Travel Thread

I disagree with that. Much more space with the Qantas seats. I don’t know what you mean by droopy beds though. The ones that were not quite lay-flat were phased out over 10 years ago.

The Qantas 787 has a horrible business seat. The A380’s seating due to their age started to sag and droop but they are being retrofitted currently and will be a year or so before all are finished. The Qantas A330 is not a bad product especially the newer seating. Whilst QF has a touch more space than Cathay I find their seats not as good and for me sleep is the most important thing long haul. Service and quality of food is miles better on CX

Everyone is different but a comfortable seat/bed is my number 1 priority.
My top 5
1- Qatar QSuites
2- Oman Air 787
3-China Airlines A350
4-Virgin Australia A330
5-Etihad 787 and A380

It is 1-2-1 setup and it is very good

@Bacchusfox @Aceman @AD_Don and others who use Air NZ…

Whatever happened to this? I was hoping to use some QFF points on Air NZ flights, but they are nowhere to be seen.

https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/press-release-2018-qantas-and-airnz-announce-codeshare-deal

“Tickets for the codeshare services will be available by the end of July 2018, for travel from 28 October 2018.”

Any recommendations for Warsaw and Krakow?

Eat pierogis…plenty of pierogis.

We stayed in the Warsaw old town. It’s been rebuilt to pre-WW2 days.

Can’t use QF points for Air NZ flights. Can earn QF points and SC’s on certain NZ domestic routes as part of the codeshare deal but that’s about it.

What interests do you have?

Krakow has lots to see in the old town area. Also worth doing the day trip to Auschwitz (Oswciem? in Polish). Very sobering experience but memorable.

1 Like

Wawel Castle is worth a look in Krakow as is the old town, especially the main square area.
Wieliczka Salt Mine is close to town also.
Auschwitz is quite confronting but something that should be experienced (imo) by anyone who gets the chance.

1 Like

Sightseeing and food. Doing a lot of the jewish ghetto tomorrow and already planned for Auschwitz at Krakow.

I’m heading off on Friday to Paris on Vietnam Airlines, business class via Vietnam on A350s for $4573 return. I haven’t flown with them before but Airline Ratings gives them 7 stars. On the other hand the customer reviews are mixed and it seems they’re a lot better on international flights than domestic. Fingers crossed.

Not a bad price and I don’t mind their product. Service can be hit or miss but their staff are friendly and will try hard they just can sometimes muck up orders. Food and beverages are ok but entertainment is fairly poor IMO but I’ve found enough to keep me occupied. Seat and bed quite comfortable on the newer configuration but a bit average on the older configuration. They are known to often sub their aircraft at short notice so it becomes a bit of a gamble. If they sub to their 787 that’s not a bad aircraft and has the same seating as their new A350. If however they sub to the older A350 it’s a downgrade seating wise and definitely try to get a true window seat on the older configuration. Lounges can be very hit or miss and in MEL you will be sent to the Qantas lounge which is average IMO. Hopefully you have a good FF program to credit all those miles

Plenty of bars and cafes in both and Krakow is still very cheap despite the large boom in tourism. Too late for Warsaw recommendations as you would be there by now but the old city and Jewish quarter of Krakow have plenty of sight an cool eateries. Head to the top of Kosciusko for good views. Beautiful old architecture of which St Joseph’s church is one of the best. I’d highly recommend heading out to the Wieliczka Salt Mine as it will absolutely blow your mind IMO. Very easy to walk around city with sights around every corner

as others have said, be prepared that Auschwitz is a real-life horror story, and it is very confronting. I had trouble sleeping for many days after.

The first Mrs Fox was born in Oz of Polish parents and we travelled to Krakow a few times to visit relatives, before and after the Soviet bloc fell… Nice place then, but much nicer now with lots to see, but don’t getting into any drinking sessions with Poles as they have been on the hard stuff from the cradle and can sure put it away.

1 Like

Schindler’s factory is in Krakow too.

1 Like

No it hasn’t:

Well, they tried.

After the Germans left after killing most of the Polish resistance, the Russians sat across the river watching, then came in and killed the rest of the Poles. They said the population of Warsaw was less than 1,000 at war’s end. No Jews of course - the Germans cleaned them out before starting on the Poles. Warsaw Ghetto and the site of the Warsaw Uprising are worth having a look at. I think we really skirted around those sites. And the Russians wiped out as many of the Polish military as they could in Katyn Forest in 1940, then blamed the Nazis for it.

My first Father-In-Law was an officer in the Polish Cavalery and amongst those who charged the Panzers as they rolled in Poland on his horse with a sabre in one hand and a carbine in the other .

He was clever enough to change uniforms with a dead soldier as any Officers captured by the Huns were immediately shot. He spent the whole war in a German work camp and when “liberated” by the Russians in 1945 was discovered as an Officer and sent to a Siberian camp until 1949.

He escaped and got to Italy and on to a boat for Canada, except it actually went to Melbourne. He met his wife to be on the boat.

He actually hated the Soviets more than Nazis. He had thought all his family in Poland were dead, but Mrs Fox the First (his daughter) and I went to Krakow in 1975, found he had a brother alive, who led us to his Mother, who had survived as well. We bought them to Melbourne and the reunion was amazing. They stayed three months, the Brothers worked along side each other in a factory in Yarraville and the Polish one returned with a lot of cash to Poland, purchased two taxis and made a fortune running a black market taxi business. Drinking vodka with them was very dangerous.

14 Likes