Training report Friday Jan 18

Yeah confidence is the key Laverde needs to be encouraged to take it on. Was genuinely explosive in his underage year. Appears to almost second guess himself at times with us. Has the traits of a De Goey if he can pull it together. Ridley potentially the same. Appears a nice player which doesn’t work down back at the next level up, that’s not saying he’s soft but I don’t see the level of desperation as a Zerk at VFL. Think it’s confidence, intensity and maybe having the body to do it. Important to play a hybrid role down back. Always concerned that we don’t have anyone to go with a Toby Greene, Dusty, Caddy, De Goey type.

From your photos a few observations… McKenna looks massive through the core. Zerk a bit bigger, does he play this year? And Mckernan looks in good nick. What are you seeing about Smack that’s better this time round?

Here are some pics from Fridays session:

McKenna, Redman and Fanta, getting in a good solid workout

The pace was obviously too much for Redman

And Mckenna a clear winner showing Fanta a clean pair of heals

Mo22ie being helped off after a heavy knock

Hurley and Tippa enjoying a lighter moment

Zerk on Stewart, I thought Zerk did quite well

Lavender on Smack

Team 1

Team 2 - I didn’t pick up on any significance on how the teams were picked

One of the weirder things I’ve seen - a trainer drove this car to the edge of the boundary and I kid you not, Stringer left the field jumped in the car and drove off, not in a particular hurry.

Daniher getting in some of his first real solid body work of the pre season

16 Likes

If Hooker were to have some complications with his hammy and couldn’t start the season I would have no hesitation in throwing Zerk in the deep end.

He looks a real prospect.

2 Likes

Nice one KM, there have been Blitzers ‘zerking off’ over his potential… Is he big enough though to hold down a key position though?

2 Likes

I personally think he’s a good size but will obviously need to work on core strength.

Hurley gets outbodied at times but is still a class defender.

Zerk has desperation and that will keep him in a lot of contests.

2 Likes

You must have been reading my mind, I was thinking of Laverde last night and De Goey was the comparison I was thinking of as well except I think Laverde will have a much better leap.

Apparently he is in a much better head space then previously and has matured as a person and is feeling more confident in his place in the team, having a good pre season has obviously helped that as well.

Yes I think that’s a good observation regarding Ridley, maybe just a little bit too ‘nice’ but he is also such a smooth mover and clean handler of the ball he never really seems too rushed. He certainly shows intensity when in tight but maybe not quite to the same level as Zerk. He is probably the sort of player that will perform better at a higher level when forced to lift his intensity.

A bit of a left field thought I had about that mid size opposition forward is it’s a role that Laverde could also be perfectly suited to if they tried him back. He has the size, speed, strength and athleticism to match most of those mid size types.

I really like Zerk, his body has filled out a lot more and he is showing a lot more strength in one on one contests as well as the ability to read the play and come in from the front or side. I would think he will at least get a taste of senior footy this year and maybe even a more extended run if we get a few injuries.

Yes McKenna is looking a really solid unit now, I expect to see more improvement from him again this year.

I think the biggest thing about Smack is he just exudes confidence and self belief that was previously a bit lacking, when he was always trying to do a bit too much. He just seems to have a bit of swagger about him now, not to Carey or Brereton levels but a deep down belief that he is really up to it and it shows in nearly everything he is doing now. He just seems like he’s going to have an impact every time he goes near the ball

6 Likes

McKenna ate all the potatoes and clearly had an issue with the Gillette ad. Can’t remember the last time I saw an AFL footballer with big old hairy legs.

1 Like

I reckon ridley is very much suited to a wing. good running capacity, leap and excellent disposal, would be great to add another link between our defence midfield and offence.

1 Like

Great minds think alike re De goey comparison!

Sticking Laverde behind the ball is a potential option, and you’d love to be able to swing him back there from a team balance/versatility perspective. Despite his natural athletic traits my concern is his decision making, defensive capability, and distribution under pressure. I’ve often felt as though he is very much an athlete first/footballer second. Which means that he could go with most players in speed agility and strength but potentially get burnt through a lack of defensive craft, and awareness in possession. Re his kicking for mine he lacks variation (tendency just to smash it long), and can be a bit slow getting it to boot.

Agree with Ridley, the next level may be the test he needs. Think his body just needs to develop as well.

The year of Smack potentially! Who’d have thought?! Showed such great signs last year. Would love him to develop a Carey like strut and arrogance it’s exactly what we need!

2 Likes

you 2 do know lav and degoey were compared as similar types since junior days right?

1 Like

Love to see Lav used off half back.

1 Like

No I wasn’t aware of that but I suppose it makes sense

In the VFL, Because of his elite disposal by foot Ridley tended to be used on the outside in the “BJ” +1 role. So we don’t tend to see him so often in the contested roles that Zerk is noted for. As Ridley builds his body and trains for it more we should see him playing more defensive roles in the near future, which is all to the good. I think he would be great on a wing. It will be interesting to see his progress this year.

3 Likes

Heppell with the withering “well, that was a good idea, wasn’t it?” look.

1 Like

Against some. Right now the elite elite leading forward might catch him off guard, and someone who continuously engages him in wrestling might do damage.

Otherwise, B. Zerk will cut your access off big-time. Against him and Francis and Hurley, the opposition midfielders would be scared to leave their man because it’s coming back.

(Also, based on his limited VFL game time as a forward, that’s a legit option too.)

2 Likes

Round 1 opponent is probably as hard a duo for Zerk to combat. Patton just to big for him at this stage and Cameron’s nous and speed on the lead would get the better of him.

If Hooker missed it’s not Zerk first in line anyway for the big boys. Ambrose and Hartley would be well ahead.

2 Likes

I can’t see Laverde being that good in defence. Similar to Zaka in that attack comes before defence.
Ridley is a smooth mover but has done his fare share of heroic acts. He reminds me of a modern McLeod type. Glides off half back composed in second gear ready to burn opponents if they go for the tackle. Plus he has the size to impact in the air.
Redman is the perfect player for them half forwards. He is one of the most competitive players we have and would be licking his lips to go head to head with the Martin, Green, DeGoey types. Gleeson would be next in line. Unfortunately both are injured.
I’d put Ambrose or Guelfi down back to cover any mid that goes forward.

1 Like

I agree. If Hurley or hooker don’t play Ambrose or Hartley come in.
The only way I see Zerk playing is if it’s next to Hooker and Hurley.

Is that Winder in the foreground?

1 Like