Tom Rockliff

Oh man we’re becoming Brisbane

3 Likes

The more I think about this, the more on board I am.

The man of many Jackets needs to make this happen.

Very important that we learn what we can from the games elite.

Remember when Hawthorn picked up like 3-4 Melbourne off-cuts and actually got good service from them?

My source likes him and is close(ish) to him so there may be a bit of bias but my understanding is the whole “he has attitude issues” or “he’s a ■■■■ bloke” is really overstated.

Hard trainer, demands the best of his teammates which can get people offside.

Also probably is a bit of a lad/likes a sherbert (put a line through re-signing half our list btw if that offends you, and probably including many of our favourites at that).

Don’t think that makes him reside in Dustin Martin “run away at a mile a minute” territory.

4 Likes

Hell, I wanted us to draft him.

2 Likes

Sounds like a more relaxed BJ

Huh? Oh! You mean Goddard!

1 Like

The best thing about Rockliff? Unlike Fyfe or Martin (or maybe even Pittard), there is no way Brisbane will match the FA bid. An offer sufficient to get him should be triggering a round 1 compo, which for them will be pick #2 or #3.

Given clearances are one of our issues, being a clearance king is a pretty big plus. He also provides link up play, and has shown in the past he’s pretty good in the forward line. I suspect the only reason he’s never done much outside is, well, why would you with Brisbane’s midfield?

He comes a hell of a lot cheaper than Kelly.
Interestingly, there is exactly five years gap between the two. Are five good seasons of football worth two first round draft picks?

Rockliff is pretty handy forward, so if we want to rotate Walla and Raz through the midfield he can do stints up there. Midfields are 8-10 deep nowadays.

6 Likes

I want him, Martin and then get Swan in as a coach.

Because Rockliff is more creative as a forward than as a midfielder.

The 70% split midfield and 30% forward seems right.

1 Like

We don’t need creative forwards - we’ve actually got these in abundance. We need inside clearance machines - meaning Rockliff would best service us in the guts. Still, I don’t mind him resting in the forward line but if he’s up and going, his role in the mid is crucial, a role up forward is not so.

We need to get Hipwood next…imagine the combined lanky goofball power of our forward line!

I get you’re being sarcastic but when you look at the players they have lost & what they have done elsewhere I think its fair to say that Brisbane’s issues haven’t been a result of their drafting. They haven’t developed & retained their talent very well but identifying doesn’t seem to be a major issue for them. Even Rockliff was a PSD pick & guys like Hanley, Zorko & Crisp (coll) were all rookies. Its the 1st rounders like Henderson, Docherty, Yeo, Berger, Clark, Longer, Polec & Aish that they have lost for under value that have really set them back. I can see the AFL gifting them a retention allowance again until they can hold onto their players especially is Schache leaves after only 2 years.

Pfft, Rockliff V Skipworth?

I think we made the right call…

2 Likes

We struggle in the clearances. That is his main strength. Shouldnt even be a question.

Bring
Him
In

I like it. Woosha has said we are a better side when we get the ball to the foward line quickly. How can having a clearance machine hurt?

I was disapointed that we didn’t pull the trigger this year.

people saying that he wants to stay in Brizzy now. Apparently is happy with the direction Fagan is taking the club. He would be really handy though.

Rats.

I have been on board since last year (and started the thread last year too I think).

Total gun with 5 good years left
Wouldn’t cost us much money (compared to other options)
Unrestricted free agent (as opposed to other options which would cost us the earth in draft picks)
Wants out of current club
Fills a massive need for us post Jobe
A real ■■■■ (this is a positive)

How is this even controversial at all? Get him.

7 Likes