Tom Rockliff

I’d pass on Rockliff unless he cost us nothing and was willing to come on a reduced wage. So I’d pass on Rockliff.

I’m not hugely keen either. Is just too injured, too often.

I have no idea what he’s on, so I’m not interested in the money.

I imagine that if you trade for him then Brisbane don’t get their FA compo, so here’s what you do…
You offer technically overs for one of their other players, and we get Rockliff, too.

It’s not like they don’t have low hanging fruit.
What would you offer trade-wise for Mathieson and Rockliff?
Or take your pick.

I’m sure this has happened before and is happening now.

1 Like

I’ll never farking understand supporters of this club. We want to add quality to the list to reach the next level, but once someone becomes available (Rockliff, Stringer) people want to pass. make no sense.

19 Likes

Because if we can’t have Josh Kelly just farking burn the joint down.

What does Josh Kelly do again?

Rockliff is 28. He comes with no guarantees fitness wise… He is not going to deliver a premiership or even close at the moment as our young stars still have a little way to go to become elite members of our side. So its a waste of $800K per season for mine. He is to old to get in and pay big bucks for a couple of years while he’s in the twilight of his career. He isn’t getting any faster and all of a sudden become more durable overnight.

I don’t mind trading and paying someone big bucks but we need to ensure they will provide 8 plus years value. No more pensioners! All you end up doing is paying someone big bucks which removes the ability of you going for a real young gun who will be a mainstay for your club for a decade. Or you limit the ability of keeping your upcoming stars.

5 Likes

I’d like Mathieson on our list. He can leave his shot gun and ducking in Brisvegas and join the choir down in our Parish.

We have removed a lot of experience from our list. He’s 27, and only one day older than Zaha, who we just offered a four year deal. No doubt he would add some much needed class to our midfield.

5 Likes

I have some affinity with what you’re saying, however I’m naturally averse to the idea that Essendon is not a flag prospect within the next three years.

As far as I’m concerned, every club is a flag prospect within the next three years.

4 Likes

Four years and 896 clearances thanks!

5 Likes

Exactly. I thought Richmond were no where near a flag 12 months ago. Things can change pretty quickly.

2 Likes

I might agree with you if we had to trade for him but as a free agent who could provide much needed support for our younger, skinnier inside mids, this is an absolute no-brainer.

4 Likes

I thought we were nowhere near a flag at the end of 1998!

6 Likes

take away the ducking and there’s not much left.

We just made finals, we will only be losing Watson & Kelly from that side. Both well past their best.

No doubt in this trade period we will improve our list in the areas of need & move on others who aren’t up to it.

Combine that with the natural improvement of our younger players and a better performance from the returning players 2nd year back and no reason we won’t climb ladder more.

We weren’t that far off top4, as such we are a chance in coming years for sure.

1 Like

Not a fan of his demonstrative demeanor.
But the little prick gets clearances, I’ll give him that.

See I think he can definitely be part of a next flag push. Fmd if we are not right in the top four mix in the next 3-4 years I’m sure we’ll all be pretty farken upset. He isn’t the long-term answer in the middle but he is a total beast and exactly what we need right now, and can fill that void for a few years. You surely don’t pass up on quality like this bloke, especially when they’re free

4 Likes

Agreed. Giving up draft picks is one thing. But the antics of North with Kelly and Martin this year, plus other sides perennially, show that having salary cap is not a guarantee of getting a player. We have the space, if a top midfielder like Rockliff is willing to come we would be fools to turn him down.

5 Likes

I agree. He averages more than 18 disposals and 3.5 clearances a game… not bad for a 19 year old playing in that side.

1 Like

4-5 of those disposals from free kicks for ducking.