Truck slams into crowd at Bastille Day Celebrations- Terror attack likely

Why does the threat have to be so intangible, like 'values' and 'freedoms?'

Radical Islam poses a real threat to the lives of people living in Western Europe, and France specifically. No doubt about that. It poses a real threat to the lives of those living in the middle East as well, if you want to take the ‘Western’ aspect out of it.

Essentially, it doesn’t matter if they follow Mohammed, a spaceship, lizard people or the spaghetti monster, there is a bunch of nutcases commiting orchestrated mass murder around the globe, and that’s an issue that isn’t going away, and needs to be addressed.

Yes, but wouldn’t it be nice if all of the spaceship people, all the lizard people and all of the spaghetti monster people said in one voice. “We find killing in the name of our religion abhorrent and instead of cough backdoor funding the perpetrators, part of our billions of petrodollars will be spent on stamping out such beliefs and extremism”.

None of the Muslims I know have billions in petro-dollars.

And anyway Wim, I would have thought that someone as well connected as you are, would be constantly rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.

Shieks, Sultans, Kings, Queens, Pharaohs, that sort of thing.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

There are too Muslims doing nothing right now and evil is spreading as a result. The Muslim community is the key to stopping this spread but at the moment not enough are willing to hold up a mirror.

Radical Islam poses a real threat to the lives of people living in Western Europe, and France specifically. No doubt about that. It poses a real threat to the lives of those living in the middle East as well, if you want to take the ‘Western’ aspect out of it.

Essentially, it doesn’t matter if they follow Mohammed, a spaceship, lizard people or the spaghetti monster, there is a bunch of nutcases commiting orchestrated mass murder around the globe, and that’s an issue that isn’t going away, and needs to be addressed.

Yes, but wouldn’t it be nice if all of the spaceship people, all the lizard people and all of the spaghetti monster people said in one voice. “We find killing in the name of our religion abhorrent and instead of cough backdoor funding the perpetrators, part of our billions of petrodollars will be spent on stamping out such beliefs and extremism”.

And anyway Wim, I would have thought that someone as well connected as you are, would be constantly rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.

I know a few queens…

Lol, … I bet you do ducky … I bet you do.

Edit; Oh, and … Badoomp, Tish*

I know a few queens…

Umm, your second favourite team wouldn’t be St. Kilda would it?

It’s Adelaide, actually.
They did have a Premier there years ago…

Yes well, you’re probably right.

Of all the things mentioned like, Lizard People, Spaceships and Spaghetti Monsters. Petrodollars probably don’t really exist.

I’m sure petro-dollars exist, just none of the Muslims I know have any. I’ll ask them to stop doing that though, just in case, since we’re asking them to apologise for the things they have nothing to do with.

How do you know a) they are Muslims b) they have no PetroDollars and c) they have nothing to do with it?

Um, has it even been confirmed this was a religious-based terror attack?

No. No one has claimed responsibility as yet. Don’t let that stop anyone tarring a whole religion with the brush of a few extremists though.

Surprised we haven’t heard the shrill from Ol’ Redneck herself yet …

It’s weird how news outlets are so obsessed with finding a label. I was watching CNN this morning (I know, but it’s all I get in English on my basic cable here) and they had a whole thing about whether or not they are calling this a “terrorist” attack. The semantics they got into were nauseating. “Well, we don’t know if it was ISIS behind this, but surely this would seem to be a terrorist attack.” “Well, it’s an attack on innocent people, but can it be called terrorism?” And on it went.

We want to fit these things into neat little categories so our simple minds can comprehend them and we can move on, compile our statistics and opinions on certain undesirables in society, give politicians buzzwords to trumpet.

Its because of the response allowed. The rules of engagement.
Have you been reading about the coroners inquest into the Lindt cafe siege? It provides an illuminating aspect to response.
The response was by the NSW police because they didn’t invite the army in. It was at that stage a siege and not a terrorist event. Apart from the fact they didn’t have the correct equipment, their mobile van broke down a few years ago and wasnt replaced etc, they had bullets that weren’t designed for indoor use and were far more likely to splinter (which is what they did killing Katrina Dawson). The army would have had the correct ammunition. (not a competition BTW)
The army could have stormed the place and shot the guy. The NSW police cant just shoot someone even if they are holding someone hostage. They have to negotiate until someone’s life is in danger.
So while it seems like semantics to u,s the classification actually has a purpose and a meaning and a level of response associated.

Yes well, you’re probably right.

Of all the things mentioned like, Lizard People, Spaceships and Spaghetti Monsters. Petrodollars probably don’t really exist.

I’m sure petro-dollars exist, just none of the Muslims I know have any. I’ll ask them to stop doing that though, just in case, since we’re asking them to apologise for the things they have nothing to do with.

How do you know a) they are Muslims b) they have no PetroDollars and c) they have nothing to do with it?

Of all the posts here though, I'm really surprised at the lack of what I think is the most pertinent question, & one I've been asking in my head since 7 am ...

How on earth, … in a country that has suffered so many attacks in the past 2 years, & is/was currently under a “State of Emergency”, … does a large truck, full of guns ammo, & explosives no less, even get the opportunity to drive into an area where people are gathered in large numbers unchecked or challenged, on a day that is likely to be a prime time target for these barstards, at all??

Let alone get access to the crowd itself, to the point it can drive at high speed for 2 fking kilometers through them??

The mind just fking reels that this was possible. When the answer is as simple as having two trucks of your own blocking the street from access to any other than authorised vehicles, surely this is an easily identified risk, that could easily have been eliminated, & someone needs a good fking beating for the situation.

Can’t stop shaking my head at it.

They said he was driving for 20 minutes and within that time, got out of the van fired at people then got back in and started driving again. Which I just can’t get my head around the, how.

What to do in France?

1. Start talking between agencies, he had a local french police record - but not on the radar to the counter terrorism unit (what!)
  2. IP track all hate speech found online (just track what’s posted on social media), seize person and phones etc. Give police the power to review phone data, chat and data logs. Phone logs of group chats will then bring others into the evidence.
  3. Police the no-go areas in France

This has to be their watershed moment

The world just gets more ■■■■■■ up every day.

I don’t know any Saudis either.
Of all the posts here though, I'm really surprised at the lack of what I think is the most pertinent question, & one I've been asking in my head since 7 am ...

How on earth, … in a country that has suffered so many attacks in the past 2 years, & is/was currently under a “State of Emergency”, … does a large truck, full of guns ammo, & explosives no less, even get the opportunity to drive into an area where people are gathered in large numbers unchecked or challenged, on a day that is likely to be a prime time target for these barstards, at all??

Let alone get access to the crowd itself, to the point it can drive at high speed for 2 fking kilometers through them??

The mind just fking reels that this was possible. When the answer is as simple as having two trucks of your own blocking the street from access to any other than authorised vehicles, surely this is an easily identified risk, that could easily have been eliminated, & someone needs a good fking beating for the situation.

Can’t stop shaking my head at it.

They said he was driving for 20 minutes and within that time, got out of the van fired at people then got back in and started driving again. Which I just can’t get my head around the, how.

What to do in France?

1. Start talking between agencies, he had a local french police record - but not on the radar to the counter terrorism unit (what!)
  2. IP track all hate speech found online (just track what’s posted on social media), seize person and phones etc. Give police the power to review phone data, chat and data logs. Phone logs of group chats will then bring others into the evidence.
  3. Police nuke the no-go areas in France

This has to be their watershed moment

Fixed.

The French have plenty of nukes, they may as well use them. In case they aren’t aware, ISIS is at war with the French.

This was a few years ago, before the rise of ISIS, some French people I know told me random muslims would walk up to them, point, and say stuff like; “We will own this country one day and kill all you Christians”.

It’s been building for a long time.

Meanwhile, here’s how wedded they actually are to Islamic tenets:

"A former US intelligence director has revealed that laptops seized from ISIS jihadis are filled up to 80 per cent with ■■■■ films.

Lieutenant General Michael Flynn, an ex-chief of the Defence Intelligence Agency says the graphic films inures extremists to carry out their hideous brutality.

And he adds that intelligence gathering and the closing down of the fanatics’ communications channels is key to beating them."

I am not sure posting that huge list is all that helpful. I work with Muslims and these guys are all good and condemn this crap, it breaks theirs hearts to see this. They also acknowledge that there is a huge problem with this in the world and that many terrorists are travelling to the West to cause issues.

I personally think that for the most part most Aussie Muslims want to have a serious discussion about this iussue, their problem though is that these discussions are hijacked by the extreme right who simply turn it into a chant to deport all Muslims and it becomes a racist issue and then the left side of Islam comes out posting silly crap about the racist things they face and chant racist in our faces.

Posting that crap just adds to that problem. Discussing Islam doesn’t have to resort to the usual bigoted, racist statements to address a real issue.

That to me is interesting. In my all years I working in large organisations I can honestly say I rarely if ever knew the religion of anyone I worked with. It only ever come up if you were invited to a wedding or a bar mitzvah or some other celebration.
Religion was never discussed.

Why has it now become such an issue in a supposedly secular country such as this one that people are discussing what religion they follow?
To me that says our society has changed substantially.

Well you see I tend to be a very friendly person who likes to get to know people on a personal level which involes asking such questions as “are you in a relationship, do you have children, do you follow a religious belief, what do you think about such and such”. I enjoy conversation and differing opinions so I tend to ask questions and open discussion lines. It is who I am. I have been working since the late 70’s and it has always been that way.

I find it very intriguing when people say they have no idea what their fellow co-workers believe about life.

I am sure you see yourself as friendly. However if someone I worked with asked me all those questions I would think it was exceedingly rude, unless I knew them very well. Certainly my relationship status has nothing to do with people I work with either.

lol yeah like I ask all that on day one. Don’t be a twit.

the images are sickening…world gone mad

I am not sure posting that huge list is all that helpful. I work with Muslims and these guys are all good and condemn this crap, it breaks theirs hearts to see this. They also acknowledge that there is a huge problem with this in the world and that many terrorists are travelling to the West to cause issues.

I personally think that for the most part most Aussie Muslims want to have a serious discussion about this iussue, their problem though is that these discussions are hijacked by the extreme right who simply turn it into a chant to deport all Muslims and it becomes a racist issue and then the left side of Islam comes out posting silly crap about the racist things they face and chant racist in our faces.

Posting that crap just adds to that problem. Discussing Islam doesn’t have to resort to the usual bigoted, racist statements to address a real issue.

That to me is interesting. In my all years I working in large organisations I can honestly say I rarely if ever knew the religion of anyone I worked with. It only ever come up if you were invited to a wedding or a bar mitzvah or some other celebration.
Religion was never discussed.

Why has it now become such an issue in a supposedly secular country such as this one that people are discussing what religion they follow?
To me that says our society has changed substantially.

Well you see I tend to be a very friendly person who likes to get to know people on a personal level which involes asking such questions as “are you in a relationship, do you have children, do you follow a religious belief, what do you think about such and such”. I enjoy conversation and differing opinions so I tend to ask questions and open discussion lines. It is who I am. I have been working since the late 70’s and it has always been that way.

I find it very intriguing when people say they have no idea what their fellow co-workers believe about life.

I am sure you see yourself as friendly. However if someone I worked with asked me all those questions I would think it was exceedingly rude, unless I knew them very well. Certainly my relationship status has nothing to do with people I work with either.

lol yeah like I ask all that on day one. Don’t be a twit.

I’m not. Couldn’t care how long I was working with someone. Work is work. I’m not there for a social occasion.
The only relevance any of those personal issues have is if they affect someones ability to do their job properly. Apart from that no one else business.

Sound like you’d make a top workmate.

Sound like you'd make a top workmate.

WTF is that supposed to mean?

Is that a rhetorical question?