Tom Mitchell

The afl make this crap up as they go. They manufactured pick 3 for Frawley. If they want to help richmond, they will.
How did they "manufacture" pick #3 for Frawley? He was on a big, long term contract, relatively young and an AA player. 1st round compensation seems right, the only element that potentially made it over the top was Melbourne's ladder position.

If he’d left a contender and they’d got #15 based on ladder position nobody would have blinked twice.

Was that the same compo as what Hawks got for buddy? Did Geelong get 2 picks for GAJ or one?

Free Agency compensation is different to expansion clubs compensation.

HS claims Mitchell will officially nominate Hawks tomorrow.

This nomination stuff is garbage and needs to be rubbed out. Maybe I’m sour grapes because no one wants to come to us , but I guess it’s also because everyone picks a hawthorn or Collingwood and clubs get held ransom because of that.

Let’s hope Sydney play hard ball and make it harder to get O’Meara so we can swoop in PSD

HS claims Mitchell will officially nominate Hawks tomorrow.

No surprise. Hawks have had his commitment for a while. Was never going to re-sign with the Swans despite was recent reports said.
Hawks confident but not as clear on O’Meara and know we are waiting for him to spill out.

Hard to see how Hawks will get all three big fish. Lots to play out here.

Oh don’t you worry. They’ll get it all done…

… the c#n@s

The afl make this crap up as they go. They manufactured pick 3 for Frawley. If they want to help richmond, they will.
How did they "manufacture" pick #3 for Frawley? He was on a big, long term contract, relatively young and an AA player. 1st round compensation seems right, the only element that potentially made it over the top was Melbourne's ladder position.

If he’d left a contender and they’d got #15 based on ladder position nobody would have blinked twice.

Apart from one AA season, he’d been mediocre at best in recent years before the trade. There was definitely a feeling that the AFL inflated his value to do Melbourne a good turn.

Did they also inflate Hawthorn’s offer somehow?

The estimate was 500-550k for four years. Very Good money but not huge. Certainly less than Dale Thomas at 700k+ for four and a 5th year option.

The compo formula was ‘secret’ at that time. They also had a panel that could over-ride the formula anyway. Plenty of clubs thought the Frawley contract should equate to end of first round. But melbourne really needed a top pick after the Afl had parachuted Roos into the coaching role and the feeling was that whilst a priority pick couldnt be justified, giving maximum for frawley was quite easy given no published guidelines on the compo. And as posted in this thread, they then tightened requirements the following year…

Personally, i think the Frawley compo was concocted.

Well they don’t have to trade for Vickery. Hawks played it smart (unless they’re over paying a spud) But they offered around 400-450k a year on a 2 year contract to Vickery in hope of Richmond not matching it so they can atleast keep their picks to help with their omeara and Mitchell trades

So Vickery as a free agent.

Pick 14 and Sicily perhaps for Mitchell.

And they can basically offer Hill trade (mayne compo pick 23?) & another player like Hartung to GC who will surely just accept it over losing JOM for nothing in PSD.

Fkn Hawks!!!

Apart from one AA season, he’d been mediocre at best in recent years before the trade. There was definitely a feeling that the AFL inflated his value to do Melbourne a good turn.

Did they also inflate Hawthorn’s offer somehow?

The estimate was 500-550k for four years. Very Good money but not huge. Certainly less than Dale Thomas at 700k+ for four and a 5th year option.

The compo formula was ‘secret’ at that time. They also had a panel that could over-ride the formula anyway. Plenty of clubs thought the Frawley contract should equate to end of first round. But melbourne really needed a top pick after the Afl had parachuted Roos into the coaching role and the feeling was that whilst a priority pick couldnt be justified, giving maximum for frawley was quite easy given no published guidelines on the compo. And as posted in this thread, they then tightened requirements the following year…

Personally, i think the Frawley compo was concocted.

I think the Frawley compo was concocted as well but I also think it was correct. FA compo should be very good for a bottom team and almost nothing for a top 4 side.

So Vickery as a free agent.

Pick 14 and Sicily perhaps for Mitchell.

And they can basically offer Hill trade (maybe compo pick 23?) & another player like Hartung to GC who will surely just accept it over losing JOM for nothing in PSD.

Fkn Hawks!!!

I wouldn’t accept that if I was Sydney.

GC have said a top player and first rounder or a top ten pick and another first rounder for JOM.

Depending on the compo backlash Tigers might not get much and match.

I just don’t think they can get all three without offloading some serious players.

If I was Sydney I would be asking for Smith and Pick 14.

GC I would say go get a top ten pick (maybe with 14 and Hill could get one) and next years first.

Richmond (if they matched) I would be after Sicily and a second rounder.

They just appear to be short a first rounder or a good player. The only way I can see this happening is if somebody gets screwed. Be it a club overpaying for a dud from hawks. Or a player not getting there.

Hawthorn is not a team I would be concerned with in the next few years, even with Jaeger, Mitchell and Vickery.
Gws, Dogs, Sydney, Adelaide and Us will all have a better list to pick from in 17.

Fark Hawthorn, they’re cooked.

Was that the same compo as what Hawks got for buddy? Did Geelong get 2 picks for GAJ or one?

True. But was the compo the same for buddy and Frawley?

Would have been the same if Melbourne and Hawthorn finished together on the ladder.

Would have been the same if Melbourne and Hawthorn finished together on the ladder.

Which is where the system is flawed. There is no way Frawley is worth the same as Franklin either on the ground or in terms of the contract received which was my point to ants post.

Officially nominated Hawks

Which is where the system is flawed. There is no way Frawley is worth the same as Franklin either on the ground or in terms of the contract received which was my point to ants post.

At the end of the day “compensation pick” is the wrong name for it. It’s a “consolation pick” so clubs don’t lose a developed player for nothing at all. It’s not supposed to equal the value of the player that is leaving, just act as lubrication to make the fact you are being screwed in the ■■■■ a little bit less unpleasant.

Eventually clubs will get sick of being bumped down the draft order in years when they aren’t involved in FA deals and the AFL will scrap the idea of compo picks entirely.

Fark.

theyll get a 2nd round for that offer

Well, that’s it then. Case closed.

lol