Training report Friday Jan 18

Poor Jackson. What are we going to do without him ?! :tired_face:

3 Likes

Thanks.
Profuse and professional use of Boldfacefor player names.
MERRETT should have been all caps and bolded though.

Perhaps this is the start of what teams will do that donā€™t want to be willing participants of AFLX?

2 Likes

Stringerā€™s running has always looked horrible but thatā€™s disappointing to hear his fitness is still an issue.

2 Likes

If he plays at some level what position would Tom Hird most likely line up in? HBF, SmDef?

Relax guys, itā€™s fine.

Nobody has described it as a slight knock to the ankle yet, only then will I for one start worrying, and all out panic should set in.

1 Like

He may have missed the boat, regardless. Itā€™s tough enough for an undersized kid to make it in the league, let alone at 18 already, and having spent a number of years out of the sport - for certain reasonsā€¦

I was thinking heā€™d play TAC or School footy

Thanks for the report Begbie, here is what I noticed from today:

It was a long session from 10am until 12.45

Modfied group of Daniher, Begley, Gleeson, Hooker and Laverde. Hooker left after about an hour the others continued for the full length of the session which is a first with some high intensity training. At one point they were doing a drill where they had to run the length of the ground at a first pace and then do bumping and tackling before kicking the ball to a leading player on the opposite wing. This is really the first instance where Joe Begley and Gleeson have had significant contact and direction changes at pace this pre season so looked a significant step up for all three in their rehabilitation.

I talked to Jackie Mihocek about his comments re Joe, and he though on Friday his posture, movements and bending seemed very strained, but we all agreed today was by far his best session and is quite possibly still on track for the start of the season.

Redman, McKenna and Fantasia just going on a slow walk on the running track around the ground but didnā€™t join in anything else - very weird.

Heppell, Mutch and Saad didnā€™t train although I saw Heppell in the hanger.

Finally some news about McKenna - Dan Richardson come over and introduced himself to me and Jackie, he seems like a really nice guy but I think he though we were spies from other clubs. I took the opportunity to ask about McKenna. He said he has some residual soreness above his pelvis that he was carrying at the end of last season, they are just managing it at the moment but he should be fine for the start of the season.

There were 2 AFL umpires in attendance again officiating the match sim as well as marking drills.

Regarding Zerrett - It was during mach simulation out on a wing, the was in a contest with Langford and after the ball had moved on we noticed Zerrett on the ground in pain holding his leg. He was then taken off the track in a golf cart.

Later on by the boundary Ambrose asked Harvey how he was and touched his ankle and gave a grimace to suggest it wasnā€™t good, thatā€™s a much as I know.

Mossie looked really good today in the match simulation, positioned himself really well, was quick and had great hands on a couple of occasions. They were doing the 5 on 2 keeping off drill at the far end of the ground and he was the best I have seen of anyone defensively putting on tremendous pressure. Unfortunately during this drill he copped a heavy knock and was taken off the ground in the golf cart about 10 minutes after Zerrett went down. He was later walking around inside the hanger so I presume he will be OK.

I spent a bit of time focusing on Jok again in the match simulation, and I tough he was very impressive with very clean hands on a number of occasions even though the conditions were very greasy. There were occasion though where he didnā€™t seem to run to the best spot and wasnā€™t sure whether to run off or help defend, Iā€™m sure they will be putting a lot of work into that.

Shiel is just all class with everything he does, he will be a great pickup as we all hope and expect.

Smack continues to improve, as does Guelfi.

Smith was a welcome addition and completed nearly all the session along with some extra running drills, Iā€™m sure he will be fine.

Iā€™m not Longā€™s biggest fan but he was looking very good on occasions as well, he seems to have a much better body shape with better acceleration and composure.

Draper was one who I thought struggled a bit with the wet conditions, he didnā€™t handle or kick the ball very well.

Of the newer guys Ham is exceptionally clean by hand and foot but still someway off the size needed to play AFL. I didnā€™t notice Gown get involved much except for a huge hanger over Hurley that he just failed to hang onto.

60 Likes

Why is there a general lack of panic re: zerrett?

Did Lavender do anything/was he there?

4 Likes

Desensitisation.

3 Likes

Absolutely I did! Haha.

This guy has been pretty spot on with his injury reports in the past. So I trust the news. But thatā€™s just because Iā€™ve seen the track record previously.

Same poster just with updated info!

1 Like

Clearly just doing some emergency preparedness drills with the golf cart today.

Itā€™s good to run simulations and make sure everything is okey dokey.

11 Likes

If Michael Niklos says itā€™s fine then itā€™s fine

11 Likes

Yes he completed the full session. He did OK, one time he ran too close to the man on the mark and had his kick smothered. He looks fine most time when he gets or is near the ball, I think his main problem is knowing where and when to run

8 Likes

Great reports deckham and nackers :clap:

3 Likes

Club injury report from yesterday regarding Begleyā€¦

ā€œJosh is 37 weeks now after his injury. Heā€™s tracking really well. He had Cybex testing this week, where we measure the strength of both legs. On most things, his legs are equal, which is a really good sign and a good indication that we can keep progressing,ā€ Crow said.

ā€œWeā€™re just looking to take it steady with him over the next month, doing most of his work on the rehab oval until the point where he can integrate into some drills

Today from Deckham

Difficult to tell whatā€™s going on thereā€¦ but Iā€™m putting the kid back in round 1 calculations.

3 Likes