Training report 5 August 2020

We won’t be making the 8. We will be lucky to make the 16.

4 Likes

Our season is cooked.

I’d assumed @Finding_Nino was predicting our run of lower leg injuries would continue.

2 Likes

That grass is cut super-fine.

7 Likes

There’s always the possibility of 96.
My 1st report did stop at 95.

Pumpkin scones. Might have to give them a go on the weekend.

1 Like

The rest of the report might’ve been fake news, but I didn’t lie about those scones.

6 Likes

Hope you folk down in Melbourne are ok and we managed to amuse you for 2 minutes of your 6 week (WTF do I do next) lockdown.

18 Likes

Joke because it didn’t happen?

Thanks Ewok we are all trapped indoors down here in Melbourne town, so your keen furry eyes and ears on training are a great insight! Did we do anything to suggest we are going to do anything different this Friday, other than McKenna playing forward? Did anybody lead and take a mark? Just looking for some hope that’s all…

Alright, fine, take your like.

But I was NOT the 70th

We also had two other rucks to choose from. Joe is a shoe in when he’s played 1 or 2 scratchies I reckon.

McKernan lead and should have taken a mark at one point, but it bounced off his hands. He recovered well though and had a snap at goal, but I think it went out on the full.
Is that the sort of info you were after?

11 Likes

Just some comments on the injured players… and I acknowledge the comments from @stir_fried_ewok that the players have different types of injuries and are at different stages.

But if you based it solely off today’s training and had no idea of the injury history of any of the players, I reckon the order you’d expect them back would be along the lines of the following:

(1) Daniher - he trained for the whole session and was one of the last to leave the track (with Merrett - they spent a lot of time together). It wasn’t a hard session but most players were on the track from 10.45 and there were still some on the track at 12.45, although the guts of the session was basically 11 til 12.30. If there are no further setbacks there has to be some chance he plays a couple of scratch matches before the end of the month and plays a real game in the first week of September.

(2) Heppell - he did a fair bit of running and looks very fit to me. He was doing a handball drill in a group of about 10 right at the start of the session and there was a fair bit of sideways movement in that before and after the handball. I’d be surprised if he’s still 3 weeks from joining in main training. I reckon he’ll play a scratch match before the end of the month and would also be right to go in the first week of September (I doubt he’d play more than 1 scratch match).

(3) Hooker - he did a bit of running and it looked hard work for him. I find it a bit hard to believe he’ll be ready before Heppell based on today, despite what he said to us.

(4 & 5) Fanta and Stringer - didn’t see either of them do any running. Fanta walked some laps at the start and they both spent some time on the bike. Stringer didn’t have a moon boot. You’d have to think they are behind Hooker

(6 & 7) Lav and Ambrose - both in moon boots - both spent a fair bit of time on the bike.

(8) Hird as above

(9) Johnson - he looked fine, and mixed his time between the modified group and training with the defenders at the far end I think. I suspect if he wasn’t on the LTI (or whatever he is) he would be playing scratch matches

48 Likes

I heard Dan Jordan farkin telling the farkin forwards about farkin pressure. I don’t think we were too happy with how easily the ball came out of lion’s defence. This is a planned difference.

Sam Draper did a bit of goalkicking so I think we’ll see smack & sam sharing ruck and key forward. McKenna, Langford and McKernan will change the forward dynamic a bit.

29 Likes

I knew you were joking. No way we could achieve that.

I forgot to mention one piece of bad news as I’ve been trying to help cheer you southerners up.
It was quite hot and sunny up here on the GC today but there was very little evidence of slip, slop, slap.
I noticed 4 or 5 players wearing hats, and all the coaches except Cara wore hats.
So I think on the sunburnometer and UV meter there was a bit of negative activity.

Not many tops left on near the end. If @Koala was here she would’ve been distracted momentarily from writing up her report.

16 Likes

I may have seen photo evidence of this lack of clothing, and yes, was indeed momentarily distracted!

6 Likes

Haha good stuff from Aboods and Ewok! This is exactly the kind of detail we need from you Northern Scouts. Interesting to hear how well Heppell and Daniher were going, hopefully soon. Hooker still sounds on one leg. Did Drapes do anything of note?

1 Like

Cracking day 26c hope weve got plenty of sunscreen for Sept & Oct.

1 Like