Training Monday 10/2/14

Also I don't care what anyone says. This is the Summer of DELL. Round 1.

Great report again Jack. Saladin said in another thread that Edwards was "very impressive" and now that you have mentioned it, what was he doing that was impressive? Is it his movement in traffic, or skill level, or footy brain etc etc?

Fluent mover, pace, good disposal, tries to break the game open with his running.

I'm glad you mentioned it first, Jackie.

It seems almost blasphemous to suggest Bombers' 'everyone run together, take the first option' has a lot in common with Knights's's 'run and gun, pull the trigger' gameplan, but it's been bothering me just the same.

This is not quite what I said - today the continual sideways dish off so that you get credit for a successful disposal even if it slows the game and clogs your forward line as defenders have time to get back is a backward step when it is obvious that the coach wants fast ball movement to leading players in the corridor.  Watch how quickly Hibberd plays on when he gets the ball and you will see what is needed.

Jackie, do you think from what you have seen of edwards that he can push for regular senior selection?

Yes and early in the season too.

Thanks as always, Jackie.

Club site saying Heppell returned to training today - how did he train?

Didn't train for the full session and didn't look at full pace which suggests he is just easing back in after his injury.

the Old Man can still drill them from 50.

Also I don't care what anyone says. This is the Summer of DELL. Round 1.

This is the summer of Dell's content

Made glorious by his upgrade of sorts

the Old Man can still drill them from 50.

Some of the best have had trouble doing that at 30, let alone 38+

Sorry guys but haven't read previous comments in any detail but did meet up with JM and Saladin and suspect they've summarised it pretty thoroughly.

For me it was generally skills down in quality compared to other sessions. Seemed to be caused by a number of factors two of which immediately stood out to me - an lack of reading the wind conditions led to some poor forward entry decisions and secondly, the gameplan has been picked up by most players so they are now more adept at reading what others will do and hence being more effective at placing additional pressure on the ball carrier. This led to more turnovers and more conjested football with players starting to realise that if the opposition are able to second guess their movement strategies, they will be quicker to close down space for ballforward movement.

At one point Jobe stopped the match play and seemed, once again, to be imploring his teammates to work through these situations rahter than expecting coaches to come up with answers at the breaks in play.

Enough said for now. Now a few pics.................

for those who haven't been out, the facility looking across the MCG McCracken Oval

no, The Big guy ( Thurlow) hasn't just out-marked The Old Guy.  The Old Guy just closed down space on a loose player. Marginally too late.

Kav!  plucks a mark.

Le Trav and Le Skipper

I like really like Stants.  I've never booed him.  Neither have 99.5% of Essendon supporters.  Nor should they.

The Big Guy takes a grab on the run.

Winders deep in thought. Provides good talk during match practice.

Ashby - the endeavour is there and he is gaining in strength but I suspect is destined to start the season via the VFL.

Joe - in plenty of action but did struggle with the wind in goal shooting.

The old man still knows where the goals are when he runs forward.

Was'nt it Jobes Birthday?

It‘s his training session, and he‘ll cry if he wants to.

My thoughts after reading OP... boys on their last ■■■■ up for the year over the weekend? Come in flat, coached by assistants etc etc...

Dell lines up Buddha.

Leroy takes a grab in heavy traffic, Fletch advises Bags that he might want to keep an eye on a certain Brownlow Medallist cruising on past.  Bags, by the way, continues to be solid or better each time i've seen him.........