Times when you were a 'Winner' or 'winning' in life

I was working at Coles during my uni years. An ATM just outside the store would randomly spit out $50 and $100 notes. We reported it but no one came to fix it. If we found money we would take it to the office and keep it there for 3 months in case it was money left behind by a someone who had just used it. I think i walked away with about $1500 from that magnificent machine.

I was working at Coles during my uni years. An ATM just outside the store would randomly spit out $50 and $100 notes. We reported it but no one came to fix it. If we found money we would take it to the office and keep it there for 3 months in case it was money left behind by a someone who had just used it. I think i walked away with about $1500 from that magnificent machine.

This ‘machine’ you speak of, may very well have been an incognito alien, studying the local flora…you may have saved our civilisation from destruction.

This ‘machine’ you speak of, may very well have been an incognito alien, studying the local flora…you may have saved our civilisation from destruction.

That machine paid for my flights to Europe!

That machine paid for my flights to Europe!

I expect extermination at any moment then.
Time flows differently for some aliens, you know. This may have happened in their ‘yesterday’.

And I just watched Signs last night. Is it a sign?

And I just watched Signs last night. Is it a sign?

Is that a new type of advertising?

A Signs sign:

Flew to Adelaide for a meeting today. Landed at 9.00.
At 9.10 the meeting was cancelled.
Having lunch now, get to chill out and catch the early flight back.

Some days life is just so good

Lol. When ATM’s were first released here they were decidedly dodgy. If you had the nerve to stand there, all you had to do was wrap a card (obviously not yours) in aluminium foil and whack it in the slot. The machine would sit for about 20 seconds wondering what to do, then it would start smoking, and screeching, and just spitting out money. You could collect as much as you had the cohones to stand there for. Fun days.

Lol. When ATM’s were first released here they were decidedly dodgy. If you had the nerve to stand there, all you had to do was wrap a card (obviously not yours) in aluminium foil and whack it in the slot. The machine would sit for about 20 seconds wondering what to do, then it would start smoking, and screeching, and just spitting out money. You could collect as much as you had the cohones to stand there for. Fun days.

Remember the cheque deposit scam?

We used to stick icy pole sticks up the money shute of payphones to extract loose change for more icy poles and fish and chips. Allegedly

Reminded me about the 50 cent pieces & super glue trick that used to work when the first green block payphones arrived.

Free phone calls to Qld & the GF in Darwin.'til the early morn.

The gold telecom phones had a technique where with one hand you could press coin return button and then hang up while holding the handset to your ear.

You’d end up with a dial tone with the receiver buttons down.

Free world wide calls.

Ok, who remembers this - instead of dialling (literally, dialling) on an old phone, you could, if you had good timing, quickly tap out the numbers on the hang-up buttons (technical name) to call a number. As a kid, i thought this circumvented charge., Not sure if it actually did, though. And lots of wrong numbers :slight_smile:

1. Massive games parlour (Grundys) on the GC as a kid that used ‘tokens’ instead of real coins. The food court had stiff plastic placemats. You could cut strips from the placemats that were the width of a token and walk up to any machine and insert your strip. Moving it in and out of the slot resulted in free credits. Played thousands of $ worth of free games over a couple of years before they changed the system.

2. Mates mum worked at swim club that had printed polos. Scored free polos. Went to newsagent and bought $2 ticket book. Knocked up prize list on swim club letterhead. Went door to door for few hours every Saturday morning selling tickets in non-existent raffle. Free money.

3. Gold Coast Indy car race started in around 1992. My mate lived inside the track and had an ‘owners’ pass. We photo-copied it in school library and went to Indy for free for a few years before they changed to bar-coded tickets.

4. Kid at school stole some driver license plastic covers from Dept of Transport. Has the ‘invisible’ ink on them that shows up under UV light with QLD Govt emblem. He sold them at school for $25. We again used school colour photo-copier to copy older mates drives license. Swapped out pictures using passport photos and at 16 we had very official looking drivers licenses showing we were 18 years old. Started night-clubbing at 16. Bouncers would hold it up to UV light and all looked good, until eventually the glue started to wear off and they split open and didn’t look so official anymore.

5. Started working at Gold Coast Arts Centre as lighting technician, straight out of high school. Was just junior technician. Lady in Accounts dept entered me in as ‘senior technician’ . So in 1993 at aged 16 was earning $30 an hour. No-one noticed for 2 years. When they did realise as wasn’t my mistake no issues.

Lots to mention too many for one post. Start with one from high school We had an exchange program with Plympton HS in SA. l went over and met a few good people. Went back over the September holidays in 1968. Got taken to a few shows as the locals called them. My host barracked for West Torrens, so we decided with a few of his mates to go to the first semi-final. Torrens were captain-coached by John Birt at the time, one of my childhood roving idols. They also had the legendary triple Magarey medal winner Lindsay Head, who at 35 with a pot belly and on one leg, made lesser players miss tackling him with his sublime evasive skills. Seriously one of the absolute best players the game has ever produced, an out and out champion who never got the just recognition her deserved, because Barry Robran he didn’t play in Vic. Where others ran he walked and they still could hardly touch him. Torrens also had Brian Mulvihill (sp?) at CHF who later crossed to the Roos.

We slept outside the Adelaide oval in a station wagon, so we could be first into the ground. l don’t remember the exact time we got it, but it was early and we got into the ground for the princely sum of 10 cents, because we said we were under 16. Then when the crowd filled up we got some beers, because we said we were over 18 or perhaps it was 20. We got a prime spot, on the fence, in the pocket next to the goals. We watched the under 18/19s kick off the dew, and the reserves. We also ended up in the papers and on the TV replay during the main game. Not sure who Torrens played, might have been West Adelaide, who had some mug ex Magpie rover, who tried to rough up Birt. The game was a tie, and Torrens lost the replay.

Bombers related one…

I went to uni on the Gold Coast and a mate managed the Runaway Bay sports complex. The facility hosts Olympics and pro teams training.

After the 2000 season the bombers held a summer training camp ther, so I spent a couple of days hanging around like a bad smell watching the training and getting to sit down and eat lunch with the players. Every one was there, except Moor-croft. Got Some stuff signed took some photos. But really just spent a few days soaking up the glory.

My mate who ran the place, well, his name was Kevin, so everywhere I went I made sure I checked if it was ok that I joined in. I kept saying ‘Kevin said I could come and sit with you guys for lunch’ ‘Kevin said I should help myself to a beer…’ (TD hands me a beer) ‘Kev reckons you guys would be ok to sign this footy’…it never occurred to me until much later that they probably all thought I was talking about Sheeds!!!

On their night off I drove some of them into surfers for a night out, I’ve got a picture somewhere of Long, M Johnson, Rioli, And someone else wearing my science lab coats and safety gear sitting in my little car waiting for a lift into town.

Took the fellas into Shooters and spent the night drinking with them.Devo seeing lloyd on the vodka raspberries, but still fun to hangout as no one in the club recognised them. They had a midnight curfew and baile, so I took advantage of those remaining bar tabs as any uni student would.

Next day I turn up a bit rusty at my work at this resort on a nearby island and my boss explains that some football team from Melbourne is staying and it turns out the club had booked a couple extra days R&R at the resort, happy days!

So I just spent another 2 days driving them around this massive resort on golf carts, and lugging all their gear around. At one point I had about 12 of them piled on a 6 seater buggy and its just lurching around corners, and I’m thinking to myself ‘if this thing flips I’ll probably kill half the club’ I can still clearly recall ’ Henneman was the most likely to go under, he was last on and didn’t want to walk. At the time he was the next big thing and I’m thinking ‘that’s Henneman, he’s going to be a superstar, I can’t let him walk, I’ll let him jump on too…’

Was such a fun couple of days. Turns out they are all just regular blokes. The ones I thought would be worth chatting to weren’t, and the ones I wouldn’t have thought worth chatting to were. Mark Bolton, Heffernan and Barnard were the noteworthy decent blokes to have a chat to.

Anyway, that was a win for any bombers fan

What tv show?

no idea. was Brisbane based one. would have either been on 7 or 9 QLD. they were only 2 channels back then i think.

I won a national talent contest at age ~7, wearing an orange and white chequered shirt and matching tie. With green cords. Singing a god-awful song, that I swear I never knew the words to. With my sister - duet. Yes, really.

I won a national talent contest at age ~7, wearing an orange and white chequered shirt and matching tie. With green cords. Singing a god-awful song, that I swear I never knew the words to. With my sister - duet. Yes, really.

I think you’re looking for the ‘Stuff I’m working through with my counsellor’ thread.