Tom Sheridan

We have a bunch of highly talented 20ish yr old players who are knocking on the door of the 22. We need to open spots to let these guys develop at AFL level. If we don’t play the talent we have, they will request trades to teams that can provide opportunities.

2 Likes

Agree with this. I’d only go down this track if said player filled an obvious need of ours and would be best 22 from Round 1. I doubt Sheridan would be that given we have a glut of similar sized, similar positional types on our list within 1-2 years of his age bracket. If he was a contested ball animal then different story. For instance if Cam Ellis-Yolmen didn’t re-sign with the Crows he’d be a decent player to target. Mitch Grigg, ex-Adelaide, is someone I think we should be looking at seriously with one of our later picks in the draft…

One thing everyone is missing here: His name begins with an “S” so it’s a big yeSSSSSS from me.

And by yes I probably mean no, he’s not the player to improve our list.

9 Likes

Genuinely surprised he’s been delisted. Can play, but not sure I’d bother given the amount of experience we’ve retained.

1 Like

Tom Sheridan career averages as per StatsPro:

Um, isn’t this the exact opposite of our needs? We’ve got a plethora now of spare inside mids (Mutch, Clarke, Mynott), whereas on the outside as depth we’ve got … Long. Even guys like Begs, Laverde and Stringer project more as inside rather than outside if they transition to the midfield.

Its really only if we start moving half-back flankers up that we get some more outside depth, and even then Redman did well inside last year in small stints!

4 Likes

Agree again 100%

Our inside mids are Hepp, Shiel, Smith, Myers, Parish, Langford and Stringer. We are fine for this.

Outside runners is Zaka, Raz, Long. Which really is only Zaka.

1 Like

What was his season average and how did he perform against top 8 teams? Was there performance uplift? What game time % has he has historically? Top line stats are a bit useless in isolation. Metres gained?

But but… Sydney bullied us in the finals in 2017 so inside mids must be our problem!!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s like Dodoro never drafts inside mids. Apart from that period we had Watson, Heppel, Myers, Hocking, Howlett with NOB and Kav as depth and we were all saying we needed more run…

I doubt that Sheridan is going to be the best available outside mid.

I think we’d be better off going to the draft to find that depth, as Sheridan would be purely depth, with little scope to ever be more than that.

I think Ridley and Redman showed enough to suggest that they can play AFL footy if required. Redman in particular seems to enjoy the contest, and probably just needs a big pre season to get that aerobic base to run games out.
I’ve not seen enough of Sheridan to comment on his website side/hardness. But if that was the criticism of Lyon as someone else mentioned, then I’m not sure how well that fit our needs. We all lamented Goddard shirking contests this year and coughing up goals.
When you look at the list the cattle are there to cover injury. Are they better than Sheridan right at this minute… maybe not. Will they be better players for a longer time period. I’d bet they will. It also helps morale when guys get rewarded for performance in the reserves. Not sure bringing in a stop gap DFA helps that

Luke Partington seems a surprising delisting.

A bit vanilla. Lacks an elite trait for mine to be a gun mid.

Because if he had ah ‘elite’ trait he would not have been delisted.

1 Like

I remember a lot of talk about him too. Talk was he was going to be a very good AFL player.

1 Like
1 Like

If we couldn’t find a spot for Bags on the main list then I very much doubt we are bringing this fella in.

3 Likes

Disagree.

We obviously want to free up a spot on main list be it for a draftee or DFA

If we were interested in a DFA we wouldn’t be able to attain them without delisting other players / or the Bags rookie list manouvre

Not to say we are keen on Sheridan however, although we do lack outside run depth

If we need depth it’s an outside player. I haven’t seen enough of this bloke to weigh in either way but, for this position I’d prefer a mature player with some upside than a pick 90 18 year old.

1 Like