Training Thursday Feb 13th - in Bendigo

I would include goals and behinds also as that’s what separates the great players:

People keep alluding to shiels kicking. let me put this into perspective. (AVERAGES)
Shiel disposal efficiency - 66.7% Effective Disposals - 17.4 Clangers - 3.5 Disposals - 26.1 G+B 9-15
Dangerfield disposal eff - 67.2% Effective Disposals - 18.2 Clangers - 4.7 Disposals - 27.1 G+B 27-18
Fyfe Disposal efficiency - 70.8% Effective Disposals - 20.7 Clangers - 4.2 Disposals - 29.1 G+B 16-13
D. Martin disposal eff - 66.3% Effective Disposals -17.3 Clangers - 4.9 Disposals - 26.1 G+B 32-15
Bontempelli disposal eff - 68.9% Eff Disposals - 18.2 Clangers - 4.0 Disposals - 26.4 G+B 15-27

2 Likes

kicking efficiency is the biggest, most bullshit stat ever. Dylan Clarke has a higher kicking efficiency than scott pendlebury. STATS DONT LIE

6 Likes

as a predominelty left sided kicker it was hard to use my right foot…ask M lloyd if he ever kicked a right footed goal!

As a very ordinary footballer, my dad taught me to kick with either foot when I was playing Under 11. My non preferred was about equal to my natural. It takes only practice to become about 80-90% as good with your non preferred. Think Dunnybrush Denham, or that little turd Mitchell, and a host of others. But it has become unfashionable for some strange reason.

3 Likes

because its also based off the amount of games you play.
if redman only played one game last year and it was the kangas game where he went at almost (maybe it was) 100% and didn’t play again then his average would be what he got.

cant remember how many games Clarke played but I can guarantee pendles played much much more?

I disagree, because the above players I have play forward to rest a fair bit. shiel doesnt

1 Like

I don’t care what those stats say and I’m not going to read them.

Dylan lets himself down with his kicking and there were many times last year when brilliant work by him mounted to nothing because of a ■■■■ kick.

4 Likes

Where they play is irrelevant when you have as many shots as these mids have. Goal accuracy is probably the biggest determining factor in the game. What those figures don’t include are the shots that don’t make the distance or miss everything. Shiel and Merrett would have many. In my opinion they cost us games and their b&f results flattered them.

Geelong and Collingwood played each other in a practice match today apparently.

Kicking efficiency stat is very misleading. I argue often that a Mutch or Clarke have a bad habit(historically) of kicking sideways to a safe option which reads as efficient however what it did in reality is stop the flow of the footy and the oppositions defence can get back in time to cover the next kick…so it’s the opposite of efficient on a team perspective. I always backed up McKenna and Goddard when they got complaints as there intention was to put the ball in an aggressive position to help the team counter defensive walls and provide space for forwards up the field. Yeh the mis-kick at times was very obvious to all watching but the intent was spot on.

19 Likes

more than apparent

https://mobile.twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1228068830951464970

Wow, and we’ve only really played one full scale practice match

1 Like

So you may or may not be happy with this quote from Pops Kelly today about your man Langford

People tend to forget about Shaun McKernan, who is down there as well,” he said.

“He has been brilliant all pre-season and he was really good last year when Joey wasn’t around.

“With him, Jake Stringer, Jayden Laverde and Kyle Langford we feel like we’ve got enough aerial power down there, which is the case I present about having ‘Hooksy’ still being in the backline.”

Langford as a forward. According to the backline coach.

4 Likes

The coaches have obviously been reading Blitz and are now willing to implement our brilliant strategic ideas.

Can anyone remember Langford taking a pack mark? Or even a contested man on man mark? He is a nice size, but I wouldn’t say that he provides “aerial power”.

4 Likes

Langford does have some understanding of the whole boring Dunstall thing: run out, take a mark, kick a goal.

18 Likes

I agree. He plays forward well and makes position to receive the ball. Fantasia and Tippa both lead well to the kicker, as well.
But aerial power it isn’t.
Aerial power is someone who gives you the option of kicking it long to a pack (a la Shiel in yesterday’s Bendigo highlights) and maybe taking a contested mark.

2 Likes

Langfords marking was his strength as a junior

1 Like

Isn’t that what he was last year?

Big bodied mid, occasionally resting forward, as you well know, you disingenuous Langford fan boy.

The real question is where has he been playing in simulations - none of our excellent training reporters have mentioned a move forward?

So is Pops having a brain explosion, or are there scenarios where Langford is 75% forward, with only occasional spells on ball?