Travel Thread

I hope the experiences shared by BF and myself do not detract from the fact that Japan is a wonderfully safe country to visit. Truly - one of the safest (minus natural disasters) places to visit on Earth. Small kids still walk home unattended (although I haven’t made that leap with my son just yet). But, it would be remiss of me to ignore BF’s questions, following his friend’s terrible experience here (which I have also experienced as a permanent resident - not as a tourist). Such travel advice is gold in this thread, especially given the number of Aussies who frequent Japan. 99.99% it won’t happen, however, if you end up drunk in Roppongi, Shinjuku, Shibuya, etc and are approached by African street touts (or cute lasses) - please ignore them. Cheers.

2 Likes

As mentioned, I’m heading to Japan in March. Is this kind of thing limited to nightclub areas, or are tourists targeted more generally? I’ll be with my 7yo and his mum, so don’t expect to be out late by myself (with possible ltd exception), but…

Limited to dodgy bars/nightclub areas & individuals (both tourists and native Japanese on their own). Will never happen if you are with someone. Hope we are still good to go for that drink. I will take care of you, dude. :wink:

Thanks for your response JohnRain.

I was pretty rough on my Mate today when he told me his story. Guess I will give him a bit more sympathy tomorrow. I googled after your post, and there sure gave been lots of victims. Any deaths ?

I have been to all of the seediest spots around the World, but I never did them alone, never leave a drink unattended and generally have a good nose for trouble and staying out of it.

During my visits to Tokyo, I have been very drunk, along with most of the group, and always wondered how Japanese survived with all they drink. Do these attacks ever happen to Japanese or it is only Whate Guys ?

I will be in San Francisco for maybe the next three months, and AusTrade have given me a list of where not to go.

Definitely!

1 Like

Pleasure.

Try not to be such a hard ar*e, BF. Yeah, he was prolly off his dial, but that doesn’t mean he deserved to be robbed.

Yes. I am too tired to add a link, but I recall a famous incident involving a group of international bankers/ businesspersons who died following a spiking/poisoning incident back in the day.

Yes, they happen to local Japanese, as well as foreigners. The latter report them, though, whereas the former do so on a lesser scale.

In SF I followed my nose, which admittedly has sometimes been ill-advised, to a bar called ‘Bottom of the hill’, good small live music venue. Met a girl there who showed me one of the best weeks of my life. May not be your cup of tea. There was also a good (somewhat more upmarket) underground blues bar near my hotel around Union Square back then (2010).

Tokyo is the big melting pot, in Osaka it’s easier to know your place and keep your nose out of business it shouldn’t be in (or go looking for trouble, ahem Brian Lake ahem) and no one seems to be conning tourists afaik. I’ve never heard of this drink spiking stuff here personally.

2 Likes

Watched the SBS slow TV show on the Indian Pacific. Looked amazing. Anyone done the trip?

1 Like

Took it from Adelaide to Perth in 2001 when l was a younger man, as l was travelling around Australia and thought it would be interesting. Not in a cabin but sitting upright for 20 odd hours. Horrible trip. Not much to see for most of the trip either. Might be better in a cabin but way expensive, unlike the first class sleeper l took from bkk to chang mai a few years later that was an enjoyable experience and way cheaper.

2 Likes

Starting to make bookings for my European holiday in June. Trip include:

• Fly into Rome and stay for 3 days (have been to Rome many times, so really just an intro for the kids)
  • Fly to Malta to see the relatives
  • Fly to Naples and set up base for 4 days to roam the Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
  • Train to Florence - set up for 4 days there. Kids are keen to visit Pisa.
  • Train to Lyon for 2 days. MrHeff and I love this city.
  • Train to Paris. Will probably need to go to Euro Disney for the kids.
  • Train to Bern to set up a base for a train trip on the Jungfraujoch to the highest- peak in Europe.
  • Train to Venice for 2 days.
  • Train to Rome and back to Canberra.

Hopefully not too much for a 5 and 7 year old.

8 Likes

Any specific reason for Bern? I lived in Switzerland for a few years and would recommend checking out Thun if you are making an assault on Jungfrau. Beautiful and very underrated place.

I thought Bern would be easiest to get to from Paris and close enough for the jungfrau?

Bern is nice and central (when coming from Paris), but it can make the Jungfraujoch day, a really big one. @Aceman is the guru on trains in CH, he would know the links better.

Getting as far as Thun or Interlaken, gives you options if the weather is bad and Jungfraujoch isn’t going to be fun. It’s a lot of time and cash, to be clouded over.

I used to lead tours from a place called Kandersteg and it is about an hour south of Bern (fast train). We would leave by 7am and get to the top just before lunchtime. Then leave and be back just on dinner. I think it was about 4 hours each way. I reckon, Bern would be similar.

1 Like

Thanks @Hoffy. I definitely need to look more into it.

@Hoffy is spot on. Bern to Jungfraujoch is about 3hrs by train and involves atleast 2 stops which can make it a long and tiring day trip. Interlaken is about an hour closer and is a very nice place but for me I much prefer Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. Both are stunning little towns and if the weather isn’t great up at the Jungfraujoch there is plenty of other cablecars and stunning viewing areas all around you. Probably my favourite area in the world and there really isn’t a bad place to stay. With the trains and their connections just be aware that some connections are very tight and require changing platforms which can be a hassle with luggage and kids in tow. I try to make sure to allow myself atleast 10 minutes if possible but don’t worry they are very frequent. Definitely consider a rail pass if you plan on getting out and about.
As for Euro Disneyland it’s over priced and packed most of the year. At that time of the year it’s likely to be 30 degrees plus with not a great deal of shade and people crammed in like sardines. Most rides you would need to line up for 2-3 hours.
This was the view from our room in Wengen in summer last year

9 Likes

Thanks for the info!

Both Thun and Interlaken are fabulous. Heaven on earth! Both well worth a visit.
Interlaken was our base in that region of CH. Loved it.

BLITZ. Travel thread is delivering.

For all European train info, check out The Man in Seat 61.

3 Likes