Travel Thread

Many thanks Aceman and all those who offered thoughts. Lots to plan now, very useful indeed.

Also the Pitt Rivers museum is worth a visit. It features the collection of an eccentric 19th C eccentric. It is unlike any other museum I have seen

1 Like

If you have the time, go to Stratford Upon Avon (mentioned by @Alan_Noonan_10) (about 80 kilometres away). Itā€™s a gorgeous place, easy to get around by foot, lots of eateries, Royal Shakespeare Theater and many other places to see re Shakespeare.

The River Avon, has colourful barges, lots of nice gardens around etc. The hop on hop off bus tour is really good.

@Aceman mentions Upper and Lower Slaughters. I only got to Lower Slaughter as they had a market on and ended up spending the whole day there. Beautiful spot.

1 Like

Is it 80kms? Iā€™d have thought about 50.

@Alan_Noonan_10, itā€™s about 80kms and think 50 maybe in miles.

Edit: Just googled itā€™s 86kms or 53 miles from Oxford to Stratford Upon Avon.

Thanks everyone, looks like we will be spoilt for choice

Yes the Pitt Rivers museum is part of the University Museum. Absolutely agree itā€™s a must and unlike anything Iā€™ve seen before

Iā€™m not familiar with this museum.

You donā€™t know what you are missing. Absolutely amazing. Think it has grown to over half a million pieces now and the highlight for me was the bizarre shrunken heads

Correct. I donā€™t know.

Not sure where Iā€™ll be going next winter, but if itā€™s Europe, might have to add the UK in. Post-Brexit might be an issue.

Itā€™s a remarkable story. Pitt-Rivers (not his original name but taken on via marriage) unexpectedly inherited a fortune so started spending it on his interests. These included history - he started digging up historic sites on his properties, then realised this had to be done systematically. This was the foundation of archeology. The museum contains the artefacts he found as well as those he bought from collectors all around the world.

It is really overwhelming - the museum is literally packed with exhibits. There is just too much to see and take in on one visit.

Just arrived in Sydney and will head down to my parents for a few days and hopefully get a day or two in at Persisher. Only a short visit as they are back off to China again next week for a month

Paid for the flights today to and from LA for next Marchā€™s Panama cruise.

Now have to organise 2 days in LA (too old for Disneyland and Hollywood holds no attractions) so will probably do a bit of Bosch downtown exploration and Mariachi Plaza, and out to Santa Monica/Venice.

Had to rearrange the flight from Miami to LA because the original had a 2-hour connection window - bit tight considering you probably have to change terminals and go through immigration.

Were the flights on the same ticket with the same PNR?
If so you would be protected in case of an issue with a connecting flight

Just landed in moltacino, 3hr drive from Rome airport.
Beautiful town so far

Same airline reference. Iā€™m not sure what you mean. They wouldnā€™t hold up the LAX-SYD flight if the other flight was held up.

Not really an issue anyway. Weā€™ve got two and a half days in Miami.

I would always choose a longer connection time aswell but if it was unavoidable you have the safety net if itā€™s on the same PNR. If for some reason your inbound flight is held up itā€™s up to the airline to to cover the cost of putting you on the next flight or putting you up in a hotel. If you book it as two seperate flights for example and something goes wrong you will be up for any costs associated with cancellations etc. I see far too many people get stung by this unfortunately

I try for longer than two hour connentions. Iā€™m happy to spin my wheels for a few hours knowing I am there. Itā€™s not just the time to move through security/immigration once you are there, but flights seem to be more delayed these days. Just a gut feel based on those Iā€™ve been on. So even a 30-45 min delay can make it a stressful connection. Plus the time it can take to exit the plane. Especially with people taking so much luggage onboard. And people walk so slow and some have to walk together 4 across!!!

Iā€™ve had two close calls - back in the 80s - one of which we had to walk some distance on the exterior of the terminal at LAX to get a connecting flight to Melbourne via Auckland.

There was another American flight halfway between but the extra cost was ludicrous- $3,000 vs $500. The agent said he could have reduced it, but not down to the $500 because the cheaper seats via the Qantas sale had been snapped up.

Too many Seppos in Tuscany. And they are all the same types too, WASPs or Methodists.

Couple nice ones but thatā€™s about it.

1 Like