Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

That’s not how drafting or trading works. I could give you a longer list of first round picks who ended up being champion players.

On this we can agree… The comparison of Parker and Wallis ranks alongside Laverde being better than Parker one day as the stupidest things said on the internet today.

2 Likes

How exactly did we have an era at the top but Port didn’t? What about WC who were top 3 for 3 seasons (2gf’s) then bottomed out for a few them back to top 4 4 years later.

The reality is that any side 5-7 years later is very much a different side. Just because there might be a few of the same players the reality is that for example the Hawthorn sides of 08 to 13 had 13 different players. That 2 sides in 25 years have rebuilt in that time & won flags with some of the same players means its very much doable & far more so than the example of a club winning a flag, trading out all their good players for draft picks & then winning a flag within 5-7 years. Got any examples of that working ever?

How anyone can say we were so far from a flag in 2002 is just beyond logic. Again our list had the best forward combo in the clubs history, one of the greatest defenders the game has seen & Hird who could play anywhere. That is absolutely the foundations of a premiership team as we saw 2 years prior. What changed post 2000 was that we lost & were forced to trade players, particularly mids & we drafted just about as badly as was humanly possible. What I said then, now & will always maintain is that we had the foundations to contend until at least 2005 & not just because of 4 players, we had quite a few other good players still around from 2000 (JJ had career high stats in 04) but we added almost nothing to the side from the 99-04 drafts. We desperately needed more mids to replace Bewick, Long (he retired after 01) & to replaced the traded Blumfield & Heff We ended up dragging our best small defenders MJ & Solly into the midfield because it was such a weakness. While I take Ants point about our cap management making paying for established mids near impossible, I will always believe that we were 1-2 quality mids short of another flag.

How can anyone actually suggest that a team that plays in consecutive prelims is not a serious contender in those years? Did you rate WB a serious contender at the start of the 2016 finals? Do you have some system for what constitutes a serious contender to you?

So let me see if I have this correct - are you saying that unless you win 3 flags in a row then within 5-7 years you do it again then you are a complete failure? Your position appears to be that anything short of sustained flags isn’t worth doing. Geelong have 4 players from their last flag side, they are not simply trying to ride that past glory. Ultimately they are trying to be a contender every year & again I think that is absolutely something we should be aiming for. I would absolutely consider our club a success if we could manage back to back prelims.

Why is everyone talking about our recruiting in 2002? It’s completely irrelevant

7 Likes

Because someone made the mistake of replying to JBomber.

14 Likes

Never a good idea

2 Likes

JBOMBER needs to reroll his account to the name TL:DR

2 Likes

would have thought that if Wallis was leaving he would have announced it by now.

Trade Radio is already running?

FFS.

6 Likes

If we got Parker and Shiel,imagine that!!

#Dreamin

2 Likes

How sweet it is that you think Fark Carlton were legit with how they paid Judd.

1 Like

Imagine we got nobody. Imagine that.

2 Likes

There’s not enough draft picks in the world to do that.

I just did,and came up with nothing?

imagined to perfection!

Imagine if nobody got us.

yes there is, we just don’t have them.

All that tells me is that the size of Buddy’s contract is starting to bite and cuts have to be made on Sydney’s list with experienced players - like a Hannaberry and a Parker - on big, multi-year contracts to have room to pay for Buddy and the up-coming young talent they have (e.g. Mills, etc.).

1 Like

But they’re not. And anything deeper than one single number will tell you that.

If you break it down to one single number, Goddard had almost the same number of touches as Dev Smith. It tells you almost nothing.
Where did they get the ball. What did they do with it. Were they putting up decent efforts defensively. Etc etc etc.

I believe Parker is a realistic chance. Don’t think Shiel will leave Sydney.

1 Like