Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

We can do it within the rules. I don’t think we should, but we can.

1 Like

Someone said you can only a few days ago but would prevent you from trading future picks until you take a first round pick? Sorry I couldn’t find the post.

So you’re saying we’re gonna get Shiel?

But as for returning to Essendon :wink:

1 Like

I think we might start seeing more of this - pouring water on rumours that are not true.

I think clubs want to be seen as being respectful to one another so if a totally off the mark rumour is put about clubs will come and and call it for what it is.

It also reduces expectations by EFC fans.

2 Likes

I like the Shiel idea but why is he so important as some suggest?
He’s a burst midfielder like Zerrett and requires a qtr of time on the bench.
He doesn’t rack up huge numbers in disposal or clearances. He also doesn’t kick many goals.

1 Like

Except Norf.

Agree. Here is the statement we released last year regarding Dusty -

“Essendon Football Club can categorically confirm that no offer has been made to Dustin Martin or his management and reports suggesting otherwise are unfounded”

Fair to say based on history we can rule out going for Beams.

There not rumours.

North is chasing everyone they just can’t close the deal.

1 Like

Follow up: here’s the latest article I can find on it (I assume the AFL site is getting good info). The relevant quote is

The AFL this week confirmed to AFL.com.au that unless a club has acquired two first-round picks between 2015-2018, it cannot trade away its first-round selection for 2019.

So, the rule is that if you haven’t had 2 first round picks in the previous 4 years, you cannot trade first round picks (not what the AFL originally said, but whatever). We have 2015 and 2016, so we’re all good to trade our 18/19 1st this year. In 2019 and 2020 we wouldn’t be able to trade our 2020 1st, unless we dug up another 1st from somewhere else.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, Sheeds has got the fax machine all fired up and ready to go. Nothing can stop us!

1 Like

Last year he averaged 26 disposals a game, was fourth in the league for total clearances and second in total centre clearances. He is a fantastic footballer and would make us a much better team.

16 Likes

Only reason the club would put out a statement is for the rest of the industry. It makes it clear to all players, clubs and managers that Essendon is hunting for a quality player and is not locked into Beams.

If key individuals thought Beams was a lock, it might prevent other trade discussions.

2 Likes

i find it incredibly hard to believe that the managers of AFL players get their news rumors on SEN/ Bigfooty/ Hack journlaists… surely they all have each others numbers and can just phone them to seek clarification?

1 Like

“Quality player and person

Hmm how well do you know him Jackets?

1 Like

Certainly if I had to characterise player managers it would be “transparent and honest”.

W A R C H E S T
A
R
C
H
E
S
T

3 Likes

He offers something we don’t have enough of. A midfielder that can spread from a stoppage with pace and kick it properly.

We have guys that can win the stoppage but generally they are poor kicks and slow.

Imo it’s the biggest hole in our list, Mids with pace that can kick.

Also disagree that Zerrett is a burst Mid, imo he’s a worker but is generally a very good kick.

2 Likes

Isn’t Sheil an inside mid, who along with Ward who wins the clearance and gives it to Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio and Scully who are the guys that offer the spread?

1 Like

He does both and Coniglio is usually tagging, although racking up plenty of the ball himself.

Most midfields are rotation based so they run many different combos through there depending on various factors.