Training Friday 5/1/18

Or some spine issues Chris_64.

I have them but the pain is referred to left glute and hamstring. A hard knock to the spine can cause an injury that lasts for months

Thoughts?

These training reports are pure gold at this time of the year, thanks Nackers and others for making the effort. I am sure the BLITZCOIN payments you receive are well earned!

Thanks for making the effort Nackers.

11 Likes

Quite so Charlie, however, I doubt they would be massaging legs and back if it was sciatic nerve pain, the origin of which is inflammation at the disk. In the lower back there are sheets of muscles that stablise the spine and attach it to the pelvis, so they are all connected. But my post was conjecture really to put a view contrary to others who seem to be saying Big Ranga is lacking in intensity.

Sitting in a Dromana boatshed sipping a morning ale, looking across the bay and listening to the cricket. Quick check of BB and bingo thereā€™s a couple of training reports - thanks both!

Iā€™m interested in Baguleyā€™s tan - howā€™s it tracking? Any unusual haircuts? Facial growth? Fresh ink? How was the coffee? Did you spot XCā€™s kid chasing butterflies? I think these reports are brilliant but could perhaps diversify somewhat.

7 Likes

Love ya work TTI

Having the enforced break affected Colyerā€™s touch badly and he reverted to old kicking woes. Heā€™s a very hard worker, and with another pre-season I would not be surprised to see him much much cleaner with fewer shanked kicks. Short memories from some on how good he can be - heā€™s someone who has won games for us before. Iā€™d still have him in the side (on the bench) ahead of Green.

12 Likes

Thanks guys! Love reading training reports & any other bits of news - footy starved on the Sunny Coast!

1 Like

Absolutely this.

Agree, It seems he hasnā€™t been afforded the same leeway as other returning players.

Which other returning players have been afforded more leeway than colyer?

The only one on par is Myers. All the others performed or were not played.

With the recruitment of smith and the progression of McGrath to midfield, Colyer will need to not just lift from last year but play almost career best.

For those saying they would prefer colyer to green, they do not play the same position. If we are talking forward pocket I would much rather green.

6 Likes

Heppell played a couple of great games but he wasnā€™t at his best for the entirety of the season, he said himself that the year off had taken its toll at times, infact many of the players commented on how the pace of the game had increased.

At the end of the day Iā€™m just backing Colyer in to be best 22 and now that heā€™s got last year under his belt i expect that he will get his confidence and touch back and return to the explosive player we know he can be.

Just on Green, Iā€™m suprised that some have named him in their best 22, if he can return from that foot injury and work his way into the team via the vfl it will be an absolute miracle.

why? wasnā€™t it a different foot injury to previously?
wasnā€™t he running again by the time pre-season started? Which would mean heā€™s in line for a far better pre-season than the last one and therefore could be much better than last season.

If thats true thats great news, is he in your best 22 ?

At the moment Iā€™d say yes, but the best 22 I picked a week or so back, I said I was picking on exposed form, not potential, so Iā€™m hoping some of the youngsters go past him. It also depends on structure.
I personally donā€™t want Daniher, Hooker, Stewart and Stringer in the same forward line regularly. So either Stringer plays a fair bit of midfield (this is my hope), Hooker goes back or Stewart gets dropped.
So Iā€™ve got 3 spots for smaller players. Fanta and Tippa are givens.
If they plan to play Begley mostly forward then he should be ahead of Green. But if they plan to give Begley a midfield apprenticeship, imo, it would be better to be done in the 2ā€™s and then Green is a better forward option then anyone else.

@Nackers, which group did Begley train with on friday?

2 Likes

We had one training report before Christmas advising that Greenā€™s accuracy was very good. So yes. He is training, he is kicking. TBell is probably our most accurate set shot. Based on earlier stats, Green should be as good or better.

Green has less of a tank than Francis and if you going to play forward pocket only then you better be damn good, the apprenticeship isnā€™t going to happen.
Unfortunately for Green we now have better options and the modern running game doesnā€™t suit him, will be delisted at years end.

Sorry, I was meaning the midfield apprenticeship for Begley. Iā€™ve edited my post to be clearer.
I donā€™t think Green should be anyway near midfield.
If anything, weā€™ll need a dedicated small forward like him even more this year if they intend to rotate Tippa and Fanta through midfield more.

I think you are being a little harsh on Green.

I thought he had a solid first season with us and looks to have more improvement in him. I was particularly impressed with his link up play further up the ground and his work rate in the forward 50.

Heā€™s not a lock by any stretch but to suggest he is staring down the barrel of delisting is harsh.

With a strong preseason he has a lot to offer.

14 Likes

Itā€™s just an opinion KM, I would love to see him come out and kick 30gls this year but if heā€™s in the 22 I reckon that we will be missing one of Walla, Fanta or Smith and if thatā€™s the case then we are not at full strength.

2 Likes