Travel Thread

I don’t mind as it isn’t my money. Easier to go with corp policy. Plus they like me enough to bump me up.

Ah, fair enough for a work trip.

We are staying in Residenza Ro.Ma which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the town center/historical centre. This hotel has free parking and heaps of it and a sensational breakfast, just a bit of a walk though to the main town.

Not overrun by tourists, lots of Italians come here for their summer holidays as do a few Germans and Russians but overall mostly locals life here.

Jeez, I am Platinum1 with QF but have very rarely been upgraded - not for nearly 20 years. Got more upgrades on Brutish Airways, ironically.

1 Like

Large agencies - corporate or government - can negotiate queue jumping in upgrades as part of travel contracts with airlines.
That said, I rarely got QF upgrades, more likely with airlines such as Etihad on the Australian leg.

1 Like

I only got an upgrade from tokyo back to Melbourne. Not complaining though

QF are fairly stingy with their upgrades these days. Used to get a few with them as a P1 but reckon about 3-4 years ago was my last and as I’ve slid back to Gold over the last couple of years there is no show. As a Virgin Platinum on the other hand I’ve scored 4 domestic upgrades in the last month alone and they are very generous with their shadows aswell.

Que?

Most airlines will try to offer “shadows” to their top tier status passengers. Basically a shadow seat is one that is blocked out next to you. Obviously is the aircraft is full your chances decrease but say there is 10 empty seats in Economy the airline will jostle the seating arrangements so that a high tier member has a free seat next to them. QF try to seat their elite tier in the first few rows of Economy and will often bump other passengers from those seats

2 Likes

Never been upgraded with Qantas without using points. Been upgraded three times out of the blue with Qatar, was rapted. Pity most of my travel the last five years has been to USA and Asia.

I did mostly the European long haul flights to Europe, sometimes intermediate Aisian , for work. For me, it was having a flat bed, limitinting connecting flights and stopovers, decent food and being able to press the button for water or whatever… Otherwise, getting an upgrade from business to FC was no big deal. it was more important to hit the deck running for work. But I guess it’s different if it’s a holiday and calculculating the differences in travel prices.

I just got a travel insurance quote from the agent, quoting from NIB. Told the agent to use someone else because i’m not funding that pr*ck who wants Medicare gone for his own benefit.

3 Likes

Concur. There was a period quite a few years back where I got a couple of upgrades to business at the gate (Singapore coming home). I think I’d flown a business trip recently before then. After it has been barren for a long time. Feels like they just don’t do it anymore. I got an upgrade on Emirates out if Dubai to Europe a while back and I’m not even part of their program.

As an aside, I just flew into Dallas and the Admiral Flagship lounge is a big step up from their Admiral Club offerings. Good range of free meals and a very decent free bar. Plenty of nice seating.

And not sure about passengers taking dogs on a plane. 3 hr flight - what’s the chance they need to take a ■■■■ or ■■■■?

Your typical dog can go about three times that long without needing to go, no problem at all.

We had one behind us from Rio to New York - a lap dog so presumably small deposits.

Does the airline serve doggie meals?

I thought dogs/llamas etc on planes was just an Internet pisstake.

Is it legit they actually have them in the cabin with a seat and all?

I didn’t think they came and sat with the owner, thought they were in a different section underneath. Maybe that’s the old way?

In the US some airlines allow “Emotional support” animals on board because US passengers are mental midgets who can’t travel without their pet. It’s a disgrace and I’d avoid any airline that does it