Travel Thread

That island and Volcano sounds like the go.  WIll suss that out.

Say Beyonce jump off that tower, but it costs $250 each or something.  Freeg that.

Get a 28 Degrees card from GE Money.  Load it up from your Savings Account as you go, keep it in credit & use it as a debit card. 

No TXN fees.

No ForEx fees.

No buy / sell conversion rate.

No interest charged (provided you keep it in credit & pay by due date of course).

Withdraw cash from ATMs.  Put purchases on the card.  Did this in Europe last year.  Works a dream.

Yep, we did the same thing this year, works as well as you want it to. It is their "low margin" card so as long as you pay it off in time then you are getting the best deal for yourself.

In Europe we used a combination of travel card (got it last year through ANZ) cash (im wog) and the 28 degrees card.

Off topic slightly, Berlin - What a city!!!

Get a 28 Degrees card from GE Money.  Load it up from your Savings Account as you go, keep it in credit & use it as a debit card. 

No TXN fees.

No ForEx fees.

No buy / sell conversion rate.

No interest charged (provided you keep it in credit & pay by due date of course).

Withdraw cash from ATMs.  Put purchases on the card.  Did this in Europe last year.  Works a dream.

Yep, we did the same thing this year, works as well as you want it to. It is their "low margin" card so as long as you pay it off in time then you are getting the best deal for yourself.

In Europe we used a combination of travel card (got it last year through ANZ) cash (im wog) and the 28 degrees card.

Off topic slightly, Berlin - What a city!!!

From Jan 1, there will be a 3% fee on cash advances using 28 Degrees. 

Obviously trying to discourage use as a Debit Card. 

Still good as a CC though.

yeah, we only used it as a CC. Bought what we needed then transferred the money to pay it off. In Europe, alot of our purchases were large so the 0.03 difference in exchange rates was a saving. We would buy Prada stuff or Diesel and if it came to €1200 the difference would be $80-$100.

seeking Blitzer knowledge!

am looking for a place to stay for a few days in late February. Cottage/cabin, rural setting, ideally right next to a lake/river with good fishing!

Preferably out west - will be in Daylesford for a wedding on the Saturday, so looking at a radius from there to the Murray, Grampians, Camperdown etc. but not as far as Portland or Swan Hill.

Doesn't have to be luxurious but needs to be comfortable

oh, also needs to be in mobile range or have internet access

Also, if you haven't been to New Zealand yet..... GO!!! :)

I want to go to NZ to do the LOTR tour!

Also, for anyone interested in going to California, it seems to be cheaper to fly Jetstar to Hawaii, then Alaskan to San Diego (from Melbourne) than flying into LA. and customs is a lot faster too

For any younguns looking to party etc my suggestion would be - stop in Hawaii for a few days, 5-8 nights in Pacific Beach (San Diego), few nights in Hermosa beach, then Venice Beach/Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, San Fran then Las Vegas before a few more nights in San Diego before heading back

I want to go to NZ to do the LOTR tour!
Also, for anyone interested in going to California, it seems to be cheaper to fly Jetstar to Hawaii, then Alaskan to San Diego (from Melbourne) than flying into LA. and customs is a lot faster too
For any younguns looking to party etc my suggestion would be - stop in Hawaii for a few days, 5-8 nights in Pacific Beach (San Diego), few nights in Hermosa beach, then Venice Beach/Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, San Fran then Las Vegas before a few more nights in San Diego before heading back

I'm heading to the US in the new year.
Doing the San Fran to LA to San Diego across to Las Vegas driving trip for 30 days.
Have heard from many people that San Diego is a definite addition to the a West Coast trip. Pity my accommodation is around 1hr North of San Diego, but will definitely head down for a few day trips.
Pity I'm not doing the Route 66 drive. Would love to do it, but crossing through tornado alley in peak season doesn't really sit well for me.

It’s a bit quiet outside of summer but still definitely work a look

am looking for a place to stay for a few days in late February. Cottage/cabin, rural setting, ideally right next to a lake/river with good fishing!

Preferably out west - will be in Daylesford for a wedding on the Saturday, so looking at a radius from there to the Murray, Grampians, Camperdown etc. but not as far as Portland or Swan Hill.

Its been a long time since I was there last, but the family used to have property at Johanna and remember a lot of cabins were going up, also vaguely remember decent fishing.

I know some people in warracknabeal. :lol:

Does anyone have any suggestions for the North Island of NZ?

Nuclear or chemical?

Visit the gimblett gravels at hawkes bay and tell us how good (or bad) their red wines are

Visit the gimblett gravels at hawkes bay and tell us how good (or bad) their red wines are

They are near to Napier which is supposed to be one of the Art Deco capitals of the world - if you are into these thangs

They are near to Napier which is supposed to be one of the Art Deco capitals of the world - if you are into these thangs

1381636_10151742506853099_761961658_n.jp

that's at Hastings, very close to Napier

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/surreal-places-to-visit-before-you-die

Has anyone been to any of these places and able to shed some light on whether they are quite as amazing as the descriptions suggest?
I've been to the glow worm caves in waitomo and that was indeed awe inspiring.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/surreal-places-to-visit-before-you-die

Has anyone been to any of these places and able to shed some light on whether they are quite as amazing as the descriptions suggest?
I've been to the glow worm caves in waitomo and that was indeed awe inspiring.

Waitomo.

Cenotes in Yucatan Mexico.

Victoria Falls. 

Otherwise, a great reminder there are so many more amazing places to see. 

Visited Vic Falls last year. The actual falls are in Zambia BUT the best view is in Zimbabwe. We were in Zimbabwe and got incredible views but we then walked over the border bridge and through the border post (and got our passport stamped for around $20 US) into Zambia. We were then able to enter the Zambian version and walk around the top and right down to the base of the Falls, passing very few tourists but several baboons on the way down. If you go, I recommend that you have a gander from both sides.

Get the taxi back across the bridge, it's a long stroll in the heat.

PS I haven't been to the Blue Hole in Belize but I went to 2 on the island of Tanna in Vanuatu where the snorkling is extraordinary. If you do go remember to take reef shoes and exit before the tide comes in, I sported coral scars for months afterwards  for failing to take this warning seriously. Tanna also is home to an incredibly active volcano, Mount Yassur, and there are virtually no safety restrictions, so you can take all the risks you like. (We backed off after one massive explosion sent the black rocks landing over our heads. Our guide told us that if the rocks were flying towards us to keep our eyes on the rocks and step sideways rather than backwards and then it was "safe" but that the black rocks couldn't be seen as the light dimmed and the view was at it's best.) I'd put Tanna in my top 27!

NZ has so much to see that has no parallel in Australia. A region that few tourists visit is the "arm" of land extending north of Auckland. Depends on what you preferences are, but Doubtless Bay would be a lovely place to have as a base and visit surrounding sights.

NZ has so much to see that has no parallel in Australia. A region that few tourists visit is the "arm" of land extending north of Auckland. Depends on what you preferences are, but Doubtless Bay would be a lovely place to have as a base and visit surrounding sights.
My uncle, a photographer, visited there early 1967. Only problem was that he didn't make the return trip. A semi saw to that.

Anyone been to Jordan?

Might have an opportunity to go there for a seminar next year and was wondering if there is anything else worthwhile to see in the region? And how easy is it to travel there?

Thinking of going to Petra and the Gulf Of Aqaba to get my Transformers n3rd on