Training 21/1/19

Great news.

Not many have him best 22, so he gets left out a bit. But he is so very good when the ball is on the ground, that if he adds that aerial presence, then he becomes a very handy footballer.

Thanks for the update on his progress.

2 Likes

Well, we’ve practiced the use of the golf cart. We are good to go!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the update on Kobe.

I can tell you that the kid is doing everything he can to be a senior footballer.

6 Likes

I remember last pre season he was looking great, started the season on fire and then just faded really quickly. Hopefully this year he can keep it together. And hopefully he has lost that terrible stutter in his goal kicking routine.

1 Like

I’m loving the pressure all the players are putting on each other to perform. McGrath and Parish wont want to be pushed out because of Sheil, and with their improvement there’s pressure on Smith and Merret to prove they are at the top of their games.
Langford’s improvement put’s pressure on Myer’s and Hepp to show they are still the better “big-bodied-mid” options, and JD and Fantasia returning has forced Smack, Brown, Stewart to step up.
Draper seems to be ready to take the next step this year and so TBC will be desperate to prolong his career as #1 ruckman.
Laverde and Guelfi are trying to carve out a permanent spot in the side (i.e. be undroppable) while simultaneously guys like Gown, Mossie & Ham’s will be putting up their hand for a spot on the bench.
Gleeson’s return and Francis’ unveiling shakes up the backline too, and Ambrose is training the house down and will be hard to overlook.

16 Likes

Yes it can. I only fly back into the country on the day that our round one game is currently scheduled.

1 Like

I bet you scheduled it that way deliberately didn’t you?

@theDJR, making season 2019 all about him

8 Likes

And don’t forget a bloke called ‘Fridge’ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Indeed, the potential is very exciting with that pressure for spots making it really tough.

I haven’t bothered to work out my best 22 yet. But those who miss out should will make a very good list of talent to draw upon.

This year should be for real.

1 Like

Just a few comments

Agree with the thoughts on Ham. Looked bigger, faster and cleaner than I would have imagined. Really think we may have a player here!

Stringer runs like my grandma and she’s been dead for decades. That said, with coaches haranguing him, he completed all drills and is trying. He and Draper were running alongside each other in a couple of drills.

McGrath is going go next level. That passage where he was applauded by the players that lead to a goal was brilliant. Side-stepping, blistering pace and I think more confident by foot.

Mozzie was squished in one tackling drill. Just winded probably. Looks very evasive and quick.

Walla was quick, powerful and magnificent skills.

Zlark is surprisingly quick and though his kicking seems a bit awkward, it is effective enough.

Hirdy looked like a boy amongst men. Bomberbelle and I were afraid for his safety.

Both Zerk and Ridley are real athletes. Ridley was leading some of the interval training exercises. McGrath who is absolutely non slouch was struggling to keep up.

Masons Fletcher and Redman were doing my type of training; slow walks around the oval, chatting like a couple of old biddies over tea and cakes.

Plenty of players looking really terrific. Going to be amazing how the selectors choose the side. There appears to be a very large talent base.

Fun to be there!

46 Likes

The depth and versatility of the list is exciting.

1 Like

I know every pre-season is hyped, but I don’t remember one in recent years sounding so promising mainly because of the intensity everyone is reporting. I love that there are scuffles and that the former also-rans seem to bringing so much to the season. It’s exciting, and hopefully carries over into a good season.

The quality of training reports has been fantastic. Thanks to all who’ve contributed.

9 Likes

Matt Pocock is right about Ham. He reminds me of Papley at the Swans. No surprise if he plays AFL in 2019. Mosquito is a beautiful mover who has good ball sense and seems to be a natural crumber, though he is more a 2020 prospect. Standout for me was Langford. Good in close and had extra time to expertly dispose of the ball.

22 Likes

There’s something about him isn’t there? Can’t wait to see him play again. Heppell has tipped him as the most likely to have a breakout season out of all the young players.

3 Likes

Up there as my #1 pick also.

1 Like

When/where Did Hep say this?

1 Like

That is exciting. That quote from a TAC opposition coach (I think it was) about Ham giving him way more headaches than that poor kid Fark Carlton picked at 1 was hugely encouraging. You just have to think the watchers didn’t see an AFL player there, but we might have a very, very good one. Kids grow after all

3 Likes

Article in the Herald Sun on Sunday about each clubs best chance for the rising star award:

ESSENDON: JOSH BEGLEY

Bombers captain Dyson Heppell nominated Begley as his side’s most likely player to have a breakout season in 2018 after the forward had made an impressive finish to 2017. Problem was, Begley managed just five games last season before suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on Anzac Day. A medium-sized forward listed at 188cm and 89kg, Begley was taken at pick No.31 in the 2016 draft and is hard to stop in the air and on the ground. If he can return to fitness, the player nicknamed “Fridge” could prove a big part of the Bombers’ forward line.

TAB Rising Star odds : $34

5 Likes

When gingas get together