Travel Thread

My cousin’s father-in-law preferred to fight with the Germans than the Russians. He was from Byelorussia (Belarus). They knew Stalin and hated him with a passion.

Thanks heaps for the recommendations. Last night we ate

And also

Enjoying warsaw so far.

And for the rebuild, they spent heaps in the 70s and 80s trying to replicate it. Personally, I reckon they did a pretty good job.

But man, things aren’t as cheap here as I thought they would be.

Things should be a bit cheaper away from Warsaw. Most of the Eastern European countries are similar with their main cities. We found Budapest more expensive than previous visits but head an hour outside the city and prices drop quite a bit

What’s with the weather down there you Melbourne jerks!
Sitting at Canberra airport and our flight back MEL has been delayed by close to 2 hours and we are now going to miss our connection back home. Hopefully some resolution soon or a free night in Canberra coming up

If they’re blaming Melbourne they’re lying. A tad grey but overall a very pleasant midwinter day.

1 Like

Adelaide is that boring even the airlines won’t go direct there from Canberra?

Radar says nothing but a few showers. Are you flying with Tiger or Jetstar?

Just logged on to works database and the Sydney fog this morning caused chaos and a stack of diversions to MEL and now MEL is under the pump trying to clear the backlog. Nearly everything to or from MEL this evening is late

Virgin. The direct CBR-ADL flight didn’t suit us time wise so we chose the earlier CBR-MEL-ADL flight. As a platinum Virgin member they have just switched us on to the direct CBR-ADL flight and found 2 business seats for us

1 Like

Fark Sydney and their typically rubbish weather.

@Diggers

1 Like

For my typically irrelevant comment, it’s been raining since noon in the south-west. Pretty much stopped now though.

Americans ruin everything. Everyone expects a ■■■■■■■ tip now

2 Likes

Sad but true, though Asia stills holds out and is mostly sensible. In fact, I was in Seoul and while they seem more American that America at times, the Hotel Shilla where I stay forbids tips and if you even try to tip it gets refused and Hotel Management sends you a note asking you to refrain.

3 Likes

Yeah, same throughout rest of Asia. Tipping in HK and Japan is considered a bribe, guessing Korea is the same based on what you said as well. Think Singapore was the same.

But in those countries, when I go to their street markets, I never haggle for a better price, just pay what they ask for. Don’t mind that, would rather give the extra there than have to tip.

I know tipping is considered a bribe in China, however, I don’t think it is here. It’s unnecessary & kinda frowned upon. More than anything, it will simply cause embarrassment to the recipient, as they will refuse to accept it.

I tipped in the US primarily because I was aware they pay wait staff a pittance, if at all, but it was done reluctantly and with the awareness I was complicit in tax avoidance and worker exploitation which has also been linked to a high incidence of sexual harassment.
I was bemused when having left a few useless coins, at least to me, on table in Beijing to find the waitress chasing us breathlessly down the street to return the filthy lucre, but was later told locals were wary of being caught participating in Western decadence and punished accordingly- not sure if that was apocryphal or not.
Hate having to tip and have never understood the idea that “special service” requires a gratuity. Personally I’m only interested in the food and couldn’t give a flying about anyone in a restaurant other than the chef. I mean what “special” skill is involved in knowing a menu, taking an order and carrying plates? It’s a BS line to rationalise a tax dodge.
It’s also one of the reasons I increasingly prefer to book accommodation with cooking facilities. Eating out on holidays is seriously overrated. Two times, maybe three a week, is OK but anything more than that is an expensive chore. Some of my fav meals have involved picking up fresh local produce and a local bottle and preparing them without worrying about tipping and getting a taxi.
Maybe it’s also because I’m a vegetarian who hates smoke.

4 Likes

First time I went to Thailand was over 40 years ago, and my first experience at haggling for a better price. I felt so proud at beating down the vendor, until it was pointed out to me by the Mrs Fox of the time that I had spent 30 minutes and heaps of energy to save 25 cents !

I never haggle now.

1 Like

In Italy I do depending where I am. If they come up to me trying to sell crap then I will (dont buy any of the fake designer stuff, just the nick naks). But if I go to them I usually just pay what they are asking. Often if you buy 2-3 items from them they will take €1-€2 off anyway.

Talking about the vendors here, not the marakini.

Just leaving warsaw now, beautiful city. Not huge, but decent enough and very pleasant. Found most poles keep to themselves, don’t annoy you to buy something.

Very few gypsys here which was good.
Even less Americans which was better.

1 Like

Hey guys and gals,

I’m heading to some eastern european cities for the first time and wondered if I could get some tips as far as good restaurants/cafes/pubs/bars/clubs in any of these places:

• Berlin
  • Munich
  • Dresden
  • Prague
  • Vienna
  • Brno
  • Bratislava
  • Budapest
  • Split
  • Hvar

Any recommendations are honestly very much appreciated. Cheers!! :slight_smile:

Firstly, if you are going to those places then add Salzburg to it

Berlin - everything good and traditional is in the East. The west is too westernized now

Vienna - don’t have actual names but feast on apple strudel and beer. They have bakeries as often as we have McDonalds, probably more.

Budapest- heading there in a week, I’ll let you know

1 Like