Travel Thread

Thanks Bacchusfox

I’ll track down the name of the restaurant and let you know. It was really good to be the only non local dining. Here’s a little taste.

Edit - this is the restaurant - https://www.tripadvisor.com/MobileQueryBBox-g608528-d4209824-Hoa_Hoa_Restaurant-Quy_Nhon_Binh_Dinh_Province.html

1 Like

A couple of days in Phuket now. Have a nice little quiet place in Karon Beach where we stay. Pool bar has cocktails and spirits for $8 but 2 for 1’s between 4-6 so needless to say we had to sample a few

Thanks mate.
Look’s right up my alley. If I make it there, will report back.

1 Like

Look forward to hearing how you find it. I managed to ate something there I hadn’t had before - jellyfish. Very interesting. Not much taste and but a very different texture to anything I had tried before given it was smooth on the outside with a crunchy middle.

QANTAS lounge in Heathrow term 3 is very nice. Gets crowded however. Not big enough for their membership.

And that is a problem with Qantas lounges the world over. It’s better than being out in the cold with the hoi polloi, but not much

Thanks for the info!

How about Noosa? Should we expect the same weather around late December/early Jan? I have seen that it’s currently getting smashed in the weather now!

SEQ usually cops it too, but it’s generally not as hot and humid as up this way.

1 Like

Yeah, Qantas lounges have become way too crowded. Singapore even turns some passengers away at times. Cathay First lounge at Heathrow T3 is your best lounge by a mile if you are QF Platinum.

Phuket has been a blast as usual but we have been coming here every year for nearly 20 years and the Russian invasion is getting worse by the year.

The new first lounge is LA is very nice as well. And if you walk over to the business lounge, the often have taco and hot dog carts set up too.

Just arrived in Orlando. 11pm and 25 degrees - very nice!

2 Likes

I was there about 30 years ago so it was post revolution and during the time when they were at war with Iraq.

It was part of an overland tour…Kathmandu to London so we came in from Pakistan and left into Turkey.

Wonderful people…the majority that I met genuinely liked tourists visiting their country.

Spent several days in Isfahan…a truly beautiful city with wonderful buildings and a traditional bazaar. Tehran was just like any other big city (we didn’t spend a lot of time there). Shiraz was quite nice and is quite close to Persepolis which is worth a visit.

4 Likes

Theme parks, pools, booze and knowing we’ve landed Shiel. Does life get much better?!

7 Likes

When travelling I usually pick up a prepaid local SIM with a couple of GB of data, This allows me to use my phone as a hot spot and make the occasional call if needed. But I see people recommend getting pocket wifi when in Japan - how is this better?

@mrjez @JohnRain @tinhillterror

1 Like

Sorry, I’m not knowledgeable on this stuff. I’ll let the others answer, as I’m interested to know for future recommending.

It’s cheaper if you have multiple people/devices together?

For me for five days on my own in 2016 the sim (in this case, pre-purchased and delivered before leaving) was a much better option.

Do you recall which Telco you got the SIM from?

My accommodation had pocket wifi included, it was very convenient.

It was something closely resembling this:

Not carrying around an extra electronic device is easier. Setup was simple.