for at the ground
• They do know how to yell “ball” but only if they happen to be looking up from their iPhone at the time
• There are two distinct generations of new Swans supporters. Those who jumped on from late 90’s (watch the bloody replay of 96 final you’ll notice virtually no red & white in the crowd as many were first gamers that night) The remainder started to be “loyal supporters” when they won the 2005 flag + that number swelled after 2012
• They are the classic “you only sing when you’re winning crowd”
• All the ones I know weren’t able to text me at the final siren Round 14 cos they were on Moore Park Rd having already given up on their team. One of my mates left at 3/4 time of the 2005 prelim vs Cats cos he thought a 3 goal lead was too much for them to make up in the last quarter. I never let him forget it
• They never get beaten by a better team – its always “Buddy had an off day or the umpires cost us” hopefully that’s be their excuse this weekend
• A few years ago the club issued their members with hats that were embroidered “Loyal Member” maybe to distinguish them from their members who weren’t loyal

As I mentioned in the travel / ticketing threads, we have a small but vocal group of NSW Bombers up here & we’re are friggin well hurting that we haven’t beaten Shitney up here since ‘09
Hopefully meet a bunch of you guys at Woolhara Hotel before the game
I’m looking forward to catching up with Koala & DJR again. The fact that they made the trip up last year when we realistically had no chance says so much about Essendon supporters.
Especially hanging out to have a beer with WOB who sounds as tragic as myself from the other side of the country, should we somehow snag the win its gonna get ugly on Oxford St!!

Hope everyone who was trying to get a ticket had some success, I used my members code to get mine & several close friends
When I told Mrs harvsfan how stoked I was to get a ticket she went fricken ballistic at me
Turns out this Saturday is our 17th wedding anniversary :slight_smile:
She’s constantly reminding me that I should remember the date cos we got married the week after the 2000 grand final
My response for past 17 years “my Bombers haven’t won I flag since I got married to you” !!!

Fkn pumped
GO BOMBERS !!

39 Likes

#aflswansdons

2 Likes

I have one person that is keen for them. Just waiting for my mate i was going with to let me know if he can find anyone, saw him before and will let me know by tonight. Otherwise its all this persons, provided they still want them that is!

1 Like

This is actually great. Good onya mate, that was a real enjoyable read haha

3 Likes