Trade Targets

Have to be taking the ■■■■

Also, think O’Rourke was pick 2. Absolute lemon of a pick. Despite common belief, GWS have drafted loads of lemons and could be way way better. They have just had so many cracks at the cherry.

4 Likes

AFL shouter if can be trusted at all indicating that WC going into full rebuild mode.

Hence trying to get as many picks as they can early. Also McGovern and Gaff scenarios could be at play. Gaff definitely a FA end of next year, not sure if McGov would be but maybe so also.

Crows possibly after McGovern for him to play with brother and will have picks galore to use. Gaff has been being chased by many Vic clubs.

Throw in our 2018 first and we’ll take Gaff off their hands.

1 Like

He’s a poor man’s Jake Melksham.

I fully understand them trading out Gaff, and that could be the smart move. They’d definitely get more this year than next when he’s a FA (if he leaves or is pushed then). However, why would they trade out McGovern? He’s not particularly old is he? And he’s a WA boy.

Frankly, if the salary cap could handle it I’d be handing over our 2018 first for either of those two. McGovern in fixes any “Hooker back” issues and Gaff beefs up the midfield.

2 Likes

The talk is that he is wanting to go and play with his brother at the Crows.

I’m not sure our salary cap can cope with 2x McGoverns and a Gaff.

He layers his hair, the flog!

Left in limbo: The big names running out of time >> >

Nick Bowen
October 19, 2017 7:33 PM

SHARROD Wellingham, Billy Hurting, Jonathan O’Rourke, Trent McKenzie, Ben Lennon and Nick Suban headline the list of players remaining in limbo following the end of the player exchange period.

West Coast defender Wellingham, 29, is still out of contract as are Hawthorn pair Hartung, 22, and O’Rourke, 23, Gold Coast foundation player McKenzie, 25, and Richmond forward Lennon, 22, while Fremantle midfielder Suban, 27, is among six free agents overlooked this year.

Wellingham, a member of Collingwood’s 2010 premiership team, played 13 games this year after falling out of favour in the second half of the season. With the Eagles recently embarking on a list overhaul, his future at the club appears highly uncertain.

Hartung attracted some interest from rival clubs including the Brisbane Lions during the trade period, and after playing 18 games this season appears a good chance of being offered a new contract by the Hawks.

O’Rourke, 2012’s No.2 draft pick, appears on far shakier ground after hamstring injuries limited him to just six VFL games this year. The former Giant has played nine senior games in his three seasons at Waverley and could have run out of chances.

Only three players have played more games for Gold Coast than McKenzie – Jarrod Harbrow, Tom Lynch and Gary Ablett – and the booming left-footer burst on to the AFL scene in his first season, 2011, winning a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination and a spot in Australia’s International Rules Series team.

However, the 106-gamer has played just 14 senior matches for the Suns over the past two seasons and appears on the outer.

Lennon, 2013’s No.12 pick, has played 21 games in his four seasons at Punt Road, including just two this season.

Suban has played 156 games with Fremantle but after a tough 2017 season when he spent extended stints in the WAFL his chances of being re-signed appear slim. The Victorian has attracted interest from rival clubs, however, and could get another chance as a delisted free agent.

Other players remaining uncontracted include luckless Swans premiership defender Alex Johnson, St Kilda’s American ruckman Jason Holmes, and Suns pair Michael Rischitelli and Matt Shaw.

Geelong forward Daniel Menzel and Richmond midfielder Anthony Miles are also uncontracted but have been offered one-year deals by their respective clubs, while out-of-contract Tigers forward Jacob Townsend is also expected to be offered a new deal.

Other out-of-contract players include:

Brisbane Lions
Claye Beams, Michael Close, Cian Hanley

Carlton
Blaine Boekhorst, Dylan Buckley, Nick Graham, Simon White

Collingwood
Ben Sinclair

Essendon
Ben Howlett, Jackson Merrett, Josh Green

Geelong
Ryan Gardner

Hawthorn
Kade Stewart, Kurt Heatherley

Port Adelaide
Matt White, Jimmy Toumpas

Richmond
Jake Batchelor, Nathan Drummond

West Coast
Tom Lamb

There Fark all in that.

Close has been talked about for Collingwood for a while.

1 Like

Not much for us.

For those in the know, which other players were we rumoured to have been interested in during the trade period? The ones that were further down our list of priorities?

So many oblique references over the past few weeks…teasers without names…but I don’t see any reason for holding back the names now.

2 Likes

Nows out chance to swoop on Boekhorst

2 Likes

Close might be worth a look at for a back-up tall.

1 Like

I was wondering about this.
Has he played back at all?

I’m pretty sure he has, but I’m only going on Brisbane games I’ve watched.

We’ve got Hurley, Hartley, Brown, Ambrose, Francis, and you want another backup tall defender???

He’s a forward generally.

Sounds strange, does it?
Let’s go through them:
Hurls - we’ve kinda agreed he’s not a lockdown, and his rebound work is essential. He generates play and has the size and height to intercept.
Harts - unconvincing. That may change. Or it may not.
Brown - depth.
Ambrose - Yep - a bit undersized, but he’s our main big lockdown. Kinda big. Big heart.
Francis - one day, I hope he will replace Hurls. Similar. One day.

So Ants - who are our KPD’ers? Are you happy with the depth we have?
Personally, I want a 196-ish strong KPD that can take on a gun forward of similar height. Someone like, for example, Hooker. Or Carlise.