TV show thread (2022-?)

Might be a bit late to the party, but just finished Derry Girls. It was really good, made me laugh heaps and I reckon I only understood 80% of the jokes. Tempting to watch again with sub-titles.

Blockquote

2 Likes

Also recently watched Undone on Amazon Prime. That was good too, completely different but it reminded me of that Simpson episode where Homer eat the chilli. Well worth watching.

The subtitles take away all the dialect, but might help you understand it.

There are far worse manifestations of the English language.

I have seen a subtitled version in Portuguese (a mate’s was going back to Rio and wanted to keep his hand in), and ‘wains’ was translated into children (Portuguese equivalent). That’s what it means, but i preferred wains to be the word used.

Yeah, the accent is probably why half the stuff is so funny, also the odd words they use to describe things is what makes it. I try and re-tell some of the jokes without the accents and it just falls flat.

There’s a show called the Kennedys which came out in 2015 with the girl off the IT Crowd in it. It was basically a biopic about a family’s move to the estates in 60s middle Britain.

Really well made but never went past one season. Idiots. The beeb has made some strange decisions in its time but as they floats towards more “safe” tv in its planning, much like the ABC, maybe not so surprising.

Also featured Ray Purchase off Toast. Very underrated.

Anything with Ray in it has to be worth seeking out. I like to imagine Toast was a reality show

1 Like

My sister gave me access to AcornTV and I’ve found a few watchable series…
Darby and Joan with Bryan Brown and Greta Scacchi travelling around Queensland in a caravan trying to find why her husband (John Waters) has died in Australia.
Murder in Provence with Roger Allam (Endeavour) playing a juge d’instruction in Aix-en-Provence. Everything’s French, except the actors and the language.
My Life is Murder, set in Melbourne then Auckland, with Lucy Lawless as a widowed ex-cop who investigates written off murders. Also on Ch 10.
HIP…Originally HPI (Haut Potentiel Intellectuel) with Audrey Fleurot as a single mother on the spectrum who works as a cleaner at police HQ who sees deficiencies in the investigation and is employed as a consultant., to the chagrin of the regular detectives. Audrey Fleurot was the redheaded lawyer right throughout Spiral, and a lead in the true life reenactment of a fire at a charity bazaar in Paris during La Belle Époque. This one’s set in Lille.
And lastly, Poquelin and De Beaumont, about a detective squad in Dunkirk with an eccentric single mother, who leads the squad but has a snooty detective foisted on her. Only seen one ep so far.

Anyone watched or watching 1899 on Netflix ?

Enjoyed it was intriguing.

If you liked Dark, you’ll like 1899 too.

I watched some of the making of it afterward which was intriguing also. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What’s it about? The Spanish-American War, the end of La Belle Époque? The B oer War? The last years of Queen Victoria?

Came here to ask exactly the same Q.

Should I stick it out - I’m 10 minutes in

Stuffed up the blur for spoilers, will try again tomorrow.

Clearly they saved on production costs by filming every scene in near darkness!

1 Like

I liked it, if you watched Dark and liked it, stick it out.

Not everyone’s cup of tea perhaps just keep watching til the end of episode 1.

1 Like

I’m just watching Dark now, finished S1 and started on S2. The story is getting even more convoluted, and yet intriguing to watch.

3 Likes

It’s a period piece, a mystery piece and sci-fi piece all combined.

Passengers/immigrants of all different nationalities are travelling on a steam ship from Europe to New York. Most of the passengers have had something happen to them or by them in their past now wanting to start a new life.

There is also a ship which has been missing for 4 months, in the middle of the voyage the receive distress signals from the missing ship and the captain decides to go find the missing ship. Once they reach the missing ship strange things start to happen.

2 Likes

Jeez The Walking Dead finale was underwhelming.

1 Like

I’ll watch it tonight!
I hate myself for sticking with this show in the fruitless hope that it would come good.
They had such a good concept of a story and just killed it with the same storyline’s over and over again with no attempt to ever get to a end, the end could have been anything it they just dragged it on and on.
Any show that goes for a hour and of that is 10-15mins at the end of the producers trying to explain what the ■■■■ we just watched!

2 Likes

Very (very) late to the party but finished Breaking Bad S1 yesterday. Ignored it for years for no particularly good reason other than I’ve found many US crime series a bit ho-hum, despite rave reviews.

Needless to say, BB is not one of those. Will knock off the remaining seasons in the coming months.

8 Likes

A spoiler would have been nice @Jaymin :slightly_smiling_face:, I’ve still got the last 2 episodes to watch. :slightly_frowning_face:

I have also just finished Season 1 and onto the first few episodes of S2.

I managed to stay on top of what was happening for S1 by pausing frequently and studying the family trees online. But S2 has done my head in.

It’s a great series but it takes alot of concentration.