The Wrestling Thread

Yeah as much as I love SmackDown, they suck at tag teams. Since Ryder’s injury, you can probably count on one hand (might be lucky and get to two), how many times tag teams have been featured on SmackDown in 2017. They had a brief build into Elimination Chamber where it looked like they might be trying to do something with Ascension again…then they might have been on 2 or 3 times in the 6 week build to Mania after that.

Speaking of SmackDown tag teams, Simon Gotch has been released (mutual decision - so he asked for it like Swagger). No idea where that leaves English as he was only passable in his singer gimmick, presumably he gets sent back to NXT to reinvent himself, or he becomes another jobbber like Hawkins until his contract runs out. Gotch (and the Vaudevillians as a result) had been in the doghouse since he got into a couple of backstage fights with Sin Cara, possibly Jericho as well, on the last European tour.

I wondered why they dropped off so quick. They were pushed pretty hard when elevated then just disappeared.

I think I’m going to go and watch this. I loved Chavo. True heel.

Boy oh boy that Taker/Roman match was a disaster, and not even Roman’s fault for the most part. What they should have done, is made it a triple threat with Cena/Roman/Taker which could have protected Taker so he just had to do some spots and then have Roman go over big time…but yeag, Taker losing embarrassingly was a better option.

The Bad:
That Tombstone reversal attempt that failed not once but twice…jeepers. And not to mention that botched ending spear when he ran bounced off the ropes twice but had to quickly turn it into a punch cause Taker wasn’t even looking in the right direction. Wowee. Oh and then theres that Last Ride that looked like he got Roman waist height…A horrible end to one of the best of all time. They should have just had Taker dominate and throw all his energy into tombstones right from the start, give all his energy for 5-10 minutes and then just have Roman rag doll him and spear him and gtf outta there. Cut 5-10 mins off at least. That match made me depressed and not cause it was the end of Taker.

Bray gets f*cked again but I said pre-mania it would happen so not surprised it got given the ■■■■■■ 9 minute second rate championship blowoff treatment. Love to know any sane reasoning behind another Orton win here, Bray badly needed a win to cement himself and now he looks like a joke. All talk and beaten easily.

Miz/Cena again, I said pre-mania that Cena was winning cause f*ck you that’s why. I actually fast-forwarded the match and it all went down as I thought, to even the Cena proposing part. Surely Cena could have done the job to someone on the way out…

Andre Battle Royal…yawn. Fast forward. Noticed Braun didn’t win for whatever reason.

Ambrose/Corbin…yawn. Forgot about it until this thread.

The Good:
I actually liked Triple H/Rollins, could have cut about 5 minutes off the middle tho… what I will say is Triple H gets an awesome intro every year and Rollins gets a stupid torch part. Fck. Stone Cold actually gave a good analysis of this match but he said that Rollins needs to stop doing athletic moves in matches like this where revenge should be on his mind. They need to showcase his hatred and him kicking ■■■ not doing a nice flip (which has its place but not here). Anyway, good match, liked the pedigree reversals at the end and the right man won.

Goldberg/Brock match was perfect for those two. Some big moves, some spears, get outta there. Goldberg can’t work long so cutting this match short and sharp was the right move.

Loved the tag match even if it was short at 11 mins. Hardyz got the biggest pop of the night. Really really hope they let Mat keep his delete gimmick. I think everyone did well in this one, all got their moves off and looked strong. Top stuff.

AJ/Shane. Good match, great start. Shane O surprised everyone with his wrestling and ground work and I’m happy they didn’t have to resort to a huge spot from Shane. I feel this benefited Shane more than AJ so hopefully AJ goes up from here.

Owens/Jehrico was ok to good. Could have been a classic if they moved this to the Goldberg/Brock/Bray spot on the card and an extra 5 minutes.Had a tough spot to follow the AJ match but both worked hard and never disappoint.

I’ll tell you why Orton won, a thank you for that horrible Summer Slam planned shoot.

Anthem are suing the Hardys claiming they own the Broken gimmick, so I wouldn’t expect much as WWE won’t want to get involved by airing the character. I would think they’ll drop some nods and winks to things though.

SUPERSTAR SHAKE UP rumours

[spoiler]Rumours are AJ/Bliss to RAW for New Day/Charlotte to SD.

With Cena gone they’re putting all their money on Nakamura as top face? Guessing he’s going into a program with Miz. Meanwhile I’m done with Ambrose/Corbin but that must go on then. Ambrose gets such a huge pop for some reason.

Hopefully New Day being on SD forces them to actually give the tag division air time.

Raw with AJ makes them look overstocked with mens singles talent. Reigns, Rollins, Braun, AJ, Balor, Joe, Rusev, Zayn, Bork when he shows up … others I’m forgetting? Could be amazing if they don’t focus it 100% around Reigns.
[/spoiler]

And another one gone early…

5th August
MCW
Will Freakin’ Ospreay!

Evie did the job on the way out tonight (took a horrifying over-the-top-rope apron bump late to set that up), and Madison Eagles returned after the match. Sadly someone hit her video too early, before Evie did her goodbye, which totally ruined the surprise! Put Kellyanne down for the face turn.

So the new Raw PPV in July is called, and I sh*t you not, “Great Balls of Fire”.

Fck me.

Payback spoilers:

[spoiler]Alexa > Charlotte. I was quite torn on who to barrack for in this match…

Crowd chanting “You deserve it” as Roman coughs up blood… Ow! :smiling_imp:[/spoiler]

If it’s a full-length PPV by Southpaw Regional Wrestling then it’s fine by me.

Also how about that House of Horrors match :confused:

1 Like

I was surprised the crowd didn’t immediately and massively boo the announcement the match was elsewhere (even with hasty add-on that the match would finish in the ring).

It’s a good thing Randy took his phone with him and got a really quick Uber pickup.

Watching RAW in the hope it will be broken.

Post Superstar ShakeupTM I’ve gone Smack Down only.

The above is true also for me, but from the 2016 shake-up (AJ Styles) and in my case that was from a base of not regularly watching either show.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow 10am. They’re teasing he’ll also be at a second show two weeks after that.

Pretty damn likely that yet another NXT “PPV” has just destroyed the senior PPV from the same weekend.

That was a very impressive show.

…but for some reason didn’t feel as ‘special’ as other take overs.

That U.K. Championship match tho. Wow.

Re: the end of Takeover

First the Festival of Friendship, and now this. Fks sake. Can’t we just be allowed to be happy?