Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

I know they are rotation based.

But isn’t Sheil an upgrade on Myers, being primarily a clearance player. Not an outside spread and delivery player like Zaka or Colyer.

1 Like

That would depend on how we wanted to play him.

I don’t believe we have seen anything yet that suggests Worsfold doesn’t want Myers to continue on as a clearance mid, so i’m assuming Shiel as being one of the guys who can fill the spread and deliver role and his kicking is superior to most of our guys.

if he wanted to and so did gws I don’t know why you wouldn’t.

over the last 10 week where we have played well he has looked average or below average. he has lost a yard and his decision making, disposal and positioning have all declined. he has peaked and will play on for another 2 or 3 years. Francis and Ridley look like they should be able to cover his output this year for the foreseeable future which would mean there is no loss in the back half.

Sheil has 3 to 4 years of elite football ahead of him, then another couple of serviceable years. this would improve our midfield, arguably to a point where it is one of the best on the league.

retaining our 1st rounder this year explains itself.

to me, we don’t lose out on this deal and actually improve our list

I think his clearance numbers were up because of the absence of Coniglio last year but it does prove given the opportunity he can win it in the contest. Good enough argument for me.

1 Like

When it’s done in public like that, there’s an obscure reason - probably Connors-related. Public, means ‘perception’ (perceived value). Since this rumour was neutral - neither positive nor negative, the only purpose of a public announcement would be for market reasons.

1 Like

Since when? This thread will be 50/50 between Beams and Shiel

49.9/49.9

Nino still wants Wallis.

5 Likes

I still want Patton

i can’t wait to see beams training in essendon gear on the MARVEL STADIUM sized oval.

1 Like

Riolio still wants B Green

2 Likes

What about Shiel training In superhero underwear?

2 Likes

North Melbourne Football Club wishes to clarify media reports relating to Brisbane Lions midfielder Dayne Beams.

The club has not made any contact with Beams, his management or the Brisbane Lions about a trade to North.

North List and Recruiting part-timer Graeme Allan confirmed the recent reports were incorrect.

“As we do every year, as a club, we try desperately to improve our mediocre list via the trade, free agency and draft periods,” Allan said on Thursday.

“Dayne Beams is obviously a quality player and person which doesn’t make him a natural fit at North. But he is not someone we are actively pursuing and we have not approached him or his management about returning to Melbourne.

“Of course it doesn’t mean we won’t approach him if Gaff, Shiel, Mitch McGovern, Hall, Lynch, Hanneberry, Hartley, Laverde, Fasolo, Sam Collins and Nick Hind continue to refuse to call us back.

“We believe the fact you can’t play pokies at the club and our close proximity to a train station are major drawcards for players looking for a new start.”

30 Likes

Screenshot taken and filed.

4 Likes

And emailed to Dodoro.

2 Likes

Well he did train with Manchester United :rofl:

Some statistics of interest, the top data is based on AFL rankings (i.e Jaryd Lyons ranked 2nd in the AFL this season for Average Clearances)

I know where my focus would be based on this…

Is Essendon’s default position these days to respond to every single thing speculated on by the media? Seems to be that way. I can’t for the life of me work out why this needed any comment whatsoever…

2 Likes

But clearances are no longer our biggest weakness plus you could make an argument to say clearances are no longer as important as they used to be.

The Giants lead clearances with 40.6 and we are 37.0. If i remember correctly we are second in clearances since the Carlton game or at least were at some stage.

Plus stats can also be misleading, especially depending on the style of game you play.

1 Like

Clearances will have more importance next year. No longer will you have a spare unless you move a winger to the back of square. However if that’s the case and opposition wins the clearance they have a spare wingman that can send it deep into fwd 50. I know that’s just for centre clearances but next year will be more so a territory game influenced by clearances and the midfield.

Against the top sides we are getting beaten in the clearances.

IMO if we bring in Shiel, I’d like Merrett to spend more time on the outside. We need his pace and foot skills more than his contested work.

4 Likes