Travel Thread

Fixed fare cabs from Coolangatta airport to Kingscliffe $67. Privately booked limousine from Coolangatta airport to Kingscliffe $70. Dodgier than the dodgy taxis in Korea.

less than two weeks before I head to New Zealand. Soooooo looking forward to it!

looks like a trip to Bangkok is in order , the missus getting a BOOB job :blink: ! so i guess ill tag along for some cold Chang Special and a week of awesome curry ;)
On a serious note though i wonder how much the travel insurance would be for such a mission?

I doubt they'd touch it.
Big big risks.
I'm sure the level of care is fine (staff are cheap comparatively)... but I'd be worried about your rights if things go wrong, I'd be worried about materials used, sterilisation of the joint etc which could cause things to go wrong.
FYI I work in hospitals (mostly private).

I'm with HAP.

Whilst the surgeons performing the various operations have all graduated medical schools (albeit not necessarily to the same standards you're used to in Australia), that is only a piece of the puzzle. There's so many factors and people involved in a surgery, and it only requires one of these things to ■■■■ up and you're in trouble. Not to mention that something is being implanted into your body, which opens up a whole new realm of potential issues, particularly infection.

And you definitely want to check this with your health insurer because you're going to find that a lot of them will not give you a cent if a surgery goes wrong over there and you're up ■■■■ creek without a paddle. Not to mention no travel agency will cover elective surgeries in Thailand unless you pay for some exceptionally expensive travel insurance which includes it.

Those savings you make by having the surgery overseas can very quickly be nullified if something goes wrong. 

And whilst you're going to find there's plenty of people who will have had no issues overseas with these sorts of things, you're going to find a reasonably big proportion which did have complications ranging from mild to extremely severe (not to suggest there's no risks having surgeries in Australia).
My advice is go wild on the beautiful beaches in Thailand and if you're looking at any cosmetic surgery save it for when you're back home.

Any suggestions on where to stay in London, we've got 6 nights there December 1st - December 6th before our Contiki trip and looking for a good place to have some fun.

We don't care about artwork on the wall, exceptionally friendly staff or room service. We're all about good location (particularly for nightlife) and a reasonable price.

For anyone who has been to Singapore.

Can you just pull out money via an ATM?

Visas card accessing credit and savings accounts?

I am assuming so.

For anyone who has been to Singapore.

Can you just pull out money via an ATM?
Visas card accessing credit and savings accounts?

I am assuming so.

Yes. Was there last month, money is easy to withdraw, from any account. Also some atms at the melb airport dispense foreign currencies before you leave.
Getting a smile from a local singaporean however...good luck!

Ha! going for the food and the kids stuff.

and the cheap flights. Family of 5 $620 return!

Get a 28 Degrees card from GE Money.  Load it up from your Savings Account as you go, keep it in credit & use it as a debit card. 

No TXN fees.

No ForEx fees.

No buy / sell conversion rate.

No interest charged (provided you keep it in credit & pay by due date of course).

Withdraw cash from ATMs.  Put purchases on the card.  Did this in Europe last year.  Works a dream.

can i get one in 24 hours?

I guess I could lend you mine....

Get a 28 Degrees card from GE Money.  Load it up from your Savings Account as you go, keep it in credit & use it as a debit card. 

No TXN fees.

No ForEx fees.

No buy / sell conversion rate.

No interest charged (provided you keep it in credit & pay by due date of course).

Withdraw cash from ATMs.  Put purchases on the card.  Did this in Europe last year.  Works a dream.

I thought they were changing the fees next year so that there will be a fee for withdrawing cash?

I’m heading to US in the new year for the Super Bowl.

Upon my trip down the west coast, I’m hoping to hire a car and drive from San Fransisco to San Diego then to Las Vegas.

Any tips on whether I should book the car before the trip or when I get there would be much appreciated. Any links to particular companies would be of help as well.

Cheers.

Ha! going for the food and the kids stuff.
and the cheap flights. Family of 5 $620 return!

Wow. From melbourne?
It's a good place, but to be honest it felt it was all the vanilla stuff from the west combined with all the vanilla stuff from the east. Super clean and super safe, easy to get around. You'll have a great time.

Is there anything to do in Auckland???

Experience an earthquake?

Apply for Australian Residency?

There's a mini-golf course a few hundred metres from the airport (takes credit cards, so no need to get any NZ cash out).

36 holes there, and back in time for the flight out. Wear a water-proof jacket.

Depends what you like doing. 

I lived there for 15 years, so give me a bit more info on age, who you are travelling with, likes / dislikes.

1376988_10151737353308099_210692148_n.jp

I lived there for 15 years, so give me a bit more info on age, who you are travelling with, likes / dislikes.

Well I had a credit I with Virgin that I had to use up, anniversary was coming up, credit had to be used, saw specials to Auckland and went 'meh, never been there before' so booked flights.
Was going to head over to Waiheke Island for a couple of days, but wondering if there's a 'MUST DO' over there.

Well I had a credit I with Virgin that I had to use up, anniversary was coming up, credit had to be used, saw specials to Auckland and went 'meh, never been there before' so booked flights.
Was going to head over to Waiheke Island for a couple of days, but wondering if there's a 'MUST DO' over there.

Depends how long you are there, where you are based, whether you have own transport, who you are travelling with, what your interests are, etc. etc.

I'm out of touch with nightlife options, but you could consider:

Ferry out to Rangitoto Island & walk to the summit (iconic dormant volcano in the harbour which last erupted a few 100 years ago).

The West Coast black sand surf beaches (Piha, Karekare, Whatipu) - great if you like exploring wild coastlines, or surfing for that matter. 

Domain Museum (free to enter & good views of the city & harbour). 

Waihiki Island could be good for beaches, kayaking & wineries.

Snorkelling / diving at Poor Knights Islands (a couple of hours north).