Troy Pannell & Leigh Fisher

I was more trying to suggest that the two specifically mentioned have been mentioned because they are indeed two of the worst. I would indeed like to believe that everything is even and our umpires are evenly poor, but I do not.

As you indicate, the overall poor umpiring interpretations are pretty much due to the rules being as grey as can be.

1 Like

The Waite tackle on Gleeson happened right near me.

I was going off at the ump for that horrible play on call. Unfortunately not many High Mark members agreed with me!

It makes me think of the HTB rule. Once it meant, if you had prior opportunity and the ball was not disposed of correctly, then you were pinged for HTB. Now however, oin order to make the game “flow” more, if you are HTB yet it gets “knocked out in the tackle” then they call play on. The problem is though, not many actually get knocked out, most are simply dropped but unless it is so bleedingly obvious they won’t pay (who am I kidding, even when obvious) against it. Now players don’t even try to dispose of it, they just let go.

2 Likes

I admit, I jeered him off. He’s always been terrible against us and was particularly bad that night. This week justified it.

1 Like

That rule has existed as is for a very long time.

One thing I’ve increasingly noticed is how even with three umps they love to all stay middle of the ground. So players can and do happily drop the ball when facing the crowd, because they know they’ll almost never get pinged for it.

2 Likes

I would of rko’d panell whilst he was on the stretcher I hate him that much

4 Likes

Biggest mistake was introducing 2 umpires to the original central umpire. The game is now massively over umpired and like DJR said, from the middle of the ground.

The obvious solution was to keep one central umpire and instead added two more boundary umpires. Give the boundary umpires the ability to call obvious frees (only) but let the central umpire to actually umpire a free flowing game.

With 4 boundary umpires, you’ll never have these clowns out of position, no angles are blinded and real decisions, not guess work, can be made.

Yes…I’m an idea’s man…

10 Likes

would it of been outta nowhere?

1 Like

Leigh Fisher is the Great Khali of umpires.

1 Like

Maybe it also sucks witnessing such overtly biased umpiring even when its in your team’s favour?

No wonder not too many people here are familiar with the feeling…although not too often!

Haha
Unfortunately us Bomber fans wouldn’t know what that is like!

1 Like

Still puzzled as to how Parnell could hear booing when unconscious?

Anyway the traditional Windy Hill response was not to boo an fallen umpire or opposition player but to call loudly for the “Screen!”
Much more civilised.

5 Likes

Got a post-game survey from AFL. Asked (among other things) to rate the quality of the umpiring…

0/10

13 Likes

Actually there was ONE time when we were given the blatant, inexcusable frees.

It was against Fitzroy in their last season when the AFL was killing them off.

It was embarrassing and I hated what they were doing then. It was wrong then and it is worse now.

3 Likes

Was that bug eyed ■■■■ Pannell the one that got ■■■■ mixed that time?

Who is the former ess player umpiring?

Is Bannister still around? I thought he’d given umpiring away…

1 Like

Jordan Bannister gave it away prior to the start of the 2017 season.

1 Like

I actually like that idea TeeBee.