Training Wednesday 10/2/16

Tippa's getting talked up a lot.

Karma and Jackie, do you think he’s a genuine chance to line up in the 1’s in round 1?

How about McKenna?

Chance yes - certainty no.

McKenna would be in my best 22 he has come on in leaps and bounds.he can make the ball do what he wants just by swearing at it.

A lot depends on the ratio of mature top ups to youngsters and there is no indication of the selectors’ thinking in this area yet.

Tippa’s getting talked up a lot.

Karma and Jackie, do you think he’s a genuine chance to line up in the 1’s in round 1?

How about McKenna?

Thanks Jackie, amazing report once again.

Jay Clark just tweeted: He’s a bit of a forgotten man, but Zach Merrett has brought his own footy to @EssendonFC training today. The bloke is all class.

Are you able to elaborate any more? We all know how much of a star he is and is going to be, but can’t get enough of it!

Excellent again today. Spent some one on one time with Joe late in the session. I would compare him to Jack Clarke but most blitzes wouldn’t have seen him play. His nickname “the architect” related to both his football and his occupation.

Ah, Jack Clarke, just about my all time favourite player. I don’t quite see the similarity myself though, great player as Zach is going to be. I don’t see the clever little one percenter gives that Clarke was a master at, nor the ability to dodge and weave in the middle of a pack with no opponent able to lay and finger on him, until he had found the optimal disposal opportunity. He is just about as good though at always being the one in possession of the ball when a “stacks on the mill” clears.

Speaking of that era, do you notice any similarity between The Langford and Hugh Mitchell?

Zac is only in his early career so I am anticipating him developing further. He is similar in build to Clarke and has very neat disposal, good vision and is a “natural” footballer. The difference between Michell “the Phantom” and Langford at this stage is that they both have the ability to find space and make position but Mitchell got the ball a lot and kicked goals as well unlike Langford at present.

Mitchell was also a very poised, unflappable footballer who always seemed to have loads of time. I see that in Langford too. Obviously he is just starting his career and has a long way to go but I am sure Mitchell didn’t get 20+ possessions a game in his first season either.

Jackie, do you think Tippa is really AFL standard fit? As I understand it he's had fitness problems, including problems meeting skinfold requirements, in previous years. Is he really ripped this year?

And en masse is 100% correct.

Good I failed french at uni.

I don’t know about his skinfolds but his fitness seems ok in comparison to many of the players of his vintage and is better than Edwards in particular. In the close in handball drills today he showed a startling turn of speed over 5 - 10 metres. His fitness will only improve with full time training. Ambrose is one of the fittest but still not getting a lot of the ball so I guess it depends how you want to look at it.

Sounds good about Tippa. He’s obviously built very solid apart from his legs, but it’s hard to tell from the pictures whether there’s a bit of padding there as well. Before Christmas there definitely was, but more recently I haven’t seen it.

And it’s a worry that Ambrose doesn’t get much of the ball even at training. He’s got everything a footballer could want, physically, but that really doesn’t count if he doesn’t get the ball.

I believe Tippa has noticeably trimmed down in the upper body since being involved with senior training. It does not appear to have reduced his tackling strength but if anything, has sharpened his turn of pace and given him that fraction extra time for decision making when he’s got the ball.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
“You wanna have a look at my skinfolds bro’ ?”

Sometimes acceleration is all you need to do serious damage. Watching the 2004 WCE game last week it had Rioli absolutely burn off guys a couple times, enough to get free and deliver.

http://i.imgur.com/Min3G1c.gif

I still don’t know quite how he managed to sell that dummy.

Sometimes acceleration is all you need to do serious damage. Watching the 2004 WCE game last week it had Rioli absolutely burn off guys a couple times, enough to get free and deliver.

I can confirm that the fire was started from an AFL employee who was desperately trying to destroy Tania Hird's notes.

Thanks goodness for that. I thought someone may have found Dank’s notes…

GET ON IT TIPPA!

Jackie, do you think Tippa is really AFL standard fit? As I understand it he's had fitness problems, including problems meeting skinfold requirements, in previous years. Is he really ripped this year?

I don’t know about his skinfolds but his fitness seems ok in comparison to many of the players of his vintage and is better than Edwards in particular. In the close in handball drills today he showed a startling turn of speed over 5 - 10 metres. His fitness will only improve with full time training. Ambrose is one of the fittest but still not getting a lot of the ball so I guess it depends how you want to look at it.

Sounds good about Tippa. He’s obviously built very solid apart from his legs, but it’s hard to tell from the pictures whether there’s a bit of padding there as well. Before Christmas there definitely was, but more recently I haven’t seen it.

And it’s a worry that Ambrose doesn’t get much of the ball even at training. He’s got everything a footballer could want, physically, but that really doesn’t count if he doesn’t get the ball.

Just before xmas he actually won a lactic running drill when we had our full list, it’s kind of like a repeate middle distance run where the idea is you stop when your lactic acid is at its highest and then run again to clear it. It’s huge because it shows his fitness base is now very solid

Is there any chance he’ll end up as a midfielder if his fitness gets to a good enough level? Sounds like he’d be very handy as an inside mid based on some of the drills described

There is every chance, he could probably run through in bursts now.

Just before xmas he actually won a lactic running drill when we had our full list, it’s kind of like a repeate middle distance run where the idea is you stop when your lactic acid is at its highest and then run again to clear it. It’s huge because it shows his fitness base is now very solid

Is there any chance he’ll end up as a midfielder if his fitness gets to a good enough level? Sounds like he’d be very handy as an inside mid based on some of the drills described

Good to see Baggers and Paddy enjoying a beer st the globe tonight!

Funnily enough im also wearing my members hat

Jay Clark just tweeted: He’s a bit of a forgotten man, but Zach Merrett has brought his own footy to @EssendonFC training today. The bloke is all class.

Are you able to elaborate any more? We all know how much of a star he is and is going to be, but can’t get enough of it!

Excellent again today. Spent some one on one time with Joe late in the session. I would compare him to Jack Clarke but most blitzes wouldn’t have seen him play. His nickname “the architect” related to both his football and his occupation.

Ah, Jack Clarke, just about my all time favourite player. I don’t quite see the similarity myself though, great player as Zach is going to be. I don’t see the clever little one percenter gives that Clarke was a master at, nor the ability to dodge and weave in the middle of a pack with no opponent able to lay and finger on him, until he had found the optimal disposal opportunity. He is just about as good though at always being the one in possession of the ball when a “stacks on the mill” clears.

Speaking of that era, do you notice any similarity between The Langford and Hugh Mitchell?

Zac is only in his early career so I am anticipating him developing further. He is similar in build to Clarke and has very neat disposal, good vision and is a “natural” footballer. The difference between Michell “the Phantom” and Langford at this stage is that they both have the ability to find space and make position but Mitchell got the ball a lot and kicked goals as well unlike Langford at present.

Great report Jackie, really look forward. Ah yes Jack Clarke. With the economical legs, knew just where to run to with ultimate ease,never wasted an opportunity and no wasted energy.

The Mitchell one would be a big call at this stage. He’d need to be getting about 25 possessions a game to merit that comparison.

"fookin sit up ya gammy ball"

“Feckin eejit of a ball!”

Yes, as he is Oirish it would be feckin, if he was a Scot it would be fookin.

Well played HMG.

I owe it all to watching episodes of Father Ted

"fookin sit up ya gammy ball"

“Feckin eejit of a ball!”

Yes, as he is Oirish it would be feckin, if he was a Scot it would be fookin.

Well played HMG.