Truck slams into crowd at Bastille Day Celebrations- Terror attack likely

".... to stop treating the West with disdain....."

hahahaha

The West deserves farkin disdain - it’s a shithole. As does the East. The North is not bad. And the South - well, who cares.

Yeah, those Frenchies probably deserved to be run over too, right?

".... to stop treating the West with disdain....."

hahahaha

The West deserves farkin disdain - it’s a shithole. As does the East. The North is not bad. And the South - well, who cares.

Yeah, those Frenchies probably deserved to be run over too, right?

Don’t be a farkin ■■■■.

I'm more interested in the 'very real threat Islam presents to our Western freedoms and values.' I've heard it before. It wasn't expanded on then, either.
Does it really require explanation?

It does. Obviously it does. It’s a massive, massive statement.
But I don’t expect one because it’s copy pasta sloganeering. It’s meant to be read and accepted, not justified.

Wake up!

These people preach hatred and death to the West (and to other Muslims)!

Why do you think they are blowing themselves up, detonating bombs, flying planes in to buildings, running over people in the street?

Why does ISIS exist? Hamas? Hezbollah? Boko Haram? The list goes on…

Educate yourself on what these groups are saying, what they believe, what they want.

You forgot to say sheeple.
So before you were saying ISIS was the extremist part of Islam and now you’re saying Islam is ISIS.
And still nothing justifying your comment.

If you don’t want to, just say so.

I am not sure posting that huge list is all that helpful. I work with Muslims and these guys are all good and condemn this crap, it breaks theirs hearts to see this. They also acknowledge that there is a huge problem with this in the world and that many terrorists are travelling to the West to cause issues.

I personally think that for the most part most Aussie Muslims want to have a serious discussion about this iussue, their problem though is that these discussions are hijacked by the extreme right who simply turn it into a chant to deport all Muslims and it becomes a racist issue and then the left side of Islam comes out posting silly crap about the racist things they face and chant racist in our faces.

Posting that crap just adds to that problem. Discussing Islam doesn’t have to resort to the usual bigoted, racist statements to address a real issue.

That to me is interesting. In my all years I working in large organisations I can honestly say I rarely if ever knew the religion of anyone I worked with. It only ever come up if you were invited to a wedding or a bar mitzvah or some other celebration.
Religion was never discussed.

Why has it now become such an issue in a supposedly secular country such as this one that people are discussing what religion they follow?
To me that says our society has changed substantially.

Well you see I tend to be a very friendly person who likes to get to know people on a personal level which involes asking such questions as “are you in a relationship, do you have children, do you follow a religious belief, what do you think about such and such”. I enjoy conversation and differing opinions so I tend to ask questions and open discussion lines. It is who I am. I have been working since the late 70’s and it has always been that way.

I find it very intriguing when people say they have no idea what their fellow co-workers believe about life.

I'm more interested in the 'very real threat Islam presents to our Western freedoms and values.' I've heard it before. It wasn't expanded on then, either.

But I don’t expect one because it’s copy pasta sloganeering. It’s meant to be read and accepted, not justified.

Wake up!

Why do you think they are blowing themselves up, detonating bombs, flying planes in to buildings, running over people in the street?

Educate yourself on what these groups are saying, what they believe, what they want.

So before you were saying ISIS was the extremist part of Islam and now you’re saying Islam is ISIS.

I don’t even know what you’re talking about. Talking to you can be incredibly frustrating.

Oh and I work with Budhists, Muslims, Catholics, Hindus and atheists. We are a very mixed team both philosophically and ethnically.

I don’t really understand what there is to debate about at this point. What I’m saying should be so blindingly obvious as to not even need to be said at all.

ISIS also exists because of American gov’t driven civil wars in the middle-east.

I don't really understand what there is to debate about at this point. What I'm saying should be so blindingly obvious as to not even need to be said at all.

I agree with you in part about having a conversation but you need to seperate radical Islam from all Muslims, they simply do not all think that way. So feel free to discuss the issue of radicalised Islamic youth and what you think can be done to resolve the issue from the everyday Muslim in Australia who is far removed from this.

I don't really understand what there is to debate about at this point. What I'm saying should be so blindingly obvious as to not even need to be said at all.

I agree with you in part about having a conversation but you need to seperate radical Islam from all Muslims, they simply do not all think that way. So feel free to discuss the issue of radicalised Islamic youth and what you think can be done to resolve the issue from the everyday Muslim in Australia who is far removed from this.

I don’t believe every Muslim thinks that way, but far too many do.
It was your list.

Edit: A few which either don’t have much, or indeed any, web presence, btw.

Yeah sorry Wim. Religion is not my forte.
Indeed, I’m a confirmed atheist, thank god.

I Googled a list of Islamic newspapers having no idea at all what content they carry, nor really caring for that matter. So long as they’re not preaching hate or intolerance. An editorial condemning acts of cowardice, the slaughtering of innocents in the name of their faith would be icing on the cake.

It’s just that when one of their own gets killed, the grief, the banging on the coffin, the demonstrations, the wailings, the emotional outpourings are enormous. I would have thought that 1.6 billion people wailing for the innocents killed in the name of their religion would drown out the whole world.

It might just be my ears Wim, they’re not what they once were.

My father would cross the street in his country town to avoid trouble from people of a very slightly different religion to his own.

Yeah, my Dad didn’t like Carlton supporters much either.

The moderate Muslim world is far more terrified of radical Islam than we are.

To lament the lack of condemnation and ‘speaking out,’ is to ignore the very real consequences those actions can have for the individual, and even their family.

Wake up!

I don’t even know what you’re talking about. Talking to you can be incredibly frustrating.

I understand that communication is not always my strong point, but I’d hope on this point I’m being quite clear.
You said, “the very real threat that Islam presents to our Western freedoms and values.”
I’m asking you to explain what you mean by that.
Which freedoms. Which values?
Are they exclusively Western?
Are you talking about the Australian version of freedom and values, or just the ones shared by, say…the US and UK?
In what way is the threat ‘very real?’
Who are the powerful people of Islam working against them, and apparently gaining real measurable gains in these areas…and just on that, what specifically are these gains?

Or is it, as I first mentioned, just copy pasta sloganeering that you haven’t even thought about before repeating?

Surely that’s clear.

It was your list.

Edit: A few which either don’t have much, or indeed any, web presence, btw.

Yeah sorry Wim. Religion is not my forte.
Indeed, I’m a confirmed atheist, thank god.

I Googled a list of Islamic newspapers having no idea at all what content they carry, nor really caring for that matter. So long as they’re not preaching hate or intolerance. An editorial condemning acts of cowardice, the slaughtering of innocents in the name of their faith would be icing on the cake.

It’s just that when one of their own gets killed, the grief, the banging on the coffin, the demonstrations, the wailings, the emotional outpourings are enormous. I would have thought that 1.6 billion people wailing for the innocents killed in the name of their religion would drown out the whole world.

It might just be my ears Wim, they’re not what they once were.

Do you read all of them?
...because if you did you'd find they condemn atrocities like this quite regularly.

Although they shouldn’t need to.

I don’t feel the need to condemn every atrocity committed by atheists, because I like to think that people don’t automatically assume my beliefs align with the worst of us.

On top of that, I don’t give a sht about the hundreds/thousands/millions killed in Islamic influenced regions on a daily basis* and equally I wouldn’t expect anyone in those regions to give a sht about anyone killed in Western countries for the same reason.

• because my tiny little caveman brain truly struggles to comprehend everyone outside my little radius of existence living as sentient beings with their own thoughts, feelings, desires and dreams.
The moderate Muslim world is far more terrified of radical Islam than we are.

To lament the lack of condemnation and ‘speaking out,’ is to ignore the very real consequences those actions can have for the individual, and even their family.

So what I’m getting from this is:
That their religion keeps them living in fear. That they can’t be seen to be speaking out disparagingly on any aspect of Islam, regardless of their humanitarian viewpoints.

On top of that, I don't give a sht about the hundreds/thousands/millions killed in Islamic influenced regions on a daily basis* and equally I wouldn't expect anyone in those regions to give a sht about anyone killed in Western countries for the same reason.
    • because my tiny little caveman brain truly struggles to comprehend everyone outside my little radius of existence living as sentient beings with their own thoughts, feelings, desires and dreams.

This does not make me feel good about myself so I’m going to ignore it, even though I feel it might be true.

Wake up!

I understand that communication is not always my strong point, but I’d hope on this point I’m being quite clear.
You said, “the very real threat that Islam presents to our Western freedoms and values.”
I’m asking you to explain what you mean by that.
Which freedoms. Which values?
Are they exclusively Western?
Are you talking about the Australian version of freedom and values, or just the ones shared by, say…the US and UK?
In what way is the threat ‘very real?’
Who are the powerful people of Islam working against them, and apparently gaining real measurable gains in these areas…and just on that, what specifically are these gains?

Or is it, as I first mentioned, just copy pasta sloganeering that you haven’t even thought about before repeating?

Surely that’s clear.

I’m on my phone (and it has no battery) so can’t do this question justice, but if we take France as the case study for Muslim immigration (I believe along with Germany it has the largest population in Europe), we have Hi seen several attacks which present a direct threat to our western democratic value of living in peace and security, free from the threat of terrorism. I would also encourage you to read up on the “no go” zones which have been described as mini Islamic states that are too dangerous to enter. I would also point to Charlie Hebdo which was a blatant attack on our right to free speech and a free press.

Right, so when you say ‘our’ you’re not talking about Australia at all.
Or, as far as the Charlie Hebdo attacks go, Islam.

You need to be consistent with how you frame these things.
Either Islam = ISIS or it doesn’t. They’re not interchangable depending on whatever point you want to make.