Training Monday 11/2/19

gee whiz - that’s the problem with some people on this site, the lack of perspective

2 Likes

Leaving my intellectually taxing drawings aside I agree completely.
Our kick out strategy has been one the weakest parts of our game for a couple of years.
Partly predictable- if it’s not Hurls then it’s Saad playing on every time to the left, which teams woke up to, or it’s a short chip without a clear next option.
Partly too it’s not enough players running selflessly- to make space for a team mate it’s not enough to just jog in the vague direction- you’ve got to run like you’re a serious target option and accept that most of that hard running is just to open up the ground for others.

2 Likes

Are you the John Ruskin / Kenneth Clarke of Blitz now?
Modern art has its own value too.

1 Like

To be honest that same play has been raised numerous times on here so I highly doubt that clubs haven’t thought of it. I’m guessing once that player takes possession there may be no one else ready to be included in the next chain. Who knows but I am 100% sure that it has been discussed at strategy meetings.

Most clubs and I hope that ours is one are using a high degree of statistical analysis to design there gameplans and maybe from that perspective you are better off kicking deep and wide and conceding a boundary that kicking into an open area where if you lose the ball it can be easily turned into a goal.

Again, I’m not really sure, but I am pretty certain there is a very good reason for it.

I posted that article further up and it has all the statistics for where all the kicks go to.

I would be interested in seeing a heat map of where each team kicks too and whether there is much difference in strategy.

for a couple of years opposition teams just didnt pick up hooker from kickins and let him recieve the kick in therefore creating a bigger problem…its the reciever of the kick that is the key to quick ball movement or playing to create a stoppage!.

1 Like

We’re RS now, Little Johnny spying on Blitz

(this is a Bomb Doe classic)

41 Likes

the chin is right as well

2 Likes

If you were forking out that much coin for photoshop and that’s the output, I’d be boxing up the computer.

1 Like

Good visual communications take account of their audience.
Are you implying Blitz is ready for more sophisticated concepts and visuals?
Personally I have my doubts.

1 Like

id like to see a power point presentation with accompanying sound track!

■■■■■■■■■

Maso Chist is censored!! WTF!

2 Likes

I think you overestimate our level of advancement in the area of game strategy. A really good example of why I don’t rate us in this area is the shepherding on the mark strategy - only recently “outlawed” by the AFL. Why didn’t we think of it? And after others (Hawthorn, I think) thought of it, how come we didn’t employ it? And after others started to employ it, how come we still couldn’t see it coming and prevent it (by shepherding the shepherder, as many teams did). More broadly, when was the last time an Essendon team applied an innovative match strategy that made you go “wow, that was brilliant.” I can’t think of anything. I could name a number of Collingwood initiatives (eg all forwards pushing way up towards the centre and then doubling back when the mid kicks to the forward line / that fancy kick-in thing they did for a while where the kicker kicked to himself then handballed over the full forward’s head to a runner … ). It feels as though we’re followers, not leaders.

5 Likes

Touche.

1 Like

or, you know… tagging…

3 Likes

I am not convinced that Essendon use statistics but I know Hawthorn were most certainly using it throughout their dominant years.

Port have also employed a statistical guy as well as other clubs I’m sure.

I pray that we are using it because every professional sport throughout the world uses it.

1 Like

Lol, people at work think i’m going mad, coffee spluttering everywhere.

There’s nothing like a good run away blitz thread with illustrations.

5 Likes

I’m a bit in between the two views.
We are pretty good at breaking from defence strategically if we can get it to a player 40 metres out, in the 45 degree cone. From there either a switch kick, (often BJ & now hopefully Francis) or an overlap handball and run (Saad, McKenna or Gleeson) has been quite effective.
It’s when the opposition shuts down that option- & Richmond/ Collingwood do it very well, we seem bereft of ideas.
Some teams seem much better at working the opposition over with running and relatively safe kicks that gain territory and that switch angles. Geelong, Sydney and Richmond spring to mind.
I’d like us to have that ability, as well as the get out of jail hoof to the boundary.

2 Likes

Well done lads. Loving the illustrations.

4 Likes

Fixed.

1 Like

The double huddle from the kick-in.

Sheeds credited it to John Barnes. I’m not sure it ever worked, but it would have appeared brilliant on the whiteboard.

2 Likes