Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Sure let me just go to my stat library…

2 Likes

I mentioned last night, about our depth players.

McKernan, Brown and Hartley might be offered a 3 year deal and regular game time if they went to the Gold Coast.

All three of them can’t play each week. McKernan might have forced his way into the best 22. IMO Brown and Hartley’s days are number at Essendon (likely at the end of 2019). If they want to extend their AFL career it’s an option.

1 Like

I ask this because Giants are near a finals berth because Shiel clears the ball from a stoppage and probably has a high percentage for assisting in a goal and low turnover percentage.
Whereas those other players you mentioned play for teams nowhere near a finals appearance.

Shiel ranks as Elite in Goal Assists. The only other stat he ranks Elite in is behinds!

1 Like

Behinds can win against a scoreless team.
Goals and behinds win a game.

1 Like

Agreed. I actually think the soft cap on department spending hurts the non football states most because they need extra support for a playing list that predominantly comes from out of that state. There’s such a big focus on mental health and the like these days, being a young man leaving home early, toiling away in state leagues on minimum chips is a tough grind and likely what some of the recent GC draftees (and Brisbane of a few years ago) are experiencing. GWS have had a decent record with this though and probably says a lot about experienced football people (Sheedy, Choco, Gubby Allan & a senior core of players) being there to start that club as opposed to a bunch of first timers like at GC. There’s no doubt that GC need to spend up on support staff to assist their playing list to build a culture draftees want to be a part of and experienced players see a future at.

He is staying in GWS.

Support staff is a necessity to keep the motivation that it’s the best place to be but they can go further than just that. Can’t they invest in an apartment complex? Cheaper living would help as would future career opportunities with trade and bachelor degrees. All clubs push that but there must be a more lucrative.

I think the Beams thing is a ruse to simply get on his and his managers radar.

Sure we haven’t approached him.

Through the media we now have…

Dodoro layed on the compliments awful generously for a guy we supposedly haven’t been interested in.

Yeah, why pick up a phone and call his manager when we could just take the more direct route and release a press statement in which we make a generous statement about him? Sounds solid.

4 Likes

Considering we’ve had a crack at opposition clubs for publicly announcing that they’re interested in our players, who are under contract (cough Melbourne cough).

It would be hypocritical for us to be announcing we’re interested in a player from another club. In fact, we have never publicly stated an interest in opposition players until it’s trade week or the actual trade is completed.

do the Shiel diel

5 Likes

Where’s Beams?

Perfect! Will feel right at home with us.

2 Likes

We’d go back to back to back to back…Dont think the comp is ready

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea trying to pull Charlie Cinstable out of Geelong?. The bloke is still not to be getting a debut this year with great numbers in the 2’s. Big body midfield who is clean by foot.

2 Likes

Bit hard being OS but I mentioned a week or so back that before I left I was told by a player agent they we were very heavily into Shiel still despite him coming out at the time and saying he was happy at GWS.

3 Likes

Other Blitzers have probably posted this already…anyway…

I feel the best explanation for the Beams statement is that…we are currently trying to convince another inside mid to come to the Bombers.

Therefore, we put out the Beams denial to assure our real target that there will be the promised midfield time with us.

6 Likes

My assumption is that we want Beams to initiate the trade. If we show interest Brisbane will ask for overs.

3 Likes

Well just draft no trades